Ruby Questions

judyjudy56

5 hours ago, judyjudy56 said:

We will be on the Ruby in September. Does anyone know if they are sailing at full capacity and if the staffing shortages have been resolved. Are they showing movies in the theater and on MUTS. 

We're going tomorrow to Alaska and it looks like they are showing movies in the Princess Theater, and MUTS in the evenings.  But, being Alaska, I wouldn't expect to see many people at MUTS.  The last time we went to Alaska 6 years ago, there were only a few people huddled in blankets watching the movie outside.

A friend of mine is on the current cruise and he said there were a lot of empty rooms.

• Thanks 1

Years ago there was a movie my husband really wanted to see playing on MUTS so he braved the cold. The next day the same movie played in the warm Princess theater!

We will be on a coastal on the Ruby so

hopefully it won’t be too cold outside. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Just got off the Ruby...I don't know about the capacity...I didn't ask, sorry!

But lots of movies outside on MUTS and in the Princess Theater towards the end of our 10-day Alaska cruise when we were headed home and there were fewer natrualist presentations hogging the theatre! Saw "The Lost City" with Sandra Bullock in the Theatre on Friday and it was an entertaining movie.

It was my first cruise and I didn't really notice a staffing deficiency...Lots of staff asking if you'd like coffee or a beverage at the buffet after you sit down. All the bars are staffed with bartenders and waitstaff floating around, loads of photographers on board with four backdops to pick from every night. Dining room waitstaff are very attentive and our food came quickly and hot. A MDR dinner usually took our party of four (two adults and two kids) about 1.5 hours with the grownups having 3-4 courses.

The one area that was understaffed is the arts and craft sessions...especially on sea days. Only about 20-25 people were accomodated for arts and crafts sessions...People usually started lining up 20-30 minutes ahead of time. So I didn't get to learn how to fold towel animals or make friendship bracelets. Oh well! Still a fun cruise!

• Thanks 1

I'll add a question!  A friend just got back from cruising on the Ruby and said they missed Glacier Bay.  She thought it was because NCL hit an iceberg there but that happened near Hubbard Glacier.  Does anyone know why Ruby skipped Glacier Bay last week?  Seems like a big enough event that someone would have posted here but then maybe folks were just enjoying their cruise.

We were on the Ruby a few weeks ago and it was pretty much full.  The specialty restaurants, The Crown Grill and Sabatini's, were only each open on alternating nights.  The service was great throughout the entire ship, though even though I know they were a bit short staffed.  It seems as though after having to open the third MDR, they may have lost some of their wait staff to that.  But, as I said, the only problem we noticed is that it was hard to get into the specialty restaurants.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I'll add a question!  A friend just got back from cruising on the Ruby and said they missed Glacier Bay.  She thought it was because NCL hit an iceberg there but that happened near Hubbard Glacier.  Does anyone know why Ruby skipped Glacier Bay last week?  Seems like a big enough event that someone would have posted here but then maybe folks were just enjoying their cruise.

@azbirdmom That is odd...I was on the Ruby for the June 29-July 9th sailing and we visited Glacier Bay NP on July 4th!! 🇺🇸🎉  The rangers got on and did the narration during the park visit and set up the visitor's center in Skywalker's Lounge. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woostergirl said:

@azbirdmom That is odd...I was on the Ruby for the June 29-July 9th sailing and we visited Glacier Bay NP on July 4th!! 🇺🇸🎉  The rangers got on and did the narration during the park visit and set up the visitor's center in Skywalker's Lounge. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  It seemed very odd to me as well.  Maybe she took too much advantage of the drinks package and missed it?  🙂

• Haha 2