Cycling in Ketchikan?

Glopop11

I would like to rent a bicycle to explore in Ketchikan but not finding much info online, except there is a self serve bike rental near the the docks. I love exploring on my bike at home so why not in Alaska? Has anyone done this or have any thoughts? I was thinking I could ride to Saxman Village and/or Ward Cove. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any input!

we did pass some bikes in Skagway, out in the “wilderness” area. Not sure if it was an excursion or not. We were on our way to the ziplining. The bus driver called them “fast food” for the bears…. We did pass one of those also. 

• Haha 1

I’m not sure I would ride a bike to Ward Cove—what’s there to visit?  Totem Blight Park is north of Ward Cove.  To get there you are on a two lane road without bike lanes and, at times, no shoulder.  My suggestion is to take the city bus to Totem Blight ($2 each way)—and then walk around town to see the totem heritage center and hatchery.  Ketchikan is very walkable.

We have biked in Skagway and Haines a few times.  We use Sockeye Cycle (https://www.sockeyecycle.com/).  Have done tours with them (my favorite is the Rainforest ride) as well as bike rentals.  Skagway, in my opinion, is just better for exploring on a bike—less vehicle traffic and wider streets.

Edited by disneyochem