What do you do about poor butler service?

logcabin

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, with all the complaints about the butler Rey, what cabins were you in? I'm travelling with people who will be in a Suite and want to warn them ahead of time if they might get him!

Thanks!

Sail Happy

We were in 10022, Sail Happy.

This has been a very informative thread for those of us preparing to sail for the first time with a butler. For me at least, I now know what to expect and what I can do to address poor service. I am looking so forward to sailing in our Courtyard Villa on our Med cruise in May. :)

FYI, we had a butler for the first time in Oct. 04 on the Star and he was not very good. We never ordered any meals to our room. We asked him to bring us some tobasco sauce and he told us which restautant we could go get it at. We asked for a extra towel for the bar area and he told us to use one from our bathroom. Our butlers name was Arnie.

We will be on the Sun April 8th in a AC suite and i sure hope he is not our butler.

minimom:)

We had Arnie on the Star (August 05). We did not have any problems like you did, fortunately for us! The only thing we asked for was Eggs Benedict and he said "no". We had heard of others that had been successful for writing in something on the order card. That being said, we tried the same thing on the Spirit and was unsuccessful too. While he got us everything we needed, I just thought his demeanor was not as friendly as Armondo on the Spirit.

We had Arnie on the Star (August 05). We did not have any problems like you did, fortunately for us! The only thing we asked for was Eggs Benedict and he said "no". We had heard of others that had been successful for writing in something on the order card. That being said, we tried the same thing on the Spirit and was unsuccessful too. While he got us everything we needed, I just thought his demeanor was not as friendly as Armondo on the Spirit.

That's terrible that you were refused Eggs Benedict! We had them delivered both on the Dawn and on the Spirit, no questions asked. Same with hash browns. And more than once. That stinks, cruisingfromMN!

(I thought the hashbrowns were better on the Dawn, by the way. The Eggs Benedict too, actually. But I like even mediocre Eggs Benedict.:o )

Logcabin...

Here is a little tip you might want to try...Most good butlers try to meet with the passengers as soon as possible....When you first meet your butler ask him/her to get or do little something for you. After he fills you request now is the time to tip...I usually tip $20..up front..This way you've established working relationship and it should be smooth sailing from there...

Good Luck...Most butlers will do an excellent job..

I disagree. I think that a poor butler is an exception. You don't need to establish a working relationship, these folks are there to work like crazy (their choice), make good money and eventually return home. Most would refuse a tip for one request and that would be awkward.

I would go expecting good service, and if there were problems, then address it.

I would also note that if you are in a lower tier category of cabin, adjust your expectations. Some butlers can handle many cabins and treat all like royalty, but the highest attn goes to the GV, AA etc.

I'm with Greenie on this one - no way they should say "no" for a special order like Eggs Benedict. I had it every morning!

I am going on the April 9 Spirit and am in an AB suite. We have never had butler service and took this cabin more for the size than the service. That said, I am concerned reading all the posts about one bad butler making things uncomfortable. It would be my dumb luck to have spent the cash for something nice and find out that Rey is my butler. Granted, you can't prejudge, but I have yet to read a positive post about him.

Any reason why NCL would continue to keep him in such a high profile role? I can't imagine that the only complaints have come through this board.

Secondly, would it be possible to place your request in with your concierge before the trip rather than have the disruption during the vacation?

Reading thru the pages and pages of good info I am amazed that NCL allows such a difference from 1 ship or even 1 butler to another. I was fortunate enough to get upsold to the Sky Suite, AB, for the the Sun sailing April 1-8. As with many others I consider the butler just another treat to a wonderful room. My wife and two kids (3&5) are looking forward to being pampered. Has anyone had any knowledge at all about the service on the Sun ? I see alot of other ships mentioned but not the Sun. I have to agree with RichNY (not on the Yankees part) when it comes to good service. I'm always in the feeling that a good tip to start may result in more attention. I have always left a tip for housekeeping at a hotel in advance of an extended stay rather than after. Same thought here. A good tip in the beginning may at least keep you on their mind. Not to mention, if you plan on tipping it anyway, why not up front rather than back end where only your good feeling is measured as oppossed to possibly better service the whole time. Thank you to everyone on this thread as it is starting to clear up with what is expected. My expectations: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner in my room or on the balcony. Reservations/VIP service to shows. Tender VIP service. Arrival/Departure VIP service. Soda/beer in the fridge. Does anyone feel that these are unreasonable requests ? I hope not. :D

Jeff

NCL Sun April 06

Carnival Miracle Feb 05

Carnival Fascination Nov 03

NCL Sea Nov 01

RCCL ? July 99

Olympic May 97

I disagree. I think that a poor butler is an exception. You don't need to establish a working relationship, these folks are there to work like crazy (their choice), make good money and eventually return home. Most would refuse a tip for one request and that would be awkward.

I would go expecting good service, and if there were problems, then address it.

I would also note that if you are in a lower tier category of cabin, adjust your expectations. Some butlers can handle many cabins and treat all like royalty, but the highest attn goes to the GV, AA etc.

TrinaLC ~ I agree!

On our very first cruise with a butler (Ryan, wonderful) we were not sure if we should tip each day or at the end of the cruise.

We tried to tip him the first AM after he served breakfast and he REFUSED the tip.

He also reprimanded us one afternoon as I called "room service" instead of him (I didn't want to disturb him) he said "I am your butler, you call me".

Apparently, if you call RS, they, in turn, call your butler.

We never pre-tip anyone and we have received excellent service;)

IF you have a problem with your butler, just phone the HD and request a change. They will change your butler.

Sounds like with anything... good customer service depends on the person. I like your thought of switching if it's not handled well. Does anyone know if in the AB if you have to go thru the bedroom from the front door to the balcony ? I am having a hard time figuring out the layout based on a small photo. I'm trying to figure out how to get my kids to sleep and yet not disturb them when we order in the cabin late night ? In addition, on the layout, does the balcony wrap around ? Also, does anyone know if binoculars are in the suite ? Would the butler or conceirge be the person to ask about good prices on Cuban cigars and any other things local ? With their regulations is beer stocked in the fridge something possible ? To say that I'm looking forward to doing nothing and having someone help me in that task is an understatement. I have a hard time doing land trips these days, especially when I drive to my cruise departure.:D

Just returned from the STAR and had great service from our butler Valentina. We had breakfast in the cabin every morning, eggs benedict, hashbrowns and more food than we could ever eat. She would call us and see if we needed anything at least once a day, offered DVD's and checked on our plans for shore excursions and dinner reservations.

The one person we never did get to meet was our concierge Natasha. She left 2 cards on our door saying she stopped by and missed us, but we were in the room both times and she never rang the bell. We called her once to see if she could get us into Cagneys early, since when I tried all they had available was 9PM.....she couldn't help us. We made all of our own dinner reservations when we first got on the ship, so I guess we really didn't need her services.

:)

Sounds like with anything... good customer service depends on the person. I like your thought of switching if it's not handled well. Does anyone know if in the AB if you have to go thru the bedroom from the front door to the balcony ? I am having a hard time figuring out the layout based on a small photo. I'm trying to figure out how to get my kids to sleep and yet not disturb them when we order in the cabin late night ? In addition, on the layout, does the balcony wrap around ? Also, does anyone know if binoculars are in the suite ? Would the butler or conceirge be the person to ask about good prices on Cuban cigars and any other things local ? With their regulations is beer stocked in the fridge something possible ? To say that I'm looking forward to doing nothing and having someone help me in that task is an understatement. I have a hard time doing land trips these days, especially when I drive to my cruise departure.:D

Never stayed in the AB...you can look up the lay-out on-line if you don't have a book.

We never used the binoculars in the AA but have heard that they did not work.

Cuban cigars...can't help you there...ask in the cigar lounge or on-board store.

Did hear that you should be careful where you purchase.

Ask your butler for beer:)

TrinaLC ~ I agree!

On our very first cruise with a butler (Ryan, wonderful) we were not sure if we should tip each day or at the end of the cruise.

We tried to tip him the first AM after he served breakfast and he REFUSED the tip.

He also reprimanded us one afternoon as I called "room service" instead of him (I didn't want to disturb him) he said "I am your butler, you call me".

Apparently, if you call RS, they, in turn, call your butler.

We never pre-tip anyone and we have received excellent service;)

IF you have a problem with your butler, just phone the HD and request a change. They will change your butler.

Its funny that you should mention Ryan...he is one of the butlers that I pre tipped...and he ACCEPTED.

We also received excellent service...did the tip help ???....we'll never know, but I do know I didn't have any problems...and that's the point, weather you or anyone else agree or disagree..

We may be in the minority here, but we booked the suite for the extra perks, especially the butler/concierge services. Although I know from reading these boards and my past cruises that ship experiences can vary greatly, even on the same sailing, I am getting concerned that the butler issue is becoming more of a systemic problem. And considering that I paid full rate for this suite, as opposed to an upsell, I do know that I would be quite upset if the butler service is not up to par based upon prior cc threads. That said, I know that I will have a great cruise regardless and love NCL, but it would be extremely hard to stomach after paying to receive this "special" service. I just hope my non-confrontational nature will allow me to voice my concerns to the HD if there is an issue.

So on to my question - We will be in a deck 10 aft romance suite on the 5/21 Star sailing. I know it is hard to determine based on crew contracts and such, but any idea/guesses who our butler will be?

Thanks!

I'm not sure that you mentioned which ship you're on, but if it's the Dawn or Star-the balcony does not wrap

you will not disturb your children in the other bedroom

there are no binoculars but if you ask-you may get some

check this link

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/norwegiandawn.htm

Here's a link to the layout and some pics of an AB penthouse 10530 on the Dawn.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/NCL/ncldawn.htm

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Not sure if he was the same person.

When we completed our cruise, we have to fill out the comments card and boy did I give him good reviews...I also indicated a few things about the butler too :)

Nope, different Roberto - but lucky you for having such a good experience. We too left a glowing review for both on our cruise. We felt so very fortunate to have drawn an "Ace" first time around.:)

We are sailing next weekend on POAm, deck 12 cat. AE penthouse. Any recent cruiser that have had any problem or comments? Its our first time with a butler, so any other help would be great...Thanks

FYI, we had a butler for the first time in Oct. 04 on the Star and he was not very good. We never ordered any meals to our room. We asked him to bring us some tobasco sauce and he told us which restautant we could go get it at. We asked for a extra towel for the bar area and he told us to use one from our bathroom. Our butlers name was Arnie.

We will be on the Sun April 8th in a AC suite and i sure hope he is not our butler.

minimom:)

We had Arnie on the Jewel last year in Europe. He had little interest in serving us. We never had meals brought in and all we requested were copies of the daily dinner menus, (never received) one pitcher of Ice Tea each morning, (received about 7 or 12 days) and plenty of cokes for my partner, (we were in an AA and he did replinish these).

We had Ryan the previous year on Pride of Aloha and the story could not have been more night and day. The menus arrived each morning with my Ice Tea and the cokes were stacked all over the room. When we had problems with "creaking" in the cabin walls Ryan could not fix it so he just brought us an additional 3 bottles of alcohol. He figured if the creaking was keeping us awake perhaps vodka could get us through it. Ryan even took the time to sit down and visit with us, we got to know each other and it was a nice experience.

The two guys were the extremes and most others have been somewhere in the middle.

We left Ryan about 4 times more cash then Arnie. I also informed Claudio and Ruth but not Klaus of my feelings about Arnie. He was the only thing that was NOT perfect about our Jewel cruise.

Lastly, we returned today from HAL's Westerdam on a full ship charter. They have no butlers in there Suites and Penthouses. I was constantly reminding myself how good things would have been had we sailed NCL instead. You really just can't compare the two.

We had Arnie on the Jewel last year in Europe. He had little interest in serving us. We never had meals brought in and all we requested were copies of the daily dinner menus, (never received) one pitcher of Ice Tea each morning, (received about 7 or 12 days) and plenty of cokes for my partner, (we were in an AA and he did replinish these).

We had Ryan the previous year on Pride of Aloha and the story could not have been more night and day. The menus arrived each morning with my Ice Tea and the cokes were stacked all over the room. When we had problems with "creaking" in the cabin walls Ryan could not fix it so he just brought us an additional 3 bottles of alcohol. He figured if the creaking was keeping us awake perhaps vodka could get us through it. Ryan even took the time to sit down and visit with us, we got to know each other and it was a nice experience.

The two guys were the extremes and most others have been somewhere in the middle.

We left Ryan about 4 times more cash then Arnie. I also informed Claudio and Ruth but not Klaus of my feelings about Arnie. He was the only thing that was NOT perfect about our Jewel cruise.

Lastly, we returned today from HAL's Westerdam on a full ship charter. They have no butlers in there Suites and Penthouses. I was constantly reminding myself how good things would have been had we sailed NCL instead. You really just can't compare the two.

Glad to see you back on NCL :) Where did you go with HAL?

Stephen

That's not a bad idea, Riz. Part of me figures "what's the use, my letter will just go into the pile." But it would make me feel better because I think it's an important issue to be addressed for the happiness of future cruisers.

I am not looking for NCL to do anything other than make it right for future cruisers. Perhaps I will just send them my Butler Non-Chunk, tweaked a bit into letter format.

Can someone tell me who best to write to? And how to contact him/her/them? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Write to Colin Veitch

President and CEO

Norwegian Cruise Line, Ltd.

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, Florida 33126

Your letter will get addressed either by him or or someone he designates. Start at the top as these things are usually taken very seriously.

I wouldn't know, if you ask me about the concierge then I'll have something different to say. Our butler was Michael (he, I believe does all the training as he is the butler for all the new ships, he is headed to the Pearl next). He was wonderful, we had an appetizer or dessert everynight delivered. The meals were prompt. I requested a peanut butter and butter sandwich for my youngest as we were going on the catamaran and she didn't like the food that would be served. I asked for it to be delivered at 8:30 am and it was there on the dot. He was wonderful.

Archived