Table for Two question

loftken

16 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We found that being in Club Class, you usually had plenty of room between you & the next table.

I think that depends on the ship and where exactly you are sitting.

On Regal,  we had about a metre or so  between tables.  Close enough to talk to the other table occupants if you wanted to,  but not too intrusive.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think that depends on the ship and where exactly you are sitting.

On Regal,  we had about a metre or so  between tables.  Close enough to talk to the other table occupants if you wanted to,  but not too intrusive.

We quickly learn which  tables allot more space.

Unfortunately many people intrepid the lack of space as an invitation to not only say hello but to continue a conversation during the whole meal. Why do they go to the trouble to select a table for 2 and then want to talk to others during the meal is puzzling. 

Sit at a large table & talk to everyone. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not really possible with Club Dining, as the majority of tables are for two or four people. 

Then I guess it's not for you since you enjoy chatting with others on the boat. 

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Then I guess it's not for you since you enjoy chatting with others on the boat. 

Actually we enjoyed it, as we tended to eat at the same time every night (around 20:00) and soon got to know the other couples at adjoining tables who ate at the same time.  We were close enough to converse if we wanted to, but did not feel on top of one another.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Actually we enjoyed it, as we tended to eat at the same time every night (around 20:00) and soon got to know the other couples at adjoining tables who ate at the same time.  We were close enough to converse if we wanted to, but did not feel on top of one another.

That's similar to the table for 2 we always sit at except that you can arrive when you want. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

That's similar to the table for 2 we always sit at except that you can arrive when you want. 

Exactly,  and as there are relatively few guests, you normally sit at the same table each night, with the same wait staff. Which means that your favourite wine is delivered before you even get the menu !

Is it worth the premium price ? - probably not, but we did enjoy it.

• Like 1

Last cruise we refused any table for 2 that was too close to others.  The person assigning the tables rolled her eyes and eventually sat us by ourselves on a 4 top.  We had the same table for the rest of the cruise,  They dont seem to like you saying you will just go to the buffet if you cannot get reasonable seating arrangements.

2 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

Last cruise we refused any table for 2 that was too close to others

And if everyone did that, the entire evening meal service would collapse.

Why should you have preferential treatment ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Only an idiot would put the tables that close together.  There seemed to be a lot of free space but I think they wanted the tables so close so they can have less waiters.  Why don’t they put the large tables closer together to make room?  Too bad if they roll their eyes.  We weren’t the only ones rejecting the ridiculous seating arrangents.

its not only on ships, we refuse tables we dont like at land based restaurants as well.  Why not? We are paying to eat there and want to eat comfortably, not next to the kitchen or toilet or tables with a bunch of kids.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

Only an idiot would put the tables that close together.  There seemed to be a lot of free space but I think they wanted the tables so close so they can have less waiters.  Why don’t they put the large tables closer together to make room?  Too bad if they roll their eyes.  We weren’t the only ones rejecting the ridiculous seating arrangents.

its not only on ships, we refuse tables we dont like at land based restaurants as well.  Why not? We are paying to eat there and want to eat comfortably, not next to the kitchen or toilet or tables with a bunch of kids.  

Table layouts seem to be the same now as before. If you want to feed 3500 people each evening, tables have to be relatively close together.  If you don't like the table situation, fine, but again, why do you think you deserve to have a table  for four, when that means that other people will have to wait longer to eat ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Table layouts seem to be the same now as before. If you want to feed 3500 people each evening, tables have to be relatively close together.  If you don't like the table situation, fine, but again, why do you think you deserve to have a table  for four, when that means that other people will have to wait longer to eat ? 

I would rather them being uncomfortable waiting, rather than us being uncomfortable sitting 6 inches away from another table.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 5:53 PM, wowzz said:

In defense of Ms. Midge...... it was my understanding that she did not demand a four top but simply refused a jammed in two top. The host should not have rolled their eyes but tried to accommodate.

We prefer a more private table and will make this request but also try to be pleasant and understanding. If there is a short wait for example we can understand that. I agree with her that seating arrangements and the host 'management' aren't always logical. After decades of cruising I was always

amazed the many times on formal nights the host would often seat 'black tie' diners in cramped  tables and seat a couple who arrives dressed sloppily at a prime table.  JMHO

25 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

After decades of cruising I was always

amazed the many times on formal nights the host would often seat 'black tie' diners in cramped  tables and seat a couple who arrives dressed sloppily at a prime table. 

I don't know how true that statement is but I'll be following up on your observances for a prime table in the future. 😁

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

In defense of Ms. Midge...... it was my understanding that she did not demand a four top but simply refused a jammed in two top. The host should not have rolled their eyes but tried to accommodate.

We prefer a more private table and will make this request but also try to be pleasant and understanding. If there is a short wait for example we can understand that. I agree with her that seating arrangements and the host 'management' aren't always logical. After decades of cruising I was always

amazed the many times on formal nights the host would often seat 'black tie' diners in cramped  tables and seat a couple who arrives dressed sloppily at a prime table.  JMHO

Never noticed that. Most Pax at tables for 2(like us) requested such table.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, wowzz said:

When I cruise, I do it for my convenience, not for the convenience of the staff or even other passengers. I'll reject a table if it is unsuitable, and report the staff member who rolled their eyes if I caught them doing that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We do Club Class for the perks. We find no wait & overall great table location. No crowding. We've been set pretty close together on Celebrity. Though it's close, we've not felt claustrophobic. We can see why some certainly not like it.

45 minutes ago, PTMary said:

All I want is to spend a quiet dinner with my husband, not with strangers - just like at any land based restaurant. If you need to be entertained by strangers to make your cruise worthwhile, then good for you.

Same here.

Who needs all that meaningless chitchat during dinner when we just want a quiet dinner & to leave early for the show? People have all day long to talk so why is talking during dinner is so important, I'll never know. 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, Loveh2ofl said:

Exactly - we ate at a table for 2 for 15 out of 16 nights aboard the Island Princess.  The tables were close and we were able to enjoy talking with those next to us (if they were talkative) as if we were at a shared table, yet we were on our own schedule as were they.  So we didn't have to wait on everyone to be served at the same time (or waiting to start eating to be polite) as would have been the case if sitting with others.  For us it wasn't fear of Covid, it was that we wanted to make the early show every evening.  And we still got to chat with fellow cruisers.  For us the distance was not a negative.

This to me is the best of both worlds.... you can talk if you like, or not talk, but even if you do there is no reliance on each others' course schedules.  If I am lucky, the table next door will get their appetizers or entrees before I order so I can see what some of the menu items look like ahead of time 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Same here.

Who needs all that meaningless chitchat during dinner when we just want a quiet dinner & to leave early for the show? People have all day long to talk so why is talking during dinner is so important, I'll never know. 

It's been a while since I had semi-adjacent tables for two, but from what I recall, I don't think they prevent you from leaving when the other table is still eating.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

It's been a while since I had semi-adjacent tables for two, but from what I recall, I don't think they prevent you from leaving when the other table is still eating.

Oh, not at all. We just nod & say have a good night as leaving.

It just that some people (especially newbies) feel that the closeness of those types of tables compels then to have a conversation.

Why they choose that type of table to begin with is strange. 

Sit at a large table & enjoy the conversation leaving the tables for 2 for those that really want one. 

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Oh, not at all. We just nod & say have a good night as leaving.

It just that some people (especially newbies) feel that the closeness of those types of tables compels then to have a conversation.

Why they choose that type of table to begin with is strange. 

Sit at a large table & enjoy the conversation leaving the tables for 2 for those that really want one. 

I can only speak for myself (and hubby to an extent) that sometimes when asking for a 2-top and getting a close one, conversation comes up unexpectedly and we end up talking.  Same thing on trains and planes, I will bring a book or crosswords planning on keeping to myself... but something happens that leads to an idle comment, then occasionally conversation.  In the case of the MDR it is almost like an informal personality test without the commitment of an actual shared table.

So, the couple in question maybe didn't plan on talking to anyone when they asked for the table for two, but found you likeable and changed their plans 🙂

• Like 1