Covid vaccination - documentation requirements

Jchivers

We're on Trade Routes of the Middle Ages (Bergen - Barcelona) in September; and my reading of the vaccination requirements in MVJ are:  Viking requires all passengers to be fully vaccinated; France, Netherlands and Spain require that we have received a booster if our initial vaccination is more than 270 days old, and to fill out a declaration form.

Do we need to also show our CDC paper vaccination cards?  Or is everything based on the declaration forms and our promise (under penalty of perjury) that we're telling the truth?

Does the US require testing for us to fly home?

(I can't find my CDC card at the moment.  I have a picture of it on my phone ... and a digital vaccination record on my phone from the state of California.  I'm hoping the card shows up but I'm freaking out a bit.)

13 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

Do we need to also show our CDC paper vaccination cards?  Or is everything based on the declaration forms and our promise (under penalty of perjury) that we're telling the truth?

Here is what Viking says they require.  So yes, the CDC card and Verifly

3BF57E4A-4C9F-436C-8B34-E6B69A2A55FC.thumb.jpeg.9c2f40597f152bd6b13a28da9ca894c7.jpeg

VeriFLY is required "for all cruise ship passengers in the United States".  That wording is ambiguous....does that mean cruises that start/end in the US?  (Which would not apply to Trade Routes of the Middle Age) or does it mean all American passengers?

23 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

Which would not apply to Trade Routes of the Middle Age)

Yes, I believe you are right.  On MVJ, our Alaska cruise has the VeriFLY icon under “before you go.”  For our Med. Antiquities, there is no VeriFLY icon listed.  

51 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

I can't find my CDC card at the moment.  I have a picture of it on my phone ... and a digital vaccination record on my phone from the state of California.  I'm hoping the card shows up but I'm freaking out a bit.)

You should be able to get it reissued—there’s time. Hope it works out for you!

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, I believe you are right.  On MVJ, our Alaska cruise has the VeriFLY icon under “before you go.”  For our Med. Antiquities, there is no VeriFLY icon listed.  

Noticed today on MVJ:. New category "Pre-Travel Requirements" was added (moved from "Before You Go" category, and wording changed from "Pre-embarkation Requirements).  Also I have no Verify listing, either. Think it was removed today.  Thanks for info.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

18 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

For something as vital as proof of vaccination, the CDC paper card system is remarkably haphazard ... but that's a rant for another day.  There's no systematic way of getting a new copy.  Fortunately, the pharmacy where I got my last booster agreed to transcribe my digital vaccine record onto a new card.  So: happy ending.  But don't lose your card.

Summary of the trip requirements: testing is recommended but not required in any country (including re-entry to the US.)  Proof of vaccination is required everywhere, in various forms.

2 hours ago, Jchivers said:

For something as vital as proof of vaccination, the CDC paper card system is remarkably haphazard ... but that's a rant for another day.  There's no systematic way of getting a new copy.  Fortunately, the pharmacy where I got my last booster agreed to transcribe my digital vaccine record onto a new card.  So: happy ending.  But don't lose your card.

Summary of the trip requirements: testing is recommended but not required in any country (including re-entry to the US.)  Proof of vaccination is required everywhere, in various forms.

No kidding, this paper copy is a joke! And with already two boosters, the back of the card is half full already

23 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I went to a UPS Store and had 3 laminated copies made, and brought them with me, leaving the original at home. It was fortunate that I did, because I managed to leave 2 copies on restaurant tables (back in March we had to show it in all restaurants in Italy).

Edited by longterm

We boarded Viking Star for the Baltic Homelands Cruise Tuesday July 12 after spending a few days in Stockholm. Viking no longer required Verifly, the airlines (Lufthansa and Iceland Air) and countries  (Germany, Iceland, Sweden)  only checked passports. My husband and I cruised Iceland with Viking last July and our friends did a river cruise with then in October, so it’s possible the records of our vaccinations are still in the system, but no one has asked to see our cards yet this cruise. 

• Like 1

I submitted my State of NM Immunization Record for Covid 19 with the SMART Health Card QR code (obtained from the state dept. of health) to VeriFLY and the positive response was immediate (as in less than a minute), and that is the “official” record. So I suspect it is adequate. But I also bought a passport sleeve for my passport with a slot for the original vax card. As safe as I can be, I guess. 

Hi TKS.  As you can see we are from Santa Fe also.  So I had to chuckle at your post.  Like so many in Santa Fe, we had to go out of state when the vaccines first appeared on the scene.  No NM health records for us.  We got ours from Colorado!  And many friends went to Texas.  But VeriFLY always accepted the uploaded photos of our cards almost instantly. I just wish they would retain them.  Every trip, we have to go through the same process over again.  And now our second booster is written on the back of the CDC card.  No way to show that, and that’s the one that counts now.  The efficacy of the first two has long waned!

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

And now our second booster is written on the back of the CDC card.  No way to show that, and that’s the one that counts now.  The efficacy of the first two has long waned!

Just take a pic of front and back and upload both to Verifly—that’s what we did in March—no problems.

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Hi TKS.  As you can see we are from Santa Fe also.  So I had to chuckle at your post.  Like so many in Santa Fe, we had to go out of state when the vaccines first appeared on the scene.  No NM health records for us.  We got ours from Colorado!  And many friends went to Texas.  But VeriFLY always accepted the uploaded photos of our cards almost instantly. I just wish they would retain them.  Every trip, we have to go through the same process over again.  And now our second booster is written on the back of the CDC card.  No way to show that, and that’s the one that counts now.  The efficacy of the first two has long waned!

What are you calling "our second booster"?  A fourth shot, or a third, total? 

And when you say "that's the one that counts now", are you talking about medically (true) , or required *for the cruise line*  (I was not aware that any cruise lines or countries now require to be up to date with *four* shots ,  if Moderna or Pfizer, rather than just 3 shots). 

If it is 4 shots now for Viking , then I thank you for the update, as I am considering a cruise with DH on it (first Viking cruise) and he has been hesitant to get a 4th shot due to serious problems with the 3rd Moderna a few months  (what we call "the first booster" here, i.e., the one after the first 2 shots when the vaccine first came out).  Same problem a close friend had. 

I am so sorry to muddy the waters.  Viking only requires the first set of two shots, or with J and J one, I guess.  But many countries require more. A booster so many days from boarding or entering.  It is just a mess.  And so hard to figure out. We have had two boosters, but I don’t think any country requires that.  Good luck and so sorry again to cause you concern. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:39 PM, SantaFe1 said:

I might also add that the most common thing I see fromEuropean countries, not Viking, is a first shot or booster 270 days out or sooner.  Hope this helps, and again,sorry for the confusion.

I recently saw this discussion on another site and someone interpreted the 270 day requirement as having to have had a booster within 270 days of your original vaccination, NOT within 270 days of your trip. I read it as within 270 days of trip, but when you reread the France/Italy stipulations, it is confusing. Opinions?  

Edited by lisaatric
Clarity