Another opinion please on an evening dress

I believe I absolutely love this dress and I know I love the price, but I'd love anyone's comments before I make my purchase. And, I'm telling myself...."this is it! Not another purchase for the cruise!" :D

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?StyleID=2809442&Category=2376788%7E6002242%7E2385428&ProductFinder=True&pfindid=11

I almost bought that same dress, in the apple color, myself a few weeks ago. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I have sooooo many formal outfits, dresses, cocktail dresses, new satin pants, etc...

I think it's a great buy, many times a shawl alone will cost more than that!

Oh! It's drop-dead beautiful! And I love Betsy and Adam dresses. I think they fit the best.

I've just purchsed it! I just can't believe the price, especially out of Nordstroms! With that price, I can buy the red one to wear while cooking breakfast in the morning!:D

How do they fit? Generous fit or slim? It looks like it'd be a good fit for an hourglass figure. Got the small waist, but the hips always give me trouble with sizing.

I've just purchsed it! I just can't believe the price, especially out of Nordstroms! With that price, I can buy the red one to wear while cooking breakfast in the morning!:D

How do they fit? Generous fit or slim? It looks like it'd be a good fit for an hourglass figure. Got the small waist, but the hips always give me trouble with sizing.

Isn't it great? I ordered my dress from Nordstrom as well (online they seem to offer so much more at more affordable prices.)

My hips give me trouble with sizing too. I'm 'short-torsoed' so it's a pain sometimes finding the right dress. The Betsy and Adam dresses kind of 'elongated' it for me, and gave more free room for my hips. They're the most figure-flattering dresses out there, IMHO. I'd say they are more of a 'generous fit' even though they do have other form-fitting dresses. I love, too, that if you like a certain style, they usually have several colors! Let us know how well you like it!

Now, for the next question........

Should I wear a strapless bra with this dress? I see that the straps appear like they could cover bra straps, but I hate bra straps peeking through and am always worrying that I'm showing off four straps instead of just two!:rolleyes:

I would count on wearing a strapless bra, but when you get the dress home try it on with a reg. bra and see how it looks. The straps may cover it enough. But I agree I wouldn't want my straps showing.:o

I'd wear a strapless bra, just because I'd worry about the bra straps moving and showing. Unless you can find a bra that has straps that don't look like bra straps, made of rhinestones or something. Then I don't think it'd matter if they tried to peek out.

thank you thank you thank you! I just ordered this an a bunch of other things at these incredible sale prices! I didn't want to spend too much on formal wear, since I don't usually have any need .... so this is a great option - even if I never wear it again! But I found some great cocktail dresses and day wear on the Nordstroms site - also at amazing prices, so I am triply grateful!

I just ordered this an a bunch of other things at these incredible sale prices!

Hey there, when are you taking your cruise? I'm on the Star Princess 04/02/06......If you're on the same ship, we'll have to toss a coin to see who wears it first !:D :D

I thought Nordstroms had great items on sale - this on I got in their 70% sale. I saw a few other dresses, but I was always one size off. I'm like you, I didn't want to spend $$$$$ on dresses that I wouldn't be able to wear again. We don't get a lot of formal occasions up here in the Northeast!

FYI to any ladies who are large busted and are having problems finding swimsuits that don't give you a uni-boob. Try Exelnt Designs.....just got a tankini top that is not only in a DD, but it gives me a nice natural look of support that I've not been able to find anywhere. The same for "Her Room.com" for bras.......they actually have strapless bras that give you the support, but you don't look like Wonder Woman! :D

PammyJeanB - don't worry - we're on a July transatlantic, so we won't run the risk of showing up in the same dress one night. But - thanks to your tip, I wonder if anyone else buying off the Nordstrom's site shouldn't first confirm their ship/sailing!!!!

Have a great one!

Now, for the next question........

Should I wear a strapless bra with this dress? I see that the straps appear like they could cover bra straps, but I hate bra straps peeking through and am always worrying that I'm showing off four straps instead of just two!:rolleyes:

See my thread called A new lingerie thing-a-ma-bob

I think you can buy it from Target. It's a little plastic thing that holds the straps back. It's called www.thestrappy.com

I agree that visible bra straps cheapen a look and this "thingy will take care of the problem.

Your other comment about sizing - I think I read in the copy that the dress runs on the small side so those between sizes should size up. Double check!

Let us know how it fits.

Jane

I love this dress so much that I bought one! :D Don't worry though, I'm on the Monarch in May so we won't be on the same ship.

Thank you for the link, I shared it with a coworker and she's buying one, too.

Thank you so much for posting this! I kinda sorta copy-catted you ;) but bought one in apple. As a "fluffy" gal, I have been having SUCH a hard time finding flattering formals (and at a reasonable price, since I don't have much need outside this cruise).

OK, ladies - opinions on accessorizing this dress (in red)? What color shoes, etc? I'm not a big fan of gold accessories, but that seems to be the "in" color this season... Honestly, I'm thinking red strappy beaded sandals, no necklace, maybe a nice bracelet, can't do earrings (allergic)...

Heather

Your other comment about sizing - I think I read in the copy that the dress runs on the small side so those between sizes should size up. Double check!

I think I know what comment you're referring to and it describes the shape of the dress. I don't think it means that it's slim fitting or runs to the small side. But, it does travel your shape as opposed to something a little straighter. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that this is what it means. I clicked on that message and it just described pretty much what I said.

I'll let ya know!

Thanks, everyone, for all the great comments and I'm glad that I helped some find a really nice dress!:D Isn't that what's these threads are about??;)

Thank you so much for posting this! I kinda sorta copy-catted you ;) but bought one in apple. As a "fluffy" gal, I have been having SUCH a hard time finding flattering formals (and at a reasonable price, since I don't have much need outside this cruise).

OK, ladies - opinions on accessorizing this dress (in red)? What color shoes, etc? I'm not a big fan of gold accessories, but that seems to be the "in" color this season... Honestly, I'm thinking red strappy beaded sandals, no necklace, maybe a nice bracelet, can't do earrings (allergic)...

Heather

I like silver and red personally but I'm not a gold fan to begin with. Now, if it were burgundy, I think I'd like gold better with it, but with that shade, silver would be good imo.

My daughter's bridesmaids wore Apple dresses from David's Bridal. She let each girl pick out their own dress as long as it was apple and long- that way they were able to pick out dresses that they could wear again and one that they could afford. To further help cut down the expense, she told them they could wear black shoes of their choice. Even the flower girls wore apple and white dresses with black shoes.

It was a very nice combination - most of the girls wore strappy black sandals and they looked great.

The problem with red shoes is that the apple color is not a real red nor is it a a burgundy. Depending on the light, the color looks a little different. In the pictures, apple looks red - in the person it had more of a cranberry tone to it. Unless you get shoes dyed to match, you might have the right red.

Archived