Naples to Amalfi to Rome prior to a cruise

Choozin Croozin

My dh and I am taking a cruise from Civitavecchia next October. It is a TA so unfortunately it does not go south. I would love to experience the Amalfi Coast prior to the cruise. What I was thinking was to fly into Naple (the closest) and either stay there and take a tour that goes south along the coast or fly to Naples and go to Amalfi for a couple of days and then head to Rome for a couple of days prior to the cruise. BTW it is a 15 day cruise so there will be 2 suitcases (and we are seniors). Is this a totally off the wall? Has anyone done this? Is this doable? TYIA

Sure, it's possible.

One thing to consider is packing what you'd need for your trip to Naples/Amalfi in a carry on bag and checking the rest of your luggage at the train station in Rome when you change trains to head to Naples.  That will make your trip much easier.

As for where to stay, it depends on your interests.  If the coast is what you're going for, do stay there.  It's easy to reach by train from Rome (to Salerno) followed by a ferry.

Edited to add:

I just noticed that you're thinking of flying into Naples.  The same idea works there, check your big bags at the Naples train station left luggage office.

For what it's worth, from Naples or Rome you'll have a two step process to get to the coast, I think it's easier to fly into Rome and leave your things there and may be less expensive as well.  Flying into Naples also means a stop somewhere else in Europe on the way, there are very few transatlantic flights direct to Naples.

Edited by euro cruiser

It's fun to try new things, new ways of getting around.  The high speed trains in Italy are fast and efficient.  If you fly into Rome there is a non-stop train right from the airport to the main station in Rome, Termini.  There you would change for a high speed train to Salerno (if going to the Amalfi Coast).  There is a left luggage office in the train station, very secure, so you can safely leave everything you don't need for your side trip there.

Kpoint is the company that provides the luggage storage service at Termini (they also have the service at Naples Centrale).  Their home page is in English here:  Deposito bagagli all'interno delle stazioni | KiBag

The specific page with rates for Termini is only in Italian, but google translate will make it clear:  Deposito bagagli all'interno delle stazioni | KiBag

They offer other luggage services as well, you could use their chat function to find out about them.  They might offer forwarding service so your bags would meet you at the port.

Your plan is very doable and is exactly what we are doing this fall.  The train options into the Amalfi Coast from Naples are limited (e.g., we plan to stay in Amalfi which we can’t reach by train).  So we are keeping our luggage with us, flying into Naples, and using Naples Drivers and Guides car service.  Through out the booking process they have been excellent so we are very hopeful about the car service they will provide.  We have also booked them to take us from Amalfi to Rome.  We are glad to be avoiding the challenges of changing trains and getting our luggage on and off of them and/or paying to store it in a place where we don’t know how clean it will be (bed bug worries).  We know that Italy has great trains and we did 3 weeks in Northern Italy in May on the train but given that we want to go to the Amalfi Coast we are taking a local recommendation to heart and using a car service.