Shore to Ship phone calls

dcwlopez

I tried using the search engine for this and didn't come up with anything. Has anyone received a phone call from shore while onboard? If someone needs to contact us (we're leaving our son with the Grandmothers) do they have to pay for the phone call or does it go on the shipboard account?

I needed to call my in-laws about the death of a very dear friend, in fact, this person was originally planning to join them on the cruise. The cost to me was over $50 and I was only able to leave a message, they were not in their room. I do not believe they had any charges since this was shore-to-ship.

Phone/Fax

Friends or family can reach you 24 hours a day via Celebrity's Satellite Service. Before you depart for your cruise, leave the following number with anyone wanting to reach you: 877-266-1020.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000EvhrNR2fLoTQpCIy2OUD3xA:1028etq20?pagename=staying_in_touch&cS=NAVBAR

At the link above there are also Fax Numbers.

Each PAX also receives a personilized e-mail address and when you receive an e-mail a message light come your phone.

We also had a call from our daughter while on a cruise aboard the Constellation. We were not in our room at the time, so she left a message. Her charges were about $60.00, but we had no charges levied against our acct. Upon recieving the message, I sent an email requesting details and had a dialogue going within a few hours of being alerted.

We have, since that occurance, set up a schedule to exchange emails at regular intervals while on a cruise. We have however had periods of up to four or five days when the internet was down while we were onboard.

Petert

Thanks for the warning. I'm hoping that there is no need to contact us, but I will warn them about the costs.

We've never had to use it (touch wood) but we always give the contact info to family and encourage them to send a fax rather than calling, as it would seem to be the most efficient way - they should only pay for the time for the fax machine to connect. It has to be less than a phone call even to just leave a voice message. This is just my assumption - I'd love to hear from someone who has received a fax at sea what the charges were.

We also tell people that we'll check e-mail "occasionally" which usually means on port days if we have time to find an internet cafe. Depending on where we are crusing, our cell phones may also work in port so we can check for messages at home.

I read that you can set up a cruise specific email and that if someone sends you an email to that address you are somehow notified of this. Has anyone tried using this and does it work? I'm hoping that this would be cheaper than a $60 phone call just to leave a message.

DH and I were on a cruise in Alaska on 9/11/01. I placed a call to my Mom re our daughter who was in Cairo, Egypt at the time. The call to my Mom was $57.00 for something like three to four minutes. Four times a day for the next two days we kept checking for an e-mail from our daughter, finally received an e-mail and all I can say is thank goodness for e-mails. What a wonderful way to communicate!

Archived