Which is the best Alaskan excursion to see wildlife

TheSeagoer

Whale watching & Mendenhall Glacier combo tour in Juneau. 

Rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon or take the Yukon Bus Tour with Chilkoot Tours. You will need a passport and to complete a 2nd ArriveCAN request after the initial one for  the ship in Seattle.

25 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon or take the Yukon Bus Tour with Chilkoot Tours. You will need a passport and to complete a 2nd ArriveCAN request after the initial one for  the ship in Seattle.

Thank you. I think everyone might have todo the ClArriveCan as we stop in Victoria

Edited by TheSeagoer

23 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I also highly recommend the Yukon bus tour with Chilkoot Tours.  Well worth the time and money, and it goes much further than the train.  Once with another cruise line I was able to do the Yukon tour which dropped passengers at the train station partway back, so we could take the train into Skagway.  That was one of my all-time favorite tours.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheSeagoer said:

Thank you. I think everyone might have todo the ClArriveCan as we stop in Victoria

Yes, you will need to complete ArriveCAN to board the ship in Seattle, showing arriving by cruise ship in Victoria. If you go to the Yukon, you would complete a 2nd ArriveCAN request for a land entrance at Fraser.

• Like 1

Second the whale watching and Mendenhall glacier tour.  We saw sea otters, humpback whales,  killer whales,  and of course , bald eagles.  Salmon swimming upstream at the park where the trail to the glacier is.  Wasn't lucky enough to see bears there.  And , as always, much cheaper to do this on a private tour than with Carnival 

Best Alaska wildlife excursion is Crab Fishing in Ketchikan where the boat stops to feed eagles for about 30 minutes.  I counted at least 50 on my last visit taking turns swooping down from the trees to snatch fish in their talons.  Even if you close your eyes and just press the button on your camera, you will get some good photos.  If you have high speed and tracking set on your camera, you will get amazing photos.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050039.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5236164-2.jpg

Here are more photos of what you will experience:  Crab Fishing Link

I will somewhat agree the Mendenhall Glacier with Whales... we saw at least 15 bald eagles on the van on the way to the boat plus we saw at least 4 or 5 whales at a distance...  but that was sorta "Wah Wah"    I would also recommend the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour....of course... I'm not sure that's really "wildlife" but it was the single best tour or excursion we may have ever taken off a boat.  I did an in-depth review of it in my trip report with pics (link in my signature).   You will see and hold starfish, shrimp, various types of crabs, octopus, etc... plus the bald eagles.... that was such a surprise and so wonderful.  I didn't write about the eagles in my review because I wanted others to be surprised - it was amazing.  I seriously have never wanted to recommend a tour so much in my life.  Amazing. 

IMG_1702.JPEG

IMG_0321_(1).JPG

Edited by CupKayke