'Cruise-specific' insurance

Our travel insurance covers us for 'travelling on a cruise ship' and easily covers the emergency medical expenses requirements, emergency repatriation and Covid 19 etc. However, it specifically says it is not a 'cruise specific' policy as it does not provide for missed ports of call or missed excursions due to a change in itinerary ( not a problem). The email we had from our TA says it needs to be 'cruise specific' . Any thoughts?

25 minutes ago, MrsHFQ said:

Our travel insurance covers us for 'travelling on a cruise ship' and easily covers the emergency medical expenses requirements, emergency repatriation and Covid 19 etc. However, it specifically says it is not a 'cruise specific' policy as it does not provide for missed ports of call or missed excursions due to a change in itinerary ( not a problem). The email we had from our TA says it needs to be 'cruise specific' . Any thoughts?

I wouldn’t worry about it and that’s a odd comment if the TA is experienced. The dollar amount for changes in itinerary are usually  very low anyway and the polices are more expensive. Just a sales tatic.

The emergency medical is the important part for us and we use 3rd party like Allianz that has high limits.

17 minutes ago, MrsHFQ said:

Sounds odd to me. Some UK insurance policies specifically exclude cruises but yours doesn't. A few years ago a few companies started to add a premium for missed ports etc but frankly it never made sense as ships automatically refunded these. 

Your booking is bound by Royal Caribbean's booking conditions (clause 1.12 ) and from what you describe the insurance you have meets those conditions. If you are still worried give your Travel Agent the policy details and ask them to confirm in writing what is not acceptable. We use Nationwide's insurance without the added "cruise benefits" and have never had an issue. Good luck, Geoff

I've not seen any travel insurance that pays anything for missed ports.  Looking back at a few policies I've had, this is the only mention I found:

Itinerary Change
In the event a cruise/tour supplier makes a change in Your
Covered Trip itinerary which prevents You from participating
in an event/activity prepaid prior to departure and scheduled
on Your Covered Trip itinerary, Your non-refundable prepaid
event/activity expenses will be payable up to $250.
Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled
during the course of Your Covered Trip.
Verification by the cruise/tour supplier of the change in the
scheduled Covered Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim
payment.

9 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I wouldn’t worry about it and that’s a odd comment if the TA is experienced. The dollar amount for changes in itinerary are usually  very low anyway and the polices are more expensive. Just a sales tatic.

The emergency medical is the important part for us and we use 3rd party like Allianz that has high limits.

Different for you in the US, poster is in the UK hence my reply.

1 minute ago, rudeney said:

I've not seen any travel insurance that pays anything for missed ports.  Looking back at a few policies I've had, this is the only mention I found:

Itinerary Change
In the event a cruise/tour supplier makes a change in Your
Covered Trip itinerary which prevents You from participating
in an event/activity prepaid prior to departure and scheduled
on Your Covered Trip itinerary, Your non-refundable prepaid
event/activity expenses will be payable up to $250.
Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled
during the course of Your Covered Trip.
Verification by the cruise/tour supplier of the change in the
scheduled Covered Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim
payment.

There are in UK, but for me the "added benefits" don't justify the cost.

As long as your travel insurance covers issues whilst on a Cruise Ship and is able to cover getting you back home for illnesses / medical incidents whilst on a Cruise Ship or accidental or deliberate abandonment by the Cruise Ship, issues whilst on land, you should be ok. Missed ports is generally covered by the Cruise Line, but doesn't cover private excursions if the port has been missed.

2 hours ago, novicetraveller said:

As long as your travel insurance covers issues whilst on a Cruise Ship and is able to cover getting you back home for illnesses / medical incidents whilst on a Cruise Ship or accidental or deliberate abandonment by the Cruise Ship, issues whilst on land, you should be ok. Missed ports is generally covered by the Cruise Line, but doesn't cover private excursions if the port has been missed.

Private excursions depend on the supplier. We always useToursbylocals - their standard (free) conditions include: full refund if the ship doesn't dock, full cost of getting you to the next port if you miss the ship. We have used TBL in Europe, Japan, China, South America, the Gulf etc and have never had a bad guide. You book direct with the Guide, pay via TBL in Canada and the Guide only gets paid when they have successfully completed the tour.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Sounds odd to me. Some UK insurance policies specifically exclude cruises but yours doesn't. A few years ago a few companies started to add a premium for missed ports etc but frankly it never made sense as ships automatically refunded these. 

Your booking is bound by Royal Caribbean's booking conditions (clause 1.12 ) and from what you describe the insurance you have meets those conditions. If you are still worried give your Travel Agent the policy details and ask them to confirm in writing what is not acceptable. We use Nationwide's insurance without the added "cruise benefits" and have never had an issue. Good luck, Geoff

Thanks. I'm not bothered about the missed ports cover - I know no itinerary is guaranteed and also as we have booked excursions through RC I know those will be refunded if cancelled. I was just concerned about the 'cruise specific' phrase - as to whether the insurance has to say it's 'cruise specific' or just be clear that it does cover cruise travel. Will ring the TA in the morning - it's a generic email from the company so will just check. Our insurance is through our Lloyds bank account

Out of interest - where can I find the booking conditions....?

2 hours ago, novicetraveller said:

Looks like it does .....but who knows with insurance until you claim on it....?!😂

I have been looking at insurance and wow very expensive.  I don't know what to do.  We are doing a 3B leaving from Los Angles going through the Canal to New Orleans (first leg). Then the next two legs are going from New Orleans to Mexico.  Should these be booked as three separate trips?  They were all booked as individual cruises.    Cost is much less this way.  Or is it more a one long trip for insurance purposes?

6 minutes ago, imola said:

I have been looking at insurance and wow very expensive.  I don't know what to do.  We are doing a 3B leaving from Los Angles going through the Canal to New Orleans (first leg). Then the next two legs are going from New Orleans to Mexico.  Should these be booked as three separate trips?  They were all booked as individual cruises.    Cost is much less this way.  Or is it more a one long trip for insurance purposes?

You can buy an annual policy.

There is a CC forum for insurance:  Cruise/Travel Insurance - Cruise Critic Community

Does anyone have experience of what happens if you test positive between cruises. We have a 7 night leaving Seattle and then three nights in Vancouver before boarding Quantum.  Our concern is picking up covid on the first cruise and testing positive in Vancouver before we board Quantum. Seems like lots of people start to have symptoms a day or so after getting off the ship. Hopefully testing will be over in the next month or so.

7 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Does anyone have experience of what happens if you test positive between cruises. We have a 7 night leaving Seattle and then three nights in Vancouver before boarding Quantum.  Our concern is picking up covid on the first cruise and testing positive in Vancouver before we board Quantum. Seems like lots of people start to have symptoms a day or so after getting off the ship. Hopefully testing will be over in the next month or so.

You will not be permitted to board the second cruise unless you test negative.  They are supposed to refund everything.  (I assume that this cruise is coming up soon)

28 minutes ago, imola said:

I recommend calling the insurance company vs. an answer on social media. But my guess is one policy with total cost dated the day you leave till you are back home. I can just see things going wrong with claims with separate policies. 

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

You will not be permitted to board the second cruise unless you test negative.  They are supposed to refund everything.  (I assume that this cruise is coming up soon)

It is in Sep. Looking for type of insurance to cover lost airfare from Honolulu return flight and getting a last minute flight back to California from Vancouver and possible extra hotel stay in Vancouver.

2 hours ago, MrsHFQ said:

Thanks. I'm not bothered about the missed ports cover - I know no itinerary is guaranteed and also as we have booked excursions through RC I know those will be refunded if cancelled. I was just concerned about the 'cruise specific' phrase - as to whether the insurance has to say it's 'cruise specific' or just be clear that it does cover cruise travel. Will ring the TA in the morning - it's a generic email from the company so will just check. Our insurance is through our Lloyds bank account

Out of interest - where can I find the booking conditions....?

On the Royal Caribbean site make sure you put UK as the conditions vary.

5 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

It is in Sep. Looking for type of insurance to cover lost airfare from Honolulu return flight and getting a last minute flight back to California from Vancouver and possible extra hotel stay in Vancouver.

Follow the link I posted above, and then call  Steve Dasseos.  He will steer you in the right direction, if there is a policy that will cover your needs.

33 minutes ago, imola said:

Very straight forward in the UK - the trip must start and end here. If you have Annual Insurance and you do B2B with each part starting out of say Southampton it counts as 2 trips.

2 hours ago, MrsHFQ said:

Looks like it does .....but who knows with insurance until you claim on it....?!😂

Which is why we have stuck to Nationwide . Several claims including one for over 💲20,000, which included hospital, extra meds, extra hotel and rearranged flights LA to Auckland. All due to illness on days 2 to 4 of a 90 day trip which included 5 x B2B on Solstice in the middle. We completed the trip without further incident and there was no increase in premiums on renewal. 

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Follow the link I posted above, and then call  Steve Dasseos.  He will steer you in the right direction, if there is a policy that will cover your needs.

I have his number on my "to do" list.  However this cost at his site was pretty high but I still want to speak with him. 

On 7/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, the penguins said:

I rang my TA who couldn't really answer my question and give me a definite 'yes' about my policy (not a surprise really as she hasn't read it) but it seems to cover all the things that she said it should. She said that she would ring RC and ask if it has to be 'cruise-specific' or just cover cruises and was told that travel insurance isn't mandatory .....! I thought we now had to show proof before boarding? Anyway, having read all I can on the RC website and re-read our policy I'm pretty sure it covers what it needs to cover