What to do in Cabo San Lucas

dacf

We'll be on Navigator of the Seas for the Sept. 23rd sail and will be docked in Cabo San Lucas from 12:30pm - 8pm.   This is the only port we don't have anything planned yet.  We are interested in the glass bottom boat tour that takes you out to the arch and then to lovers beach and divorce beach, but I understand that it's only an hour long tour.   Does anyone have an suggestions on what else we can do there?  We're interested in boogie boarding and my husband would be interested in another surf lesson if they do that there too?  Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks for any help anyone can offer.

You can grab the glass-bottom boat trip to the Arch (with a drive-by of Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, the stinking sea lion colony and Medano Beach) from the dock as soon as you get off the tender.  No need for reservations or advance ticketing.  Hordes of locals selling these boat rides.

I don't find much else of interest in Cabo.  For drinkers, there is the Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo. Some people enjoy the "glass blowing factory" but to me, that is simply a blown glass store.

The standard Mexican tourist shops seem to be a bit more expensive in Cabo than in the other ports.  But we sometimes kill some time "shopping" in the stores around the Marina, in case something strikes our fancy.

I hope someone chimes in with boogie boarding and surf lesson tips.

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

You can grab the glass-bottom boat trip to the Arch (with a drive-by of Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, the stinking sea lion colony and Medano Beach) from the dock as soon as you get off the tender.  No need for reservations or advance ticketing.  Hordes of locals selling these boat rides.

I don't find much else of interest in Cabo.  For drinkers, there is the Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo. Some people enjoy the "glass blowing factory" but to me, that is simply a blown glass store.

The standard Mexican tourist shops seem to be a bit more expensive in Cabo than in the other ports.  But we sometimes kill some time "shopping" in the stores around the Marina, in case something strikes our fancy.

Thanks for your feedback!  I actually found an excursion that offers boogie boarding and surfing lessons but they're different tours.   It would be good if we could find 1 tour that covered both since I won't surf.  Neither of us are drinkers.   Are there locals selling their tours as soon as you get off?  So ya, if there is anyone else out there who has been please weigh in, it would be much appreciated!

In order to get from the tender dock to anywhere, you have to run the gauntlet of locals trying to sell you tours, including the glass-bottom boat tours.  There is a short section of the pier that they are not allowed onto for security reasons, but once you enter the public area, you are fair game.

Your time in Cabo is short, so I'd grab the boogie boarding and let your husband do a surf lesson at one of the other ports where you can do your own thing.  (Unless you'd rather stay with him and make fun of his attempts!!)

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, Mike45LC said:

Hi Mike. We are considering doing a boat ride to the arch and whatever other stuff comes with it. Any suggestions as to how to proceed into the 'hoards of locals' to arrange this? Are they all the same?

On 7/30/2022 at 12:30 PM, Mike45LC said:

They are all the same, and they all speak English.  As you know, the boat ride is about an hour (unless you decide to get dropped off at Medano Beach), so you might have time for boogie boarding as well.

Hi Mike,  I just found out the boogie boarding and surfing lessons is not possible.  Unfortunately the latest excursion of both leaves just as the ship is docking, and we still have to tender across.  So now we're thinking of getting dropped off at Medano Beach for a bit.   Have you been?  Do you know if we could rent a large umbrella and chairs for shade?  

Dacf:  Loungers and umbrellas are available at multiple locations on the beach.  Most of the providers are restaurants/bars that will allow you to use them for free as long as you are eating and drinking.  The chairs and umbrellas are a courtesy to the patrons.

I am not able to lie down and relax at the beach anymore, so I don't know what the minimum spend would be for long-term usage.  I am occupying the lounger or chair only long enough to eat, and then I want to move along.    

Do yourself a favor and search this forum for Stone Island in Mazatlan. Another good beach to visit.

• Like 1

Do the hordes of boat-tour sellers also have a non-glass boat, just regular boat tour? How much is the going rate for these tours? Is there room for haggling for these tours?

Do most people choose to get dropped off at Medano beach? How then do they get back to the cruise port?

Does Cabo have a central historical area that is good for exploring history? I know Mazatlan has a central plaza and Puerto Vallarta has the Centro area. 

17 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Do the hordes of boat-tour sellers also have a non-glass boat, just regular boat tour? How much is the going rate for these tours? Is there room for haggling for these tours?

Do most people choose to get dropped off at Medano beach? How then do they get back to the cruise port?

Does Cabo have a central historical area that is good for exploring history? I know Mazatlan has a central plaza and Puerto Vallarta has the Centro area. 

There are some larger boats as well, but I think those ones tend to get used for ships excursions.  There is also a small historical museum in Cabo near the marina (Museo de Historia Natural).  If you're looking for more of a town square type place you'd probably want to go to the Misión San José del Cabo, which has a plaza next to it.  I went there on a ships tour on my last cruise to Cabo.  It's still touristy, but less so than Cabo itself.  It is some distance away, but it shouldn't be too hard to find transportation to get there.

The boat tour sellers expect to negotiate.  It is part of the culture.

I have no idea if “most” people ask to get off at Medano Beach.  But it happens.  Beware that the drop off is in water about knee- to waist-high.  You have to make it to dry land yourself.  Your boat will supposedly pick you up later to return you to the docks near the tender dock, I have never tried this.  I will walk or grab a taxi back instead.

I have tried to find a historic central part of town, without success.  Use Cabo for your beach day, and Mazatlan and PV for more culture and history.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

The boat tour sellers expect to negotiate.  It is part of the culture.

I have no idea if “most” people ask to get off at Medano Beach.  But it happens.  Beware that the drop off is in water about knee- to waist-high.  You have to make it to dry land yourself.  Your boat will supposedly pick you up later to return you to the docks near the tender dock, I have never tried this.  I will walk or grab a taxi back instead.

I have tried to find a historic central part of town, without success.  Use Cabo for your beach day, and Mazatlan and PV for more culture and history.

How do you walk back to port? Don't you have to walk around the entire bay?

14 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

How do you walk back to port? Don't you have to walk around the entire bay?

It isn't a bad walk, but I am not able to attach to this post (my computer illiteracy) a MapQuest or GoogleEarth map for you.  You need to walk around the Marina, following a nice sidewalk.

21 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

It isn't a bad walk, but I am not able to attach to this post (my computer illiteracy) a MapQuest or GoogleEarth map for you.  You need to walk around the Marina, following a nice sidewalk.

Well I just looked on Google maps for directions. It looks like a 27 minute walk. 

• Thanks 1