Barcelona beaches

I'll be spending 3 days in Barcelona (first time) before boarding my cruise ship. There's evidently so much to do in Barcelona - do I want to spend any time on the beach? I love the Caribbean and the South Pacific. Crystal clear, warm waters and soft, sugary sand beaches. How would I enjoy Barcelona beaches or should I spend my limited time sightseeing?

3 hours ago, CruiseProGirl said:

I'll be spending 3 days in Barcelona (first time) before boarding my cruise ship. There's evidently so much to do in Barcelona - do I want to spend any time on the beach? I love the Caribbean and the South Pacific. Crystal clear, warm waters and soft, sugary sand beaches. How would I enjoy Barcelona beaches or should I spend my limited time sightseeing?

Barcelona is at the same latitude as Rhode Island. The Med is NOT the Caribbean or the South Pacific. It is not the tropics.

There are nice beaches, but there is no comparison. The water is always cooler and warmish only in July and August. (Still, pleasant when it is really hot out.)  The sands are generally coarser or pebbles. You get "crystal clear" around some islands and coves, but  nothing like the tropics.

Go sightseeing. 

Edited by marazul

Given three days and on a first time visit, I would recommend just sightseeing, too.

Yet, if you really like your beach break, Barcelona has the huge advantage of being a large city with the beach right there. You might include the beach like many locals do, after work resp. in your case after sightseeing, for two or three hours. It is just a bus stop away, or from some sight a walk of less than 15 minutes.