Viva Cruises

UDChE89

Has anyone taken a Viva Cruises Danube River cruise?  I’m looking at one in a few weeks due to the fact that their single supplements are low to non-existent, if you book a suite, right now.

I haven´t taken a Danube river cruise with VIVA but I have been on the new VIVA One for the christening. VIVA has an all inclusive concept with a nice bar menu. Food is pretty good as well. But you have to be aware that VIVA is basically a German river cruise company although they currently try to get the English speaking market too. So you might mainly find German passengers. The crew of course does speak English too.

There was just a media trip on the VIVA One for UK media. I saw a lot of photos on IG. So there should be some English coverage on this ship and VIVA.

People here in Germany are raving over VIVA. They deliver a great product.

steamboats

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

People here in Germany are raving over VIVA. They deliver a great product.

The parent company (if that is the structure of this company connection) Scylla has always been known for its quality and with the knowledge and expertise coming from their decades in the business, I expected Viva Cruises to be good. But it is interesting to read that you hear so much good stuff about the company. As I am not close to the cruising industry I do not get that info. Sounds like Viva Cruises is a serious competitor for Arosa and Phoenix Reisen. I would enjoy the more international crowd on Viva Cruises. Having said that, Arosa has been on the UK and US markets for a few years now. I would like to know what the ratio German language guests to non-German and native English are on both lines.

For the UK Viva Cruises could be competition for Riviera Travel.

If one is happy to accept spending time with many German guests on board (unless a charter tips the balance towards English guests being in the majority) Viva Cruises sounds a good choice. Important to note is the different set-up of booking the excursions in addition to the basic product. For me that is actually the appeal of the German cruise lines.

notamermaid

I would be concerned about booking a Danube cruise leaving in a few weeks due to the low water levels of the river. We have a cruise scheduled for September and are anxiously watching water levels. Thanks to Notamermaid for all her help in this area.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skinnylegs said:

I would be concerned about booking a Danube cruise leaving in a few weeks due to the low water levels of the river.

Thank you. Sorry, my omission. Let's see. Offer on the Danube is a Passau return trip on the Thomas Hardy. Nice 135m ship, large as such but Passau return should be okay unless Austria and Budapest get worse. I am a bit skeptical. Right now I can only see the Thomas Hardy doing the Danube in August and September.

If one can move one's holiday time into October it may be better, but no guarantee. I would not choose the offer that includes Regensburg coming from Passau.

It could be fine but one certainly needs to be prepared. Check the fine print for cancellation, altered itinerary, etc.

notamermaid

Thanks for the comments.  Used to work for a German company so I’m used to being around a lot of Germans.  I don’t have enough vacation to cover the entire time so I might have to work during some of it.  The cruise leaves on 8/23 and returns on 9/3 which is just before my 55th birthday.  If we had to bus to some of the areas I’d be okay.

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Sounds like you are very familiar with Germans, are happy to accept what nature can through at you and are flexible with what the river cruise line may do.

Reqdy to book I reckon :classic_smile:.

notamermaid

The Germans on the boat would be less likely to stab me in the back than my former coworkers.  Needed to talk to the boss since I’m a few days short on vacation but can work half days from the boat.