Which restaurants. For Christmas and New Years Eve

Cruisenewbie63

Hello. I’m hoping some of the Viking  members could advise for Christmas and New Years    Is it best to book the Restaurant? Or a specialty Restaurant?  Or is there a gala dinner / buffet as such for these two evening meals?   (Any suggestions appreciated.    ).  

also I know excursions are not listed as yet for December 22nd 2022  cruise from Miami to LA  on Viking Neptune     But do they become available so you can view them to try to help choose,  prior to becoming actually available to book?  
as I can see some excursions available to view for the same cruise in December 2023.  And wondered if they would be the same ?  Also are paid ( extra charge excursions available too?  
thank you 

2 hours ago, Cruisenewbie63 said:

Hello. I’m hoping some of the Viking  members could advise for Christmas and New Years    Is it best to book the Restaurant? Or a specialty Restaurant?  Or is there a gala dinner / buffet as such for these two evening meals?   (Any suggestions appreciated.    ).  

also I know excursions are not listed as yet for December 22nd 2022  cruise from Miami to LA  on Viking Neptune     But do they become available so you can view them to try to help choose,  prior to becoming actually available to book?  
as I can see some excursions available to view for the same cruise in December 2023.  And wondered if they would be the same ?  Also are paid ( extra charge excursions available too?  
thank you 

I think one Christmas Eve dinner we had at Manfredi’s.  New Year’s Day, there was a huge brunch given.  You find out menus the day of, usually.

We will also be on this cruise, but going the rest of the way to London.  We are just planning on playing the holiday dinners by ear.  Viking will do a great job, regardless of where you decide to eat.  
Excursions for this cruise do not open up until Oct. 6 for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I love it !! The variety is down to the individual talent and artistry of the confectioners. No buffet is ever the same.

Yep!  I’ve been on 2 of these and both were wonderful and unique.  I can’t wait to see what the Neptune does this year.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 1:27 PM, Cruisenewbie63 said:

thank you 

We will be on this cruise as well and in accordance with our cabin category our excursions booking opens on October 6th, 77 days before we sail.  Traditionally Viking would post the excursions from which you may choose (included and optional) well before the first booking date, however, things have not been 'normal" for a long time.  I would watch MVJ daily as your booking date approaches and hope for the best.  We did well with our recent British Isles Explorer despite the fact that excursions weren't posted until quite a while past our booking date.  

We are still locked into the "school year" schedule so we have taken many cruises which have included Christmas and/or New Years.   There isn't generally a big fuss over the Christmas holiday but they have gone "all out' for New Years.  There may have been a "special dinner' at the restaurant on Christmas night (Americans make a bigger fuss over Christmas Eve more than other countries) but I really don't recall specifics.  I would assume that Manfredis and the Chef's Table would stick with their usual menus but again don't specifically recall. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, molymoo said:

We will be on this cruise as well and in accordance with our cabin category our excursions booking opens on October 6th, 77 days before we sail.  Traditionally Viking would post the excursions from which you may choose (included and optional) well before the first booking date, however, things have not been 'normal" for a long time.  I would watch MVJ daily as your booking date approaches and hope for the best.  We did well with our recent British Isles Explorer despite the fact that excursions weren't posted until quite a while past our booking date.  

We are still locked into the "school year" schedule so we have taken many cruises which have included Christmas and/or New Years.   There isn't generally a big fuss over the Christmas holiday but they have gone "all out' for New Years.  There may have been a "special dinner' at the restaurant on Christmas night (Americans make a bigger fuss over Christmas Eve more than other countries) but I really don't recall specifics.  I would assume that Manfredis and the Chef's Table would stick with their usual menus but again don't specifically recall. 

Thank you for the information,  much appreciated.  I have had a peek at next years cruise which strangely enough gives excursions.  So I have had a read of these to try to get an idea.  I assume only one choice is included. And some of the  choices will be at a supplement ? 
Are  you leaving the ship in LA also?