Offshore incident on the Enchanted

carlucas

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

U.S. naval ships would drop anchor in Victoria, and every time anyone got anywhere even sort of near a ship, the ship's loud PA system would blare off and say, "there is a no-sail zone around this ship.  Leave now."    These are Canadian civilians, in Canadian waters, being blocked off by U.S. vessels.  You could hear the PA system loud and clear even on shore, which disturbed the peace in town.  If that had happened to me, I would have paid a personal visit to my MP in no time, and written a letter to the editor on CBC.

Frankly, until you know the extent of Canadian law in regards to UNCLOS and ISPS, you have no idea whether your complaint is valid or not.  The primary motivating factor would be the ISPS plan for the port of Victoria, and what they decide is the security zone requirements for a foreign naval vessel, and whether there is or isn't a physical limit of public access to a vessel that may be of high risk.  There would likely have been a continual "Pan, Pan, Pan" (urgent situation that does not pose an immediate danger to a vessel) radio call from CCG that a security zone has been established around the naval vessel, but most small boat operators don't bother to listen to VHF 16 to receive these calls, so they are not informed of the security zone.  Aspects of UNCLOS, in regards to foreign naval vessels, would also impact what the security requirements are.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

So why not make that distinction when you post instead of saying something absurd and naive like "for giggles"?

Sorry if you were offended. I modified the exact phrase used by the aviators(s)  in question, since their precise wording is not permitted  on this forum.

We got buzzed a few times by an F18 Hornet on our way back from Cabo on the Royal on the 2019 Thanksgiving Mexican Riviera Cruise. We were up in the Sanctuary so got some pretty nice views of a few passes along side the ship. The last pass was right down the ship’s center line bow to stern with both afterburners lit. Once clear of the ship, the pilot did a barrel roll and then went vertical. Highlight of the cruise for me for sure!

• Like 1