Quick question - Is there much motion at the back of the ship?

We were on Navigator and one night, it was very stormy.  It was impossible to walk around the ship without holding a rail, and while sleeping, we had to hold onto the mattress to keep from being thrown out of bed.   The next morning, we hear the crew talking about how they had run out of barf bags and carpet cleaner.  

5 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

True, but this isn't anecdotal.  It's math and geometry.  And the teetotter/fulcrum example mentioned above explains it perfectly.  If the bottom deck is swaying back a few inches from side to side.  That will likely be a couple of feet back and forth on the lido deck depending on how many decks we're talking here.  

I should've focused on that example earlier because this was also pretty much my point. The higher up in the arc in that motion, the more pronounced the motion is. I never notice any problem at all on decks 3 or 4, even in the worst weather. I remember a very bad storm in particular on Celebrity Eclipse back in 2011. I was fine on deck 4, but in our deck 8 balcony room I was fairly miserable most of that night. I still remember it clearly because it was the first time I had experienced the problem on a cruise.

But knowing vertigo like I do -- partly because of tests I've gone through to pin down the problem, plus a little sports therapy -- as compared to seasickness which is the same general thing but not necessarily the same specific thing for everybody, it can very much depend on the person. Up-and-down motion doesn't bother me nearly as much as "rocking-n-rolling" (versus lateral/flat sway) or circular motion does. I can't turn half a circle too quickly without risking my gyros going a little wacky.

6 hours ago, topnole said:

I’ve sailed all sizes of ships including 30k ton ship up to oasis class many times.  I think your point is accurate that you’re not gonna notice the difference on the biggest ships.   But the design of oasis class probably makes it less stable in rough seas because it’s so tall.   In regular weather oasis is gonna do the best.  But the differences will be more subtle regardless.  With that said, every worker I’ve ever talked with on the subject told me oasis class moved more than freedom class in the rough weather.  

"Tall" for me (as in "problem") was Carnival Legend which is about 50 narrower than Oasis class. That ship would rock like crazy in just a high wind. In fact I was on Legend  the day a pop-up storm pushed it into a Royal ship parked at the other pier.

I do certainly understand that even a "wide" and heavy ship can rock with the best (worst) of them if there's enough sea and weather pushing it. As @Ret MPsuggested, YMMV, storms vary, ship direction and speed can vary effects, all ships vary a little or a lot in their seaworthiness, regardless of size, etc. I myself greatly prefer to be on a wide-body ship in a big storm, and the lower down I am in all that motion, the better my head is gonna like me.

Thank you everyone for your replies and insightful opinions! 

I'm about to lose my mind about this cruise I"m taking.  Initially, it was going to be my mom, sister and I on the LoTS leaving Galveston on 9/11.  Then, unfortunately, my mom (82 years old) fractured her right knee a couple of Fridays ago.  We thought she still might be able to go, but yesterday morning she made the decision that she would not and explained to me later that day her decision as to why.  Naturally, I was quite gutted with her decision, but thought it was best seeing as how she did not want to exacerbate the situation with her knee, etc.

Now, here's where it gets kinda strange.  My sister called RCL about the current events and they told her that because she had a balcony room, she couldn't be the only one in there.  They were essentially telling her that she'd have to give up that room and take an interior cabin, of which they only had rooms on deck 2 and 3 (but failed to mention the one on deck 6 aft - the room was in the middle interior and 3 doors from the back of the ship).  Is this a rule with RCL that a balcony cabin has to be shared?  I think my sister said that she'd pay the difference, but it sounds like RCL wasn't having it. 

Anyways, I tried to convince my sister to let the balcony cabin go and take the interior room on deck 6 since she really balked at being on deck 2 or 3.  Well, she held her nose at deck 6.  I'm like, you're only going to be doing a few things there - sleeping, changing and using the bathroom.  Nope, she wasn't going to entertain that room.  Cue much drama from there.  In the end, though, she did manage to find a friend of hers that would go and she's now able to keep the balcony cabin.

I need a drink!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, trafaelwyr said:

Have an issue going on here in another thread, but for those in the know, is there much motion / rocking at the back of a ship?  We're possibly going to have a rebook here on deck 6 of LotS and my sister is concerned that the room at the back of the ship will experience quite a bit of motion.  Anyone who has stayed at the rear of the ship, is this true?

We nearly always get an aft balcony for the ships wake views.

We tend to book the larger ships of Royal Caribbean and P&O and to date the movement has been minimal at worst.

Graham.

IMG_20220316_163916.jpg

IMG_20220318_143452.jpg

21 hours ago, trafaelwyr said:

Have an issue going on here in another thread, but for those in the know, is there much motion / rocking at the back of a ship?  We're possibly going to have a rebook here on deck 6 of LotS and my sister is concerned that the room at the back of the ship will experience quite a bit of motion.  Anyone who has stayed at the rear of the ship, is this true?

Lowest deck mid ship has the least motion. Anywhere else it increases.

On 8/6/2022 at 8:51 PM, trafaelwyr said:

Middle low down has the least up and down motion and the least roll. Rolling is reduced by the stabilisers nothing stops the up and down. Having had 90 mph winds and 60 foot waves (Celebrity in the Antarctic) nothing gets us anywhere but the centre and nothing above deck 7 or if desperate 8. We choose the cabin we want and refuse any upgrade offers.