Magen's Bay with a senior with some mobility issues

brookmill18

We'll be going next week and have been to Sapphire Beach many years ago but didn't really like it and are thinking of trying Magen's Bay. We will have one senior with some mobility issues--mainly just that walking and stairs take extra time. But also not sure how far she can walk across sand. Do the taxis get you fairly close? Is the area to rent a chair very far down the beach? Just trying to get a sense--thank you!

Magens is more accessible than Sapphire. There is one ramp especially for wheelchairs that is close to one of the bath houses.

The taxi can drop you off right at the beach, but there is only one area that rents the chairs. The bar and food concession are also in the same area so people tend to congregate in that vicinity. The area way to the left is less crowded, has harder sand which is easier to walk on, but I'm not sure taxis are allowed in that area. 

It might be easier for you to rent a vehicle for the day so you can drive and park closer to the less crowded areas. Cars can go where taxis can't. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, brookmill18 said:

We'll be going next week and have been to Sapphire Beach many years ago but didn't really like it and are thinking of trying Magen's Bay. We will have one senior with some mobility issues--mainly just that walking and stairs take extra time. But also not sure how far she can walk across sand. Do the taxis get you fairly close? Is the area to rent a chair very far down the beach? Just trying to get a sense--thank you!

Hey there - Just seeing this - did you already cruise, and if so, do you mind sharing how it went?  I am going in January with a mobility-challenged senior (she can walk, but not for long distances) and really not sure how to make sure she gets to the beach - but we are going to try!

1 minute ago, CruzinMel said:

Hey there - Just seeing this - did you already cruise, and if so, do you mind sharing how it went?  I am going in January with a mobility-challenged senior (she can walk, but not for long distances) and really not sure how to make sure she gets to the beach - but we are going to try!

Thank you for the reminder! We went in a totally different direction and did Ocean Surfari - Reef Surfari Snorkel Excursions. They met us at the pier, took us to the shop where we boarded the snorkel boat, and then same taxi took us back. I checked ahead of time that there would be no stairs to climb getting onto boat. It was an easy ramp and they let her keep her shoes on while on the boat (soft bottom shoes). She did not snorkel, but had fun on the boat and seeing the scenery---it was lovely. Only downside was the taxi driver was honestly the rudest driver we have ever encountered. Was rude, curt and didn't so much as open a door while we helped my mom into the car. Other than that, it was a great day and we would go again. Oh--one odd thing was that while it was very easy to get onto the boat, at the end, they docked a good distance away from the pier and had a stool on the pier for people to dangle and get onto. It really was the biggest distance we have seen on a boat--quite a few people made remarks. My mom got a bit anxious but we waited until everyone was off and 2 of the young guys on the boat were super sweet and they along with my husband got her comfortable and showed her how to do it--but there was no ramp to get off.

We realized that the walking on the sand, especially in the heat, was going to be the toughest challenge, So the boat ride worked out perfectly. As an aside--my mom stayed on the ship for out St Maarten stop because of heat and worry about walking on sand and for our CoCo Cay day, we did the beach club where she was able to sit on both the day beds and the rockers under the fans.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 6:31 PM, brookmill18 said:

Thank you for the reminder! We went in a totally different direction and did Ocean Surfari - Reef Surfari Snorkel Excursions. They met us at the pier, took us to the shop where we boarded the snorkel boat, and then same taxi took us back. I checked ahead of time that there would be no stairs to climb getting onto boat. It was an easy ramp and they let her keep her shoes on while on the boat (soft bottom shoes). She did not snorkel, but had fun on the boat and seeing the scenery---it was lovely. Only downside was the taxi driver was honestly the rudest driver we have ever encountered. Was rude, curt and didn't so much as open a door while we helped my mom into the car. Other than that, it was a great day and we would go again. Oh--one odd thing was that while it was very easy to get onto the boat, at the end, they docked a good distance away from the pier and had a stool on the pier for people to dangle and get onto. It really was the biggest distance we have seen on a boat--quite a few people made remarks. My mom got a bit anxious but we waited until everyone was off and 2 of the young guys on the boat were super sweet and they along with my husband got her comfortable and showed her how to do it--but there was no ramp to get off.

We realized that the walking on the sand, especially in the heat, was going to be the toughest challenge, So the boat ride worked out perfectly. As an aside--my mom stayed on the ship for out St Maarten stop because of heat and worry about walking on sand and for our CoCo Cay day, we did the beach club where she was able to sit on both the day beds and the rockers under the fans.

Thank you,!!  I'm glad she had fun!