Disembarking & Customs in Fort Lauderdale

Liz Masterson

I've put this question up on the board for Florida Ports... but I know this group is very knowlegable, helpful, and fast at answering so...

When I get off the Viking Star in Florida after enjoying my Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal Cruise... How big a hassle should I imagine customs to be?  I am on my own for getting to the airport and I'm worried it will take to long in customs to make it to a mid morning flight... but that means I have to wait till late afternoon.

What do all you seasoned folks think?

Thank you!

Ok, no one else jumped in with recent info so I will share our pre-covid experience.  We had more issues with the ship (Cunard) than shoreside.  The people in FLL were friendly and lots of porters to help.  Immigration/customs was very quick.  We were in our rental car approximately 45 minutes after being allowed off the ship.  And 30 minutes later in Palm Beach County getting a nice speeding ticket at a radar trap......🤢  So, the port at FLL was as good as could be.  Hope it is still the same.🍸

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Customs and Immigration has gotten much better in Ft Lauderdale.  Many of the locations have photo ID cameras.  You just walk up, center your face in the device, and then you're approved.  There are no longer any forms to fill out.  We were on 4 cruises earlier this year and 3 of the 4 had the cameras.  If not, it takes just a little more time to see the officers.

• Thanks 1

I have just 2 words for US travelers: GLOBAL ENTRY! If you don't already have it, it is well worth the cost even if you travel only rarely (unless you value your time at 0$/hour). Reminder it also gives you TSA pre-check for internal US flights too. Have never had ANY delay re-entering using Global Entry. More and more US airports have kiosks.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/locations

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MPC—Mobile Passport Control. Formerly Mobile Passport through a 3rd party, now through CBC (Customs & Border Control). It’s free and it whisks you around lines and straight to baggage claim at most major cities when re-entering the U.S. Can use at Ft. Lauderdale. We’ve been using it for a few years. Love it!

• Thanks 1

We did the same cruise you are planning this last year.  Arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Christmas Eve.

CBP guys were so giddy about being back to work and that sweet Christmas overtime they just glanced at our passports and shooed us out the door.  Easiest entry I've ever experienced.

• Thanks 1