Stop Abbreviating Ship Names! (ie Mos, Eos, Sos, Ros)

People asking advice or giving tips about a particular ship, and in their entire review only use the 3 letter abbriviation, which is all fine and well except SEVERAL ships have the same initials.

Splendour of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas are all SOS

ETC ETC

Bottom line is, then the people get mad because we give them the wrong advise, or ask questions about the wrong ship. Just spell the ship out to avoid confusion, at least in the title Please!

And I think when the thread is entitled, "Need advice about Sovereign of the Seas" and the posters talk about "SOS", it's a little obvious. ;)

Michelle,

Thats what I said. I just asked people to at least say at least once what ship, somewhere. Because here is what some posts look like.

TITLE: Service on MOS

BODY: I am going on MOS out of Florida on **/** Any resent MOS cruiser, how was the service on the MOS? HOw was food, etc etc..

Obviously if they had specified in one place, it wouldn't have been an issue. (Duh)

Sorry I didn't catch the word "title" at the end until I re-read your thread. Like DougP said, it's not something to really stress over. I just think when you throw a post out there saying "Stop Abbreviated Ship Names!" it doesn't really make people do it, they'll just wonder why you are so upset about it.

JMHO

My personal favorite was the person who said he was going on EOS, any suggestions - no itinerary info, no port info nothing. When I asked which EOS, he told me the date but still no ship. Since there are 3 EOS's it was a little hard to give him information, since they are all very different ships.

I don't even bother with the "oS" part and simply use the first part of the name: Radiance, Mariner, Monarch, etc. It's quick to type and there's no confusion.

beachchick

The only problem with that is the current practice of different cruiselines giving their ships duplicative or similar names: Legend, Mariner, Navigator, Jewel, just to name a few. While the board on which the posts appear should give us a clue, many folks post their messages on the wrong board or on more than one board. Many also have a problem differentiating between NCL and RCCL so when they ask about the Jewel, who knows which ship they are actually interested in? At least adding the OS part of the ship's name clearly designates it as a Royal Caribbean.:)

Not sure that there is an easy solution except to make a further inquiry to determine exactly which ship is being referred to by the OP.

I thought the tacit agreement on this board was that the biggest ships (Voyager class) get priority with the easy abv (e.g.: EOS) because there will likely be more people asking about the Explorer of the Seas than Enchantment or Empress, because it holds more PAX. So, cruisers sailing on the smaller 2 should write out "Enchantment" or "Empress"

Just another suggestion, and it's not my own idea. I feel like this topic came up last summer...

The only problem with that is the current practice of different cruiselines giving their ships duplicative or similar names: Legend, Mariner, Navigator, Jewel, just to name a few. While the board on which the posts appear should give us a clue, many folks post their messages on the wrong board or on more than one board. Many also have a problem differentiating between NCL and RCCL so when they ask about the Jewel, who knows which ship they are actually interested in? At least adding the OS part of the ship's name clearly designates it as a Royal Caribbean.:)

Not sure that there is an easy solution except to make a further inquiry to determine exactly which ship is being referred to by the OP.

I suppose that's a valid point about some people posting to the wrong forum, but I don't really consider it an issue. I know which forum I'm posting on, so I hope that I can safely assume that if I post a question about "Mariner" on the RCI forum that anyone who reads it will know I'm referring to the Mariner..of the Seas. If I have a question about a ship (same name or not) that is NOT part of the cruise line forum I'm on, then I would spell it out. And the problem with a "tacet" agreement such as bigger ships get the preference for short referencing only works if everyone knows it--which is hardly something new posters (or long-time posters for that matter) should be expected to somehow just "know."

beachchick

Being fairly new to this board I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to the little things. My brain struggles to translate the letters into words with the ships as well as other letter combinations: DW, DN, DD, DGD, and whatever. If I use context clues I can usually grasp the meaning. (I've been assuming that the "D" stands for "Dear" not "Dumb" or "Dud" or "Deceased".) This doesn't really bother me but "abrev." are not my style of writing. I'm so old school I even feel the need to write out most numbers. It would be nice if the board had a glossary to help those of us who are not seasoned posters. Maybe there is one and I'm just too clueless to know where to look for it.

I got caught in the confusion of ship names. I was reading about the ship "Freedom" and was thinking I was reading about "Freedom of the Seas". I need to book many more cruises to help educate myself...now that's a good idea!

By the way: I sincerely thank all of you on this board for providing the information in these threads. It has been a joy to read them.

People asking advice or giving tips about a particular ship, and in their entire review only use the 3 letter abbriviation, which is all fine and well except SEVERAL ships have the same initials.

Splendour of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas are all SOS

ETC ETC

Bottom line is, then the people get mad because we give them the wrong advise, or ask questions about the wrong ship. Just spell the ship out to avoid confusion, at least in the title Please!

I usually have to see if they have the cruise listed in their calenders. If not, I gave up posting to ask them , so I just don't answer. :(

Technically, if you write a review, the way to use an accronym (SOS, MOS, etc) is to SPELL OUT the name of the ship the FIRST time you use it in your review, and then you can use the accronym throughout. Technical papers, etc. use this method often and clears up any miscommunication.

Being fairly new to this board I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to the little things. My brain struggles to translate the letters into words with the ships as well as other letter combinations: DW, DN, DD, DGD, and whatever. If I use context clues I can usually grasp the meaning. (I've been assuming that the "D" stands for "Dear" not "Dumb" or "Dud" or "Deceased".) This doesn't really bother me but "abrev." are not my style of writing. I'm so old school I even feel the need to write out most numbers. It would be nice if the board had a glossary to help those of us who are not seasoned posters. Maybe there is one and I'm just too clueless to know where to look for it.

I got caught in the confusion of ship names. I was reading about the ship "Freedom" and was thinking I was reading about "Freedom of the Seas". I need to book many more cruises to help educate myself...now that's a good idea!

By the way: I sincerely thank all of you on this board for providing the information in these threads. It has been a joy to read them.

Maybe this could help you with a few

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/acronyms.php

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/all_acronyms.php

I work for a LARGE energy firm where acronyms have gotten ridiculous. Nothing is called by it's full name anymore. There is a dictionary of acronyms on the intranet and it has over 6,000 entries. Conversations can be really funny....sometimes I laugh at myself, especially after a sentence that had 5-6 of them and the person I'm talking to has an incredulous look on their face and no clue what I just said. :)

I work for a LARGE energy firm where acronyms have gotten ridiculous. Nothing is called by it's full name anymore. There is a dictionary of acronyms on the intranet and it has over 6,000 entries. Conversations can be really funny....sometimes I laugh at myself, especially after a sentence that had 5-6 of them and the person I'm talking to has an incredulous look on their face and no clue what I just said. :)
My daughter does the same thing to me texteding LOL

Archived