Shore excursions in Russia

Sky Sweet

Last summer Celebrity offerred a two day package in Russia that was the combination of three separate shore excursions, but there are no packages on their shore excursion website at this time. Does this mean that Celebrity is no longer offering packages or that the shore excursion list for Russia is currently incomplete.

I'm sure it's just incomplete at this time, I can't imagine they wouldn't have it at all. But....consider the other options. We hired Denrus for our 2 days in Russia last summer and it was incredible.

Marilyn

We used Red October two years ago and DenRus last spring. The big advantage to using private agencies over the cruiseline's shore excursions is the ability to tour in a small group, avoid long lines and customize a tour to your particular needs and wishes. If you can get a small group together (Red October will help you to connect with others on your cruise who have already booked with them or expressed an interest in doing so), the cost is not only competitive with the cruiseline, but may very well be lower.

First I need to say that I have never been to Russia, but if I were to go my first stop would be Space city (or something like that). It's their version of Kennedy space center. I believe you can also go for a plane ride their as well.

How about Mach 1 or touching the outer limits of the atmosphere! Now that's what I call an excursion!

I'm sure it's just incomplete at this time, I can't imagine they wouldn't have it at all. But....consider the other options. We hired Denrus for our 2 days in Russia last summer and it was incredible.

Marilyn

We will be traveling with another couple, who are very good friends. Would I be able to make reservations for just the four of us, or is it necessary to put a large group together before I contact them?

We used Red October two years ago and DenRus last spring. The big advantage to using private agencies over the cruiseline's shore excursions is the ability to tour in a small group, avoid long lines and customize a tour to your particular needs and wishes. If you can get a small group together (Red October will help you to connect with others on your cruise who have already booked with them or expressed an interest in doing so), the cost is not only competitive with the cruiseline, but may very well be lower.

Did you feel Red October and Denrus were equally good, or did you prefer one to the other?

Would I be able to make reservations for just the four of us, or is it necessary to put a large group together before I contact them?

Sky Sweet - Denrus, RO, or Alla can all arrange for a "group" of any size - even one person if you're willing to pay! I've corresponded with all three in preparation for our Baltic cruise on Jewel OTS this September, and all three of them gave me prices around $1,100 - 1,200 total (not pp) for two days of touring for two of us in an air-conditioned car, with a driver and private guide, and admission to the various sites. The biggest variable for the cost (beyond the number of hours) is whether you want to have lunch in a really nice restaurant, an average restaurant, or arrange for a box lunch to eat while driving from one place to another. If you have four people, they'd probably have a mini-van with guide and driver, which would be only a little more total, but less per person, of course, since you're splitting it four ways.

If you want to join one of their large two-day bus tours, I think that the US agent for RO will take your names and add you to a list for those dates - when he gets enough (25?) then the group is a go. If he doesn't get enough I assume he'd give you the option of going but at a slightly higher rate.

We're probably going to join a small group of about 8-10 that one of our Roll Call members is organizing, with Denrus, which seems as if it will work out to around $300 - 350 pp for the two days of touring. Like most people, we don't know when we'll be back there and we want to see as much as we can! From everything we've read it seems that the smaller groups get to see more since they can generally move more quickly.

You may want to browse their websites and e-mail them - they have all been very responsive and helpful. Have a great cruise!:)

Sky Sweet,

We were very pleased with both Red October and DenRus - both were responsive, eager to please, easy to work with and both delivered what they promised.

On our first trip in 2004, we wanted to see all the "must sees" and because RO was so highly recommended by people on this board and others, and was willing to pair us up with other people from our cruise to make a small group, we went with them. No regrets - we spent two incredible days touring with a wonderful guide who made sure we saw as much of St. Petersburg and its evirons as was humanly possible - in the space of 48 hours!

When we went back in 2005, we had already seen the requisite sights and wanted a more specialized tour for just the two of us - particularly, we wanted to avoid the tourist magnets and instead see what it is like to live and work in St. P. We contacted both RO and DenRus; DenRus was more willing and able to tailor a tour to our specific wishes, so we went with them and spent two days seeing a St. Petersburg as few cruise passengers get to see it.

IMHO, you would do well to choose either tour company over the ship-sponsored shore excursions.

• 3 weeks later...

When we used Denrus it was just for my husband and myself, so we could better see what we wanted to see. If something was not as special to us, we could move on, if we liked something we could stay longer. It was a bit more expensive, but we found it to be the ideal. They also offer lunch with a Russian family in their apt. which was more than enlightening.

Marilyn

Archived