Ponta Delgada, Azores ~ Village of Sete Cidades & Wine Tasting Excursion (Celebrity)

Hello:

My husband and I will be on a Transatlantic cruise in November 2023 (Celebrity APEX) and will be visiting Ponta Delgada, Azores.

This will be our first time at this port and I found two tours that we're interested in. We will be using our OBC.

Below are the two tours that we are interested in taking.  Not sure which one would be more scenic.  

For those of you that have been to the Azores and maybe taken one of these tours, your input would be very much appreciated. 

TIA for your assistance and Happy Cruising!

Crater Lake Scenic Drive (2 hours)

Overview:  This tour makes it easy to experience one of the most incredible sights in the Azores – Sete Cidades. You’ll travel 1,900 feet above sea level to peer down at the famous twin lakes. One, which reflects the sky, is a gentle blue. The other, shaded by vegetation at the crater’s edge, is a deep green. Your drive stops at the best lookout points for unbeatable views of this natural phenomenon and incredible photo opportunities.

Highlights:  Enjoy a scenic coastal drive through the western part of Ponta Delgada before visiting the extinct crater of Sete Cidades.
Soak up the views of the famous twin lakes set deep in the volcanic crater.

Ribeira Grande & Fire Lake (3.5 hours)

Overview:  This tour winds through farmland, takes you into Ribeira Grande, and brings you to one of the most beautiful mountain lakes in the Azores. Your driver will lead you to the summit of Pico da Barrosa Mountain. From the top, you’ll be able to see Fire Lake, hailed as one of the most spectacular in Azores. Continue on a return trip that offers up incredible views of the Azores and more than 100 small volcanoes. PG02

Highlights:  Travel through the scenic countryside on your way to one of the Azores’ most spectacular interior lakes.  Pass through the island city of Ribeira Grande, one of the oldest and largest cities in the Azores.  Visit a Pineapple Plantation, the only place in the world where pineapples grow in greenhouses.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either tour as the scenery is beautiful and very lush.  My DH and I took a variation of the Crater Lakes tour through Princess in November 2019.  That tour was 4 hours and included Sete Cidades, Santiago Lake, Crater Lakes, and wine and cheese tasting at the end.  We both enjoyed the tour.

If you like scenic bus tours either one should suffice.  The island has more than its share of picturesque places including those two lakes.  In the past we have rented cars during our visits and managed to drive much of the island (over 3 port days) and it was all good.  To get a better taste (literally) you might also consider having lunch in town at one the better Portuguese restaurants such as Gastronomo (this place usually needs a reservation even for lunch).

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:52 AM, Aggie83 said:

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either tour as the scenery is beautiful and very lush.  My DH and I took a variation of the Crater Lakes tour through Princess in November 2019.  That tour was 4 hours and included Sete Cidades, Santiago Lake, Crater Lakes, and wine and cheese tasting at the end.  We both enjoyed the tour.

Thank you very much for your input.  The tour you took had the best of everything.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, Hlitner said:

If you like scenic bus tours either one should suffice.  The island has more than its share of picturesque places including those two lakes.  In the past we have rented cars during our visits and managed to drive much of the island (over 3 port days) and it was all good.  To get a better taste (literally) you might also consider having lunch in town at one the better Portuguese restaurants such as Gastronomo (this place usually needs a reservation even for lunch).

Hank

Thanks for your input.  Is the restaurant you suggested close to the cruise port?

1 hour ago, IsItTimeToCruiseYet? said:

Thanks for your input.  Is the restaurant you suggested close to the cruise port?

That will depend on exactly which pier you dock but we are talking about an in-town restaurant that would be within a mile (perhaps less).  DW and I love to walk and consider the entire town within walking distance but we know other cruisers who whine about walking from end of the ship to the other :).  I am not stressing that one particular restaurant (considered one of the best in town) but just suggesting that since your excursiojn choices are essentially half-day, you will likely want something to fill more of the port day.  Just exploring town and having a nice lunch (lots of fresh seafood on this island) is something we find an attractive option.  There are also the cruisers who never want to buy a meal off the ship (i.e. why pay for something you can get onboard for free?).  We have long preached that we love to get a feel for the local culture and in Europe the cuisine and wine is a very major part of culture.  Woe on those who go to McDonalds and Starbucks (other than to use a bathroom) when they could be sampling local cuisine.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 11:38 AM, Hlitner said:

That will depend on exactly which pier you dock but we are talking about an in-town restaurant that would be within a mile (perhaps less).  DW and I love to walk and consider the entire town within walking distance but we know other cruisers who whine about walking from end of the ship to the other :).  I am not stressing that one particular restaurant (considered one of the best in town) but just suggesting that since your excursiojn choices are essentially half-day, you will likely want something to fill more of the port day.  Just exploring town and having a nice lunch (lots of fresh seafood on this island) is something we find an attractive option.  There are also the cruisers who never want to buy a meal off the ship (i.e. why pay for something you can get onboard for free?).  We have long preached that we love to get a feel for the local culture and in Europe the cuisine and wine is a very major part of culture.  Woe on those who go to McDonalds and Starbucks (other than to use a bathroom) when they could be sampling local cuisine.

Hank

Hi Hank

Thank you very much for your detailed response.  We don't mind walking, would enjoy exploring the town and trying some local food.  I have a very sensitive system but my husband will eat almost anything.  Our tour isn't that long so we would like to meet the local people, try some seafood and enjoy the beautiful ambiance.  If you have any other suggestions in town (shopping, and restaurants), it would be greatly appreciated.  This is our first TA and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Many thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

My husband and I will be visiting the Azores in 2023 and we currently have a tour booked through Celebrity.  I found another tour that would be fun but would like to find out how much time you have at the twin lakes for photos before leaving for town.

Current Tour Booked

Crater Lake Scenic Drive (2 hours)

Overview:  This tour makes it easy to experience one of the most incredible sights in the Azores – Sete Cidades. You’ll travel 1,900 feet above sea level to peer down at the famous twin lakes. One, which reflects the sky, is a gentle blue. The other, shaded by vegetation at the crater’s edge, is a deep green. Your drive stops at the best lookout points for unbeatable views of this natural phenomenon and incredible photo opportunities.

Highlights:  Enjoy a scenic coastal drive through the western part of Ponta Delgada before visiting the extinct crater of Sete Cidades. Soak up the views of the famous twin lakes set deep in the volcanic crater.

Tour That We Are Thinking About

Village of Sete Cidades & Wine Tasting (3 hours 45 minutes)

Overview:  Spend an unforgettable day in the Azores most spectacular setting, then toast the occasion with a local wine tasting. Sete Cidades is a settlement nestled in the remains of a massive volcanic crater. Today, dense forest climbs the crater walls, rising above the village and its twin volcanic lakes, one blue and one green. Enjoy panoramic views from the top before heading to town. Afterwards, visit Ponta Delgada for an exclusive tasting of Azorean wines and cheeses. 

Highlights:  See the famous twin volcanic lakes, one a striking blue and the other an emerald green.  Stop at a charming hotel in Ponta Delgada to sample a selection of fine Azorean wines and cheeses.  Travel to the most majestic volcanic territory in the Azores and visit the Village of Sete Cidades.

For those of you that have been to the Azores and maybe done one of the tours that I listed, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.  My hobby is photography and my husband/I enjoy wine tasting.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated!  TIA and happy cruising!

In November 2019 my husband and I did the Princess version of the Sete Cidades and Wine Tasting tour.  We thought it was an excellent tour.  Beautiful scenery (lots of Kodak moments) and the wine and cheese waw surprisingly good.  I definitely recommend that tour. My guess is that you spend similar amount of time at the twin lakes on either tour. I say splurge, go with the tour that includes wine and cheese.  

14 hours ago, Aggie83 said:

In November 2019 my husband and I did the Princess version of the Sete Cidades and Wine Tasting tour.  We thought it was an excellent tour.  Beautiful scenery (lots of Kodak moments) and the wine and cheese waw surprisingly good.  I definitely recommend that tour. My guess is that you spend similar amount of time at the twin lakes on either tour. I say splurge, go with the tour that includes wine and cheese.  

Thank you so much for your response.  My hobby is photography and since this will be our first visit to the Azores, I would love to have some time to take pictures of the lakes. We love wine and I know my husband would really enjoy that part of the tour as well.  If you have any pictures to post, I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks again!!!

I'll find a few pics to upload.  In October I'm on a Princess TA that stops at Ponta Delgada.  I checked the shore excursions and for both of the above tours the stop at Crater Lakes is scheduled for 10 minutes.  On the Sete Cidades tour we stopped at Santiago Lake for 10 minutes as well.

Edited by Aggie83
Syntax correction

On 7/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

We will be there in early November from 11:00-8:00 on a cruise and plan on renting a car. What would you suggest visiting if only having 8 hours or so?

On 8/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, Aggie83 said:

I'll find a few pics to upload.  In October I'm on a Princess TA that stops at Ponta Delgada.  I checked the shore excursions and for both of the above tours the stop at Crater Lakes is scheduled for 10 minutes.  On the Sete Cidades tour we stopped at Santiago Lake for 10 minutes as well.

Thanks so much for the additional information. I'm trying to book the tour through Celebrity but it's not letting me... The message I obtain is... "Sorry, we’re working on enhancing excursion options. Check back soon."  Due to your feedback, we would love to take this excursion.  Many thanks for your assistance... it is greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few pics I took. It was a beautiful November day (2019). We are stopping there again this year and booked a food walking tour.  I wanted to learn more about the city and architecture. These pics are from my Samsung phone. The port is right there in town and you can spend a half day on a scenic tour of the island and then explore the town.

20191111_151654.jpg

20191111_151659.jpg

20191111_152206.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:07 AM, Aggie83 said:

Here are a few pics I took. It was a beautiful November day (2019). We are stopping there again this year and booked a food walking tour.  I wanted to learn more about the city and architecture. These pics are from my Samsung phone. The port is right there in town and you can spend a half day on a scenic tour of the island and then explore the town.

20191111_151654.jpg

20191111_151659.jpg

20191111_152206.jpg

Thank you very much for the pictures!  Absolutely stunning and I can't wait to see it in person.  Good to know that we can explore the town after the tour.  I finally was able to book the tour.  Many thanks for your help and have a fantastic cruise!