?'s about Royal Ships & Panama Canal

I started researching the possibility of an upcoming cruise to the Panama Canal and came up with a few questions.

Does Royal only offer 10+ night cruises to this area?

If your aft (facing the gates) is it a better view of what is happening in the locks? Can you even see anything happening? I assume you can see the gates close behind you and the water rise?

My favorite 8088 is open on the cruise I am looking at but wondered if the view just wouldn't be that great of what is happening in the locks.

Thanks for you help,

Dawna

We did the Canal on the Radiance, Cabin 8588 on the Hump for 15 days. It was a great cabin location, you can see everything and if you want to watch the water rise you just look over the side, ( however there is only about 2 feet of clearance) Remember, the trip thru the canal locks is a l-o-n-g one, it does not move fast. If you are on Deck 7 you can actually reach out anc touch the sides of the locks as they fill with water! Great rip, and yest they are usually at least 11 days for a complete transit Pacific to Atlantic or back the other way. The do do partial transits on the shorter cruises. Just depends on what you want. It was one of our favorite cruises and we love the Radiance. Most people went all over the ship watching the crossing, you have enough time. Enjoy

I started researching the possibility of an upcoming cruise to the Panama Canal and came up with a few questions.

Does Royal only offer 10+ night cruises to this area?

I cant remember if they do 7 nights to the canal. If they do do 7 nights then it is a round trip situation to and from where you started. Really, all i can say is - what you see is what they offer.

If your aft (facing the gates) is it a better view of what is happening in the locks? Can you even see anything happening? I assume you can see the gates close behind you and the water rise?

My favorite 8088 is open on the cruise I am looking at but wondered if the view just wouldn't be that great of what is happening in the locks.

Thanks for you help,

Dawna

We were on the left side of the ship in a balcony room. Sure, aft would be fun because, presumably, you can see the locks closing behind you. The left side was fun for us because there was a princess ship next to us while we were going through. I also knew, for the 14 night we took, the left side would provide the best views in the other ports of call.

Happy Sailing!

All Panama Canal cruises, partial and full transit, are 10 or more days.

While we had a hump cabin and not an aft cabin, I can guess that an aft would not offer very good views of the lock action. I didn't spend much time on our balcony, but wondered all over the ship during the lockage, including the aft outdoor seating area of teh Windjammer. The reason I don't think an aft would offer a good view of the lockage is that you would not be able to see what is happening on the sides of the ship or forward. This is where all the action is. Approching the locks, the row boat coming out with the lines, the Mules hooking up and excorting through, etc...

However, if you plan to wonder, like I did, you would be able to enjoy the aft cabin for the rest (majority) of the cruise.

We did full transit on Serenade last October. We were in 1600, aft corner, deck 10. Had COMPLETE view of the locks opening and closing both for our ship and the ones next to us. Much better view than our friends who were midship on deck 10. Have pix and could see all of the machinery that moved the gates as they opened and closed...spectacular!!! Go for the aft!!!:D

All Panama Canal cruises, partial and full transit, are 10 or more days.

While we had a hump cabin and not an aft cabin, I can guess that an aft would not offer very good views of the lock action. I didn't spend much time on our balcony, but wondered all over the ship during the lockage, including the aft outdoor seating area of teh Windjammer. The reason I don't think an aft would offer a good view of the lockage is that you would not be able to see what is happening on the sides of the ship or forward. This is where all the action is. Approching the locks, the row boat coming out with the lines, the Mules hooking up and excorting through, etc...

However, if you plan to wonder, like I did, you would be able to enjoy the aft cabin for the rest (majority) of the cruise.

I totally agree. Ive done that cruise twice. You will see some good things in a AFT cabin, but I don't think it's ideal. Hump cabin is the best IMO, but you really need to be out and about, moving around the ship, to maximize your views.

We did the partial Panama canal twice, both were 10 days. The first time we had a balcony on the starboard side and the second time on the port side. The port side balcony had the better view as you were entering the locks. If you plan an excursion you will not see the ship returning thru the locks. To me the best bet is a port fwd balcony, the upper decks get a bit busy with all the people trying to get the best view. Make sure as you are entering the channel to the locks, watch the shore line for the crocodiles. We did the monkey watch excursion in Panama and it was fantastic, the monkeys came down from the trees right onto the boat and we were hand feeding them. Next time we do the canal we will do the full transit.

Dawna~do the Brilliance...it is such a beautiful ship and it has 10 and 11 days... I have heard nothing but wonderful things about her on all the threads...It's a smaller ship than the Voyager class but a tiny bit bigger than the Vission class...it's the one with the glass elevators that you can see out into the ocean. It would be neat to take an elevator ride while going through the docks..:D

I have an aft cabin on in 2 weeks on the Brilliance. I plan to sit on my fat

balcony ( what did you think I was going to say) going into the locks in the morning. Order room service food. Then roam the ship while in the locks. Then when we make the return trip I will stake out the front when half the people are off the ship.

Does this sound right?

Hey Seahags, how are you. Glad to see you are still grabbing the corner cabins. Looks like you have a full schedule this year. The Grandeur cruise was the most fun of all my trips. Lucky. Say hi to the girls. Its odd right after our cruies, New Orleans got hit by Katrina and the natural bridge in Aruba fell into the water. I hope I don't destroy the canal. lol

See ya Mark & Jackie.

Wow, Mark, it's been almost a YEAR!!! You and Jackie will LOVE that aft...we watched the locks open and close and fill and empty...it was GREAT...trotted down the hall to a friends cabin (GS on the port side) and the view wasn't nearly as good...all they could do was look straight down...we had a full panorama. What cabin are you? 1600???

We're off on the Empress next month from SJU to PHL...and have just signed up for an Alaska cruisetour in August that will be Jim's surprise 55th bday present the end of this month! Then it's out of Boston on the Jewel on Halloween...maybe we'll run across one another one of these days soon!!!

Have a SUPER trip!!! Hugs to Jackie, too!!!

eileen:)

We had 8088 on the port side of the Serenade last October for the canal

transit and loved it. Great views entering the locks and of neighboring

ships when we were in the right-hand side of the locks. As others have said, you can wander all the open decks for other views forward, aft and

starboard side. We had purchased Ann Vipond's (sp?) book before the

cruise, with it's excellent fold-out map. It was for sale onboard, but only

the morning of the transit! It was a wealth of information on many ports

and sights. You'll love whichever cabin you choose. Enjoy!

Barb & Jim, Rochester Hills, MI

Hey all,

My husband and I are considering the 11 day on the Brilliance next feb or march. Has anyone done that cruise at that time of year. How are the temps there then? We have been on 4 princess and 3 carnival. This would be our first RCL. We are also deciding between a superior and a deluxe. They say the cabin sizes are 204 square feet and 179...Does the 25 sq ft difference make a big difference? There will only be two of us. Any info would be great!!!

Sue

Dawna~do the Brilliance...it is such a beautiful ship and it has 10 and 11 days... I have heard nothing but wonderful things about her on all the threads...It's a smaller ship than the Voyager class but a tiny bit bigger than the Vission class...it's the one with the glass elevators that you can see out into the ocean. It would be neat to take an elevator ride while going through the docks..:D

Hi Rev, long time no see, hehe!

I fell in love with the Radiance so picking a Radiance class ship is easy for me. We did want something slightly longer then a 7 day but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a 7 day somehow in my search that had ports we wanted to do too. Watching the locks is my selling point with the hubby, if he can't see much action I am afraid he is going to want to drag me to Alaska :eek: Burr

See ya on the Freedom :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

We did the 11 day Brilliance on Jan23, Wonderful cruise, had cabin 9586 middle of the hump. Perfect viewing spot. We did go to the front of the ship- for the first part of the transit at 5.15 am! There was another ship right along side of us in the other locks but on the oposite side of the ship from us so it was better to watch it from upper decks. We did stay in our cabin and view the return trip from our balcony which since it was a hump cabin we could see forward and aft. It was a cool view seeing the big tanker behind us then watching us drop down looking the other direction...

We would love to someday do the full transit and would probably try to get that same hump cabin.

Weather during our cruise was quite nice and not extreemly hot- low-mid 80's perfect weather. We did though have some very rough seas a couple of days. Don't know if that is usual or the time of year....

Funcruiser

We did full transit on Serenade last October. We were in 1600, aft corner, deck 10. Had COMPLETE view of the locks opening and closing both for our ship and the ones next to us. Much better view than our friends who were midship on deck 10. Have pix and could see all of the machinery that moved the gates as they opened and closed...spectacular!!! Go for the aft!!!:D

What is a full transit? LA to Miami type cruise? On a Miami/Miami do they not go all the way through the canal and back? Or the dreaded not even enter the canal just partk there like some Carnival ships?

Been enjoying all of your responses, feel like I am already on the cruise!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

A full transit goes from west coast to east coast or the other way around. It is usually a 14 day cruise.

The partial transit on the Brilliance left from Miami/ Labadee/ Aruba/ Curaco/Panama Canal/ Costa Rica..... In the Canal we went through the locks and then anchored in the lake for several hours so people taking tours could get off. We watched other ships- mostly huge tankers come through the locks. Then around 2:30 we went back through the locks and went to a pier area where we can get out and shop. Lots of local goods and handmade crafts.

ALL of the stops were awesome!!

Funcruiser

We took the partial on Princess. Partial is usually round trip and the ship goes thru one set of locks and parks in Gatun Lake. It is an experience you will never forget - very very exciting. If you can do a partial at least.

As a previous poster said.....going thru the locks is a looooooooooooooooong process so you will be able to see it from your cabin...and then travel around the ship and see if from different points. On Princess they had photographers from the ship on the locks taking photos of us on our balconies - very cool.

Wonderful trip.

We did the partial on the Brilliance 1/2/06 cruise. We had hump balcony 9576, the first hump balcony on the starboard side. Even though we had a great view from there, as said above, you have to roam the ship to catch it all. We had a Windjammer outside lunch on the aft coming back outta Gatun Lake, and what a view that was. Talk about a lunch with a view! Someone asked about the weather, our 11 day started on Jan. 2 and the weather was perfect the whole time.

Hey all,

My husband and I are considering the 11 day on the Brilliance next feb or march. Has anyone done that cruise at that time of year. How are the temps there then? We have been on 4 princess and 3 carnival. This would be our first RCL. We are also deciding between a superior and a deluxe. They say the cabin sizes are 204 square feet and 179...Does the 25 sq ft difference make a big difference? There will only be two of us. Any info would be great!!!

Sue

On the Brilliance right now. This is a GREAT cruise! Look for my thread Examining the Bars on the Brilliance of the Seas, plus I will post a review next week when I get back. Temperatures are warm year round. Most of the ports are below the tropic of Cancer and so are considered tropical. We have been in at least the mid 80s, if not the low 90s for almost the entire cruise.

Archived