Upgrade Bidding System

wowzz

On 8/20/2022 at 8:42 AM, wowzz said:

Is that from onboard observation,  or from looking at availability on line? If the latter, then you have to take into account that cabins may be shown as available,  but in fact will be allocated to those who have paid a saver fare.

It's been from on board observation from two P&O itineraries, one Iona, one Aurora.

One which was notable was a sailing on Aurora which departed (we were advised) by approximately 850 passengers, but, as I said, with many balcony cabins seemingly unoccupied.

We had selected the "free" upgrade option, but nothing was provided to anyone we spoke to on board. 

We asked a question and were advised (on the sales desk) that, due to the low occupancy, there was no need to upgrade guests from the "headline" inside / outside rate, as bookings could be accommodated at that price point (i.e., using more inside and outside cabins). 

Therefore, the rationale didn't exist to upgrade guests...made sense from a P&O perspective.

34 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

It's been from on board observation from two P&O itineraries, one Iona, one Aurora.

One which was notable was a sailing on Aurora which departed (we were advised) by approximately 850 passengers, but, as I said, with many balcony cabins seemingly unoccupied.

We had selected the "free" upgrade option, but nothing was provided to anyone we spoke to on board. 

We asked a question and were advised (on the sales desk) that, due to the low occupancy, there was no need to upgrade guests from the "headline" inside / outside rate, as bookings could be accommodated at that price point (i.e., using more inside and outside cabins). 

Therefore, the rationale didn't exist to upgrade guests...made sense from a P&O perspective.

Were your cruises recent ?

Looks like most cruises are now close to full occupancy,  allowing for Covid cabins. 

Last cruises April and May this year.

With respect to our forthcoming cruise on Aurora next week, that was shown as "sold out" on all cabin grades more than four weeks ago.  It will be interesting to see if she actually sails full and indeed if any upgrades have been offered.  I'm guessing not.

Have to say Aurora with 850 guests was a good cruise, although the coffee bar and indeed "Champions" still got full regularly in the evening!