Electrical Outlets for Spain, France and Italy

bbqbears

We will be on an NCL cruise in a few weeks.  I haven't been to Europe in over a decade.  I know that we do not need adapters on the ship, and I know that we will need a plug/adapter at our hotel in Barcelona, but does anyone know if the same plug adapter that will work in Spain will also work in France or Italy?  And anyone know if we need an actual voltage converter anywhere so we don't inadvertently fry our devices?  Twenty+ years ago while traveling in Cuba, I got a surprise after plugging in my curling iron!  Don't want another surprise! 

Most of Europe (outside UK) will require the two round prong adaptor. Should be the same for Spain, France and Italy.

Most electronics are now dual voltage. This includes most computers, e-Readers, phones, etc. If in doubt you can check the appliance -- somewhere on it (or on the cord) should be something indicating voltage.  If it says 110/220 or something like that, it is dual voltage.

The only tricky thing is hair dryers and other hair styling appliances due to the high heat. Even if they are dual voltage, they may not operate quite the same. I always err on the side of caution and do not use the highest heat setting for either blowdryer or curling iron. (They still seem to get plenty hot.)

Actually, I rarely travel with my blowdryer anymore. Almost all hotels and of course the ships provide them, and I can make do for a limited time.

Thanks, cruisemom.   Yeah-after that experience in Cuba-me neither! LOL!  Thanks for the info.  I know I had one of those brick-like converters (I think I bought it after that experience), but I don't recall ever using it.  But my memory isn't great these days, so appreciate you weighing in.  I think I have one of those 2-pronged adapters, so should be good.  

• 2 weeks later...

We found this website useful. Since we will be travelling to 4 different countries, each with different outlets, we were able to select the appropriate country and adapter needed. I also contacted the hotels we are staying at pre and post trip to confirm. We found the 2-USB + 1 input the best for our needs

https://www.oreitravel.com/

• Like 1