Back after 3 years

Guest Oldcruisepest

Guest Oldcruisepest

We have not cruised since Covid hit, we were set to sail on the Grand a month after Covid hit and the cruises were canceled.

What is it like now to go on Princess?

For the most part things will be much as they were when you sailed 3 years ago as Princess seeks to return to somewhat normal. Here is a quick list of some things that may be different:

The big change likely is that all the ships are Medallion Class now so you will have a medallion that unlocks your cabin for you. You will also have Medallion features (when they work) such as being able to locate travel companions in the app or on the portals or being able to order food and beverages from wherever you are seated through the app. If you have used the app previously you will want to make sure you have the current MedallionClass app to enter your information and become “ocean ready.”

Princess has had staffing shortages on ships which has resulted in some onboard service impacts ( no pub lunches, crab shack or planks).

No more free internet minutes for Platinum and Elite, now you get a 50% discount on internet. 

Some items in buffet, like melon and pineapple, are now served in small grab and go dishes.  Beverage stations have been staffed, but recently I have seen some self service returning.

The room service menu is now on your stateroom TV and you can order beverages from room service using your beverage package if you have one. 

There are different Covid test requirements for different voyages so it’s a good idea to visit the Princess website to find out if there is anything specific to your cruise.

I am sure others will mention other things that may be different.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Oldcruisepest said:

We have not cruised since Covid hit, we were set to sail on the Grand a month after Covid hit and the cruises were canceled.

Try reading some of the many recent "live reports" from those cruising.  You will find several threads - perhaps even one or more for a ship or region you plan to sail in.

• Like 2

Guest Oldcruisepest

Shelley and Steelers,

Thanks for the information, it great to hear things are somewhat back to normal. I loved the fish and chips at the pub lunch, but Mrs Pest did not so that is no big loss.

I hadn't sailed on Princess since 2019 (Regal).  I sailed on the Grand in early June of this year.  In addition to the menus changing, I could not believe how the quality of the food had gone downhill.  Food was consistently good on my previous 13 voyages so this was a big disappointment.

18 hours ago, Guest Oldcruisepest said:

One that is the best change since Covid is the E-Muster now. You don’t gather at your muster station with hundreds of others like before. You watch the muster drill on your mobile device or in your stateroom and then check in to your muster station and you’re done. Easy peasy.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, tonit964 said:

You watch the muster drill on your mobile device or in your stateroom and then check in to your muster station and you’re done.

That's one of the things that was an improvement over the old way of doing it for sure. 😉

Also, the medallion also lets you reliably find the location of people on the ship (if they want to be found). The old location using the display boards wasn't to accurate. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

Tonit964,

Thanks for the update on the new muster drill. We just saw a video on youtube that showed it. It seams to be much improved and in a way safer that you don't have all the passengers and crew clogging the halls stairways and elevators at once. 

• Like 1