Why do people still sunbathe?

As a "certified" tanner let me add my 2 cents. Honestly, I grew up in Marin County California, beautiful yet weird, and I really did have a class in tanning my senior year. It was only for one section of PE and we actually took tests. (Nevertheless, essentially weird. I didn't learn a darn thing about geography...I think it's because in California we sort of thought California was the center of the universe. But hey, I did get an "A".)

Anyhoo, we learned that with adequate protection using sunblock that is at least 15 spf , applied regularly, one could be reasonably safe. Most folks don't keep applying...they just put it on once and later look like lobster people. Even if you have sunscreen that is 60 spf if you don't apply every couple of hours you'll burn. Some people believe that they have to burn first in order to tan. Total myth...purposely sun-burning is cooking oneself and only causes cell damage.

Then again, I have friends who almost never go out in the sun who have had skin cancer. Some of us have more melanin than others, some have a hereditery proclivity to skin cancers. In this area, as in pretty much every other, moderation and common sense should prevail. Personally, I love to be outside...fishing, golfing, swimming. I'm just going to do my best to take care of my skin while enjoying myself and you should do what is best for you.

I have never heard anything that even remotely suggests that sunblock only slightly reduces your risk of skin cancer, and I have been a nurse for over 20 years, and do keep abreast of the latest health news/research. And, even if it were true, are we supposed to live in a cave???

What I have heard from multiple sources, multiple times is that the biggest risk factor for melanoma comes when very young children get badly sunburned, even once significantly increases the risk. But, this is totally avoidable. Our family is very active and we spend a lot of time outdoors, and my children have never had anything near a sunburn since we use sunblock.

Lets not get extreme trying to make a point! As with most things in life, moderation is KEY!!!

First of all...because we live in Seattle and we want to feel the warmth on our bodies...

Yes, it can age the skin, no doubt about it. However, recent research (I wished I had saved the articles) is finding that Americans in particular have become hysterical about sun exposure and are showing signs of Vitamin D deficiencies. It has been suggested recently that increased exposure to the sun can help make stronger bones, and reduce the incidence of certain cancers. This is still open to debate (isn't everything?) but some research suggests that many people need to start getting MORE, not LESS. (Within reason of course...)

Sunlight exposure also helps with people who suffer depression and , for most of my life, has been one of the only things that hleped my complexion! :)

So, while there are certainly reasons to restrict over-exposure, it seems that , just like most things, moderation is the way to go.

I Can not WAIT to feel the sun in the Caribbean in April!

Cathy

I have never heard anything that even remotely suggests that sunblock only slightly reduces your risk of skin cancer, and I have been a nurse for over 20 years, and do keep abreast of the latest health news/research. And, even if it were true, are we supposed to live in a cave???

What I have heard from multiple sources, multiple times is that the biggest risk factor for melanoma comes when very young children get badly sunburned, even once significantly increases the risk. But, this is totally avoidable. Our family is very active and we spend a lot of time outdoors, and my children have never had anything near a sunburn since we use sunblock.

Lets not get extreme trying to make a point! As with most things in life, moderation is KEY!!!

You are correct in saying sunburning at a young age may have a devastating effect however melanoma is not solar dependent. Devastating forms of cancer are caused by 3 things...radiation, toxicity and genetics. The first two are natural substances (in today's world), the last, no one can do anything about that.

If just one person reads this thread and decides to be just a little more careful while sunbathing, it served a good purpose.

Here Here!

I live in far north Queensland Australia, and although I can appreciate that people want to get warm after living in cold climates, it makes me cringe just reading some of the responses here. People do silly things even when they know of the risks, but it will probably take just one dose of sunburn to make them think twice about basking in the sun's glory again. Many a tourist here has spent a well earned holiday in hospital, even after warnings are repeated ad nauseam. Use protection,(Hat, shirt, sunblock) and you're guaranteed to have a great holiday no matter how strong the ultravoilet is!

Cheers

When you return from a vacation in winter, and you have a tan, it means you went where others weren't! and the next question is, how did you get that tan? Then you get to tell how wonderful your cruise was, BLAH< BLAH< BLAH! The tan fades. And anyone who lays in a tanning bed, really has so much time in their life, that they probably don't have one.Tans are Vanity. Metrowon

However, recent research is finding that Americans in particular have become hysterical about sun exposure and are showing signs of Vitamin D deficiencies.

I'm beginning to believe that Americans are getting hysterical about everything: skin cancer, norovirus, bedbugs, avian flu, etc., etc., etc.! A recent news report mentioned Austin's new ordinance permitting restaurants to allow patrons to bring dogs onto outdoor patios. Several fearful citizens agonized over the possibility of becoming ill by eating in the vicinity of dogs, in spite of the fact that studies have shown the chances to be extremely remote. Our local news had this teaser the other day: "What's lurking in your leftovers: could you be harming your family?":rolleyes:

I'm amazed that any of us have managed to live as long as we have given the number of "dangers" that surround us!

Paragraph below is excerted from research paper. It is not definite but suggests that sunscreens prevent burning but do not reduce cancer risk because they do not block ultraviolet A thereby giving a false sense of security.

IMHO adults are free to take the risk. However, since evidence suggests long term effects and increased risk due to sunburn in children/infants, exposure to sun should be limited with or without sunscreen.

"Incidence rates of melanoma have risen especially steeply since the mid-1970s. The two principal strategies for reduction of risk of melanoma and other skin cancers are sun avoidance and use of chemical sunscreens. Rising trends in the incidence of and mortality from melanoma have continued since the 1970s and 1980s, when sunscreens with high sun protection factors became widely used. Commonly used chemical sunscreens block ultraviolet B (UVB) but are virtually transparent to ultraviolet A (UVA), which makes up 90 to 95% of ultraviolet energy in the solar spectrum. Because sunscreens prevent erythema and sunburn, and inhibit accommodation of the skin to sunlight, their use may permit excessive exposure of the skin to portions of the solar spectrum other than UVB. If melanoma and basal cell carcinoma are initiated or promoted by solar radiation other than UVB, as laboratory data suggest, then UVB sunscreens might not be effective in preventing these cancers, and sunscreen use might increase the risk of their occurrence."

A recent news report mentioned Austin's new ordinance permitting restaurants to allow patrons to bring dogs onto outdoor patios. Several fearful citizens agonized over the possibility of becoming ill by eating in the vicinity of dogs, in spite of the fact that studies have shown the chances to be extremely remote.

Actually, people were most concerned about dog bites, unruly dogs, allergies, and the possibility of a dog deciding to relieve himself during dinner.

I've read in multiple places that early sunburns are a big indicator of future skin cancer problems. Since I was a child in the 70s, and my mother never owned a bottle of sunscreen -- we'd go to the beach for a week, no sunscreen . . . then I was a teen in the 80s, and we laid out with baby oil . . . I'm a bit worried about that. I was never a big-time tanner like some of my friends, but I did have at least five really horrible sunburns as a child.

Being better informed now, I'm very careful that my kids have sunscreen when they're at the pool or the beach. One more thing to be cautious about: Kids also need to wear sunglasses. I've seen some things about cataracts in later life being correlated with sun exposure as a child. When my girls were smaller, they wouldn't keep them on, but now they're very good about it.

good to know they will eventually keep them on! (sunglasses)

I don't know how many pairs I have bought for my kids that come off after 5 minutes, then end up lost into eternity somewhere in the house, just like the other sock!!

Don't smoke don't drink what do you do...

Kidding aside, everyone is different. Second hand smoke is deadly too. I know people with all types of cancers unfortunately, but it is nice to get some sun especially the vitamins driven from the sun. Too much of anything is not healthy but anyways put on the sunblock whether it be 45 or 50 or SPF 4 watch out cause Mr heat miser is going to get you.

Swimming, snorkeling, and just stepping in and out of a bulding or a car watch out. Do not get burned but enjoy in moderation.

Cheers!!!

The fact that people get cancer from being out in the sun is another example of the fact that we are at war with our environment. I'd like to know why all the food that tastes good is bad for you, but I don't ask why people still eat ice cream. Anyway, it's still pleasant and relaxing to sunbathe, so if you need to slather on some SP32 just do it

Because I'm a Leo and the sun energizes me! Just like Pieces feel so great around water.

Also, as for aging, if you PROPERLY moisterize your skin daily you don't have to worry so much. I am a fair skinned blond and have laid out for most of my life, being careful to tan deeply while not burning and peeling, but I have also always used moisterizer afterwards, and daily. At 42 I still get carded buying alcohol....SERIOUSLY! But I have a cousin in Florida who is the same age as me and has never used moisterizer and she looks 15-20 years older than me with horribly wrinkled skin. So I truly believe if you use a GOOD moisterizer on face and body you can keep the sun's damage to an absolute mininum.

HAPPY TANNING!

On my first cruise to the Bahamas I got fried to a crisp!!! I got slightly burned in Nassau while touring around Atlantis. The next day we were at Coco Cay and I got fried. Even though I put on gobs and gobs of sunscreen, I got badly burned. I could barely walk the next day and missed out on Key West. I learned my lesson and will take light wieght pants and long sleeve shirt next time. I will never allow the sun to punish me again! I had blisters and peeling skin for weeks:o :eek: !

There are so many bad things for your body, but as a previous poster said, that sunbathing is probably not that dangerous if you take the necessary precautions. So, happy sunbathing to those that can handle it! I just have to be extremely careful, as I have always been fair skinned and burn easily;) . Andros/Tony

A recent news report mentioned Austin's new ordinance permitting restaurants to allow patrons to bring dogs onto outdoor patios. Several fearful citizens agonized over the possibility of becoming ill by eating in the vicinity of dogs, in spite of the fact that studies have shown the chances to be extremely remote.

Actually, people were most concerned about dog bites, unruly dogs, allergies, and the possibility of a dog deciding to relieve himself during dinner.

Not surprising. But that's not what made the news in Dallas, at least the program I watched. It was the people voicing fears about health issues.

I remember going to Paris in the 1980's after graduating from college. I was absolutely stunned to see dogs sitting at their owners' feet, even inside at some very fancy restaurants (not all restaurants allow it). It was totally out of the realm of my experience.

Okay, I have to add in my two cents here...

I've never been too much of a sun worshipper. I think it feels great, being from NJ, but never really got burned super bad, went tanning for my wedding and maybe a vacation or two, that kind of thing. Anyway, last year, my bf and I had only 3 days for a vacation all year, so we went to the NJ shore. Well, the day we finally got some sun happened to be the hottest day of the year! Since I have four beautiful, expensive tattoos that I'm not interested in fading, I put a 54 sunblock on all of them. I had my bf do the same for his, but being a 'typical' guy, he just kind of slathered it on his tattoos, not being careful of the outlines or whatnot. Then I stupidly didn't put anything else on! Well, my body was pretty burned, everywhere except where the 54 block was. It faded away in about a week, but the dicolorment of my peeling and whatnot lasted for months!! I was so freaked out. And my bf, well - wouldn't you know he had a huge handprint across his chest, back, streak marks down his arms - from applying such a strong block so sloppily! That handmark was still visible four months later if you looked for it!

I cringe when I think about the damage we did that day. We're both pretty pale people. Needless to say, I'll be much more careful in the future. As an afterthought, the bullfrog 54 sportblock works great, if you're interested!

Melody

Well, I am a nurse, and I took a CEU course based on Natural/alternative healings. One chapter addressed sunbathing. SOME researchers are being to say that some of the suntan lotion may PROMOTE skin cancer. Also, that it is a FACT that MODERATE sunbathers have lower rates of breast cancer. Lots of ongoing research in this country on this subject. It did emphasize that sunburning is the culprit in being a catalyst for skin cancers. So be careful, especially if you are light skinned, and observe your skin often for changes and large moles especially asymetrical ones, and report changes to your doctor- that is how you stay alive.

Most reports about the dangers of sunbathing indicate that later life risk of cancer rises if a child gets a significant sunburn; apparently this makes you more susceptible to skin cancer in later life. No research I've seen indicates sunbathing as an adult in and of itself increases any health risk; it does dry out your skin, almost as much as smoking, and leads to that Texas Marlboro Wrinkle Man Look, like the woman on "Something About Mary".

Because I'm a Leo and the sun energizes me! Just like Pieces feel so great around water.

Also, as for aging, if you PROPERLY moisterize your skin daily you don't have to worry so much. I am a fair skinned blond and have laid out for most of my life, being careful to tan deeply while not burning and peeling, but I have also always used moisterizer afterwards, and daily. At 42 I still get carded buying alcohol....SERIOUSLY! But I have a cousin in Florida who is the same age as me and has never used moisterizer and she looks 15-20 years older than me with horribly wrinkled skin. So I truly believe if you use a GOOD moisterizer on face and body you can keep the sun's damage to an absolute mininum.

HAPPY TANNING!

I've never heard of moisturizer being a deterrent to skin cancer, but I guess if it works for you, then go for it!

Archived