Independence

We will be on her next month. How was boarding?  Saw a video with Harmony a couple of months ago and it looked very disorganized with long lines outside. Seemed to be a bottleneck checking paperwork before entering the terminal. 

23 minutes ago, jk04 said:

We will be on her next month. How was boarding?  Saw a video with Harmony a couple of months ago and it looked very disorganized with long lines outside. Seemed to be a bottleneck checking paperwork before entering the terminal. 

I have been on 9 cruises this year and one thing remains constant. When people show up during their assigned check-in time embarkation is a breeze. When lots of people show up before their assigned check-in time, you are likely to see very long lines like you witnessed/watched. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on Indy 2 weeks ago. We flew in day of from the ATL and had private shuttle take us to port. Our check in time was 11:30.  I think we waited all of 4 minutes in a chair in a big room that was mostly vacant and we were on the ship by 11:40.  Drink in hand by 11:45.  Port Canaveral had its ShiPt together that day.  
Eight weeks prior, I sailed on Explorer out of Miami.  What a cluster Clfuck!  Boarding was seriously delayed...several hours.  Standing out in the sun with humidity & the skankiest of bathrooms (SHAME ON YOU @PORT OF MIAMI) was a horrible experience.  Rumors were rampant but factually, we know that the ship cleared late and coupled with the not enough Immigration officers for all the incoming ships, departure process on the Explorer was delayed.  Domino effect thereafter.  

Will board Odyssey 6 weeks from today in Rome with an 11:30 boarding pass - - I guess we'll see what happens.  

Edited by RicoRoxy
correction
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jk04 said:

That video was before Mariner (the 3rd ship at PC that has since been moved to exclusively using terminal 5). Indy and Harmony now share terminal 1.

Been on both Harmony and Indy recently; parking and check-in was a breeze both times. Ignore the video, it's outdated.

• Thanks 1

Agree.  Also let me add departure was even easier.  Counted like 7-8 custom agents.  One side for passports other for birth certificates.  Granted the self departure line snaked around dining room.  The line moved fast and never been smoother.  Miami on oasis in March of this year was a joke.  Only a couple agents and super long lines.   

35 minutes ago, brevardcruiser said:

Agree.  Also let me add departure was even easier.  Counted like 7-8 custom agents.  One side for passports other for birth certificates.  Granted the self departure line snaked around dining room.  The line moved fast and never been smoother.  Miami on oasis in March of this year was a joke.  Only a couple agents and super long lines.   

Agents? PC has facial recognition. If you used a passport you don't need to see an agent. You just scan your face at a kiosk and go right through.

Edited by OCSC Mike

19 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Sorry Mike, I didn't see that little sentence about terminal 1 in your previous post. DUH!!!

19 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Thanks for the info!

No worries. Happy to help!

Possibly hopping back on Indy in October myself for either a 4-nighter or another B2B 3 & 4 like we did last month.

38 minutes ago, traceytd said:

How was the ship? Is it in good shape?

Thinking of booking her for myself, my husband, our daughter, her husband and our 2 granddaughters.

🙂

Looked good to me. Minor signs of wear and tear in our cabins (we switched during the B2B) but nothing I would care about (I'm not picky and the cabin itself isn't very important to me). The rest of ship was fine and we hadn't been on anything but Oasis class in quite a while (save one Alaska cruise in 2018 where the ship wasn't important to us).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That video was before Mariner (the 3rd ship at PC that has since been moved to exclusively using terminal 5). Indy and Harmony now share terminal 1.

Been on both Harmony and Indy recently; parking and check-in was a breeze both times. Ignore the video, it's outdated.

Thanks appreciate the info.  That probably does help parking quite a bit.  We plan on parking in the garage this trip and would prefer covered.

4 hours ago, brevardcruiser said:

Miami on oasis in March of this year was a joke.  Only a couple agents and super long lines.   

Really, were you showing your passports?  We did Oasis in December, granted lower passenger count, but facial recognition was so quick, we were out the door in no time.  Will be on Oasis again in January and March.

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agents? PC has facial recognition. If you used a passport you don't need to see an agent. You just scan your face at a kiosk and go right through.

There still needs to be an agent at each kiosk to verify the result. 

Prior to COVID I thought facial recognition when leaving the terminal was the best improvement I experienced related to cruising. Now I think the new “safety briefing” is the best improvement I have experienced. 

• Like 2

Boarding Indy on Monday.  Going to be crazy if the rocket launch stays scheduled for that day.  Not sure how early they let you into the garage.  I saw they are going to be strict on the parking and making sure you are a cruise passenger to let you in.  

Couple questions if you by chance know.  No worries if you don't.  

Any Izumi sushi specials on boarding day?  The sometimes offer a discount early on the cruise.

Any good IPA on draft in Playmakers?  Odyssey had a great selection in February and hoping for the same this trip.

Was last on Indy in Nov. 2018.  She had been AMPed by then so I remember the ship pretty well.  Looking forward to my first Diamond lounge visit on Freedom class also.

26 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

Boarding Indy on Monday.  Going to be crazy if the rocket launch stays scheduled for that day.  Not sure how early they let you into the garage.  I saw they are going to be strict on the parking and making sure you are a cruise passenger to let you in.  

Couple questions if you by chance know.  No worries if you don't.  

Any Izumi sushi specials on boarding day?  The sometimes offer a discount early on the cruise.

Any good IPA on draft in Playmakers?  Odyssey had a great selection in February and hoping for the same this trip.

Was last on Indy in Nov. 2018.  She had been AMPed by then so I remember the ship pretty well.  Looking forward to my first Diamond lounge visit on Freedom class also.

Yes, launch could make things a bit crazy if you're trying to get there to see it.

I can't really help with your questions, unfortunately. No idea about Izumi and I hardly ever drink beer while cruising (not a beer enthusiast though I do drink it, just prefer to use my Diamond vouchers on mixed and/or frozen drinks I don't drink at home).

I can say I enjoyed "The Pitch" and the spicy margarita at Playmakers as well as their burgers and garlic parm fries. Some people may feel it's silly to pay for a burger on a cruise but my wife is picky and we had never been to a Playmakers before so she wanted to try it. Plus it's only $9, making it less than most decent burger places on land. I'd go to Playmakers if it was down the street.

Hope the launch doesn't make your morning too much of a mess.

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes, launch could make things a bit crazy if you're trying to get there to see it.

I can't really help with your questions, unfortunately. No idea about Izumi and I hardly ever drink beer while cruising (not a beer enthusiast though I do drink it, just prefer to use my Diamond vouchers on mixed and/or frozen drinks I don't drink at home).

I can say I enjoyed "The Pitch" and the spicy margarita at Playmakers as well as their burgers and garlic parm fries. Some people may feel it's silly to pay for a burger on a cruise but my wife is picky and we had never been to a Playmakers before so she wanted to try it. Plus it's only $9, making it less than most decent burger places on land. I'd go to Playmakers if it was down the street.

Hope the launch doesn't make your morning too much of a mess.

Thanks.  We are staying off 95 in Melbourne.  Grabbed a hotel there before prices went crazy and/or sold out.  I'm secretly hoping the launch is pushed back to Friday the 2nd.  We are getting off that day and I'm perfectly happy sitting around Cocoa Beach all day waiting then for the afternoon window.

Completely agree on Playmakers.  We had the UDP on our 8 day Odyssey in February.  Great wings, onion rings, burgers, etc.  All were excellent.  I do plan to eat lunch on our sea day next week at Playmakers.  Won't fight the overcrowded pools.  Saving our pool day for Nassau.  

2 hours ago, crusinpeg said:

Do you know what movies were playing poolside?

If you're asking me, not off the top of my head. I could possibly rack my brain and come up with a few but my B2B was over a month ago so I'm not sure it would be relevant. Sorry.