Car rentals in Miami

redheadjv

Anyone had any experience with the car rental companies in downtown Miami lately? Been hearing that it takes a long time for the shuttles  and then a longer time to get a car.

Edited by redheadjv

Take a taxi to your rental car company downtown and beat the crowds. With a shuttle you have to wait on them and then when you get there everyone jumps out and creates a line for the cars with just 1 (or 2 if you're lucky) counter agents serving the line. With a taxi, you hop in right away and a few minutes later you're at the rental office.  It's worth a few extra bucks to save an hour in line.

That's what we did a few years ago when we rented from Sixt in downtown Miami.

The downtown Miami locations are very busy on turnaround days. The offices are small and get very busy. A cab from the port to the facilities will save you some time. I know that Avis, Budget and Hertz have downtown locations.

It's easier to take an Uber, Lyft or cab from the Port Of Miami to the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center which is located across from Miami International Airport. Every major rental car company has an office there. There's usually plenty of inventory and better pricing. As I have said on many previous posts the downtown Miami locations are too small and too busy on turnaround days.

• 4 weeks later...

Any of the rental car companies who offer a complimentary shuttle from the port to the rental car center at Miami Airport these days? Alamo used to do that the last time i was on a cruise🙂.

Want to rent at car for the day after returning from a cruise so i can go to Sawgrass Mills and do some shopping and lunch before our flight home in the afternoon.

I have both Avis Preferred Status and Hertz President Circle but not sure how much that helps on the small downtown location when there are long wait times.

2 hours ago, Norway_cruiser said:

Any of the rental car companies who offer a complimentary shuttle from the port to the rental car center at Miami Airport these days? Alamo used to do that the last time i was on a cruise🙂.

Want to rent at car for the day after returning from a cruise so i can go to Sawgrass Mills and do some shopping and lunch before our flight home in the afternoon.

I have both Avis Preferred Status and Hertz President Circle but not sure how much that helps on the small downtown location when there are long wait times.

I would go with  Alamo / National / Enterprise from, then back to the Rental Center at the airport. They still have a port shuttle I believe but call them just to make sure!

Downtown will be inconvenient 

3 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

I would go with  Alamo / National / Enterprise from, then back to the Rental Center at the airport. They still have a port shuttle I believe but call them just to make sure!

Downtown will be inconvenient 

No more shuttles from cruise terminal to the airport.

21 hours ago, Norway_cruiser said:

Your flight leaves the same day you arrive? Or you have a full day in Miami? Renting a car for a few hours and especially going to Sawgrass seems a bit much unless you have a late night flight. 

I would go with an airport car rental and just take an uber to the Airport car rental center. So then you drop it off at the airport.