Current 555 Steakhouse menu and drink selection on Carnival Radiance 8/22

variable283

I'm posting this mainly because it's current as of my sailing last week on Radiance (8/15/22-8/19/22) The menu is a bit different that the steakhouse menu on carnivals website. You can also see the prices for the cocktails, wines both by the glass and bottles, and the various liquors.

Full Menu and Drink price list from screenshots on my phone here: https://imgur.com/a/biAt0dd

This is what I ended up ordering pics in the link: https://imgur.com/a/B20BDAx

Complimentary amuse-bouche of fried avocado 

Various Breads

Tuna Tartare

Baked Onion Soup

Surf and Turf

Mashed Potatoes with wasabi 

Apple Tarte 

Other thoughts:

I started with a cocktail, specifically the 555,(forgot to take a pic) I didn't end up liking it. I figured it would be sweet based on the ingredients but thought maybe the lime would balance it. Turns out I was wrong it is much to sweet for my liking and I didn't end up finishing it. 

The long brown piece in the bread photo is actually a soft pretzel 

Food was typical steakhouse quality the meat was done a perfect medium rare, lobster was great and you could taste the grill flavor. 

*If there are questions I will try my best and answer them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, allinwonderland said:

Also, someone a few weeks ago mentioned there was a steakhouse brunch on their last sea day - any chance you can confirm that report?

I did not see a steakhouse brunch, though I may have missed it. Also, my cruise was only a 4 day perhaps it's something they offer only on longer trips. 

Enjoy your trip on the Panorama! 

I haven't been on Carnival in years but we're taking our daughter and her son and thought Carnival was a better match.  We generally do Princess, and before Covid the steak was the best steak I had ever tasted.  After the pandemic I was excited to get that steak and it was one of the worst I've ever had, I was so disappointed.

So my question:  What is the quality of the steaks on Carnival now?  Is it really worth the reservation?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by The Greater Fool

Thank you for posting this, variable283!  I'm glad to see the Patz & Hall Pinot Noir is still on the winelist.  One of my favourites on land and my go-to bottle at sea in the Steakhouse.  Now, just hoping it's available on Legend come March...🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I haven't been on Carnival in years but we're taking our daughter and her son and thought Carnival was a better match.  We generally do Princess, and before Covid the steak was the best steak I had ever tasted.  After the pandemic I was excited to get that steak and it was one of the worst I've ever had, I was so disappointed.

So my question:  What is the quality of the steaks on Carnival now?  Is it really worth the reservation?

Thanks in advance.

I would say it is worth the reservation, the food is a noticeable upgrade over the main dinning room options. The setting is nice and much less noisy. Wait staff is on point in the steakhouse. (It can be hit or miss in the main if you are on my time dinning and getting a different server each time.)

As for the steaks? Well that's a mixed bag. The steakhouse itself offers some really good steaks. Is it Morton's or other really high end quality? No, but it is still very good and imho well worth the extra expense. Especially if you have some on board credit left 😉. To be fair to Carnival, Morton's price's for a single steak no aps or sides START at what you paid for an entire meal on Carnival. The cut of meat itself was really good. As I mentioned, I ordered medium rare and the steak came out medium rare. so there is at least attention to detail on how they are preparing them 

As for the steak quality in the MAIN dinning room? Shoe leather and gristle are words that come to mind. It is pretty disappointing actually. Bear in mind that I only ordered steak in the main one time but it but me off it completely. That said, I couldn't in good conscience recommend the steaks in the main.

One thing to note though is you can order steak from the steakhouse in the main itself, for an extra charge of course ($23 and the selections are limited https://imgur.com/a/BpGY85L) I didn't try this myself so I have no recommendations on that but figured I would mention it. 

Enjoy your trip with the family! 

3 hours ago, Island Dog said:

Oops! That's tuna and not steak. My bad.

No worries, lol. Just a quick note if the egg freaks you out. It is served in a half shell so if you don't want to use it you can just put it to the side, and add it later if you are feeling adventurous.  Or just tell them to not give it to you. I will say that once you mix it in, it gives a "depth" and richness to the dish be it steak or in this case tuna tartare.

Have fun on your voyage! 

Edited by variable283
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, variable283 said:

I would say it is worth the reservation, the food is a noticeable upgrade over the main dinning room options. The setting is nice and much less noisy. Wait staff is on point in the steakhouse. (It can be hit or miss in the main if you are on my time dinning and getting a different server each time.)

As for the steaks? Well that's a mixed bag. The steakhouse itself offers some really good steaks. Is it Morton's or other really high end quality? No, but it is still very good and imho well worth the extra expense. Especially if you have some on board credit left 😉. To be fair to Carnival, Morton's price's for a single steak no aps or sides START at what you paid for an entire meal on Carnival. The cut of meat itself was really good. As I mentioned, I ordered medium rare and the steak came out medium rare. so there is at least attention to detail on how they are preparing them 

As for the steak quality in the MAIN dinning room? Shoe leather and gristle are words that come to mind. It is pretty disappointing actually. Bear in mind that I only ordered steak in the main one time but it but me off it completely. That said, I couldn't in good conscience recommend the steaks in the main.

One thing to note though is you can order steak from the steakhouse in the main itself, for an extra charge of course ($23 and the selections are limited https://imgur.com/a/BpGY85L) I didn't try this myself so I have no recommendations on that but figured I would mention it. 

Enjoy your trip with the family! 

No worries, lol. Just a quick note if the egg freaks you out. It is served in a half shell so if you don't want to use it you can just put it to the side, and add it later if you are feeling adventurous.  Or just tell them to not give it to you. I will say that once you mix it in, it gives a "depth" and richness to the dish be it steak or in this case tuna tartare.

Have fun on your voyage! 

Thanks! I will try mixing it in a portion of it and see how it tastes. Trying to be somewhat adventurous in my old age! With food anyways. Lol.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, soulsistah007 said:

How was the surf and turf? It looks like a small portion. Was the whole meal filling?

Surf and turf was really good as I mentioned. The portion size is ok, the filet if you get it on it's own says it's a 9oz cut. The surf and turf doesn't mention sizes but I would guess they used a smaller cut of the filet maybe 4-5oz. I would also guess that it was a 3oz lobster tail. They use a very large plate for the main course. I would say unusually large; so everything appears kind of smaller than it actually is. Overall it was a filling meal with the starters, sides, and dessert. 

*One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is I have seen videos of people being able to order any 2 starters in the steakhouse. Well they weren't having that on the Radiance. They were very strict and said your second starter has to be either a soup or salad. (so for example NO ordering crab cake and tuna tartare together)

Edited by variable283
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, variable283 said:

*One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is I have seen videos of people being able to order any 2 starters in the steakhouse. Well they weren't having that on the Radiance. They were very strict and said your second starter has to be either a soup or salad. (so for example NO ordering crab cake and tuna tartare together)

Yet another cutback.  They've always allowed us to get two starters if we wished. Sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HB.Blake said:

how strict are they on the Radiance 555 steak house for dress rules?  Will cargo shorts and flip flops with a t-shirt not be allowed?  Do they enforce these rules?

Tldr: Not strict at all. My sample size is 1 night so your mileage may vary: 

The steakhouse has a posted dress code and frankly in my opinion it can be nice to get dressed up sometimes. I put on a nice watch, (I'm a watch guy) dress shirt and pants. My shoes were dress shoes and that was basically it. 

Went to the steakhouse and everyone was dressed in what I would call business casual, dress or polo shirts slacks or jeans, ladies were wearing dresses, or business attire. However, there was one gentleman dinning alone. This person was in a white coat, t-shirt, shorts, and open toe flip flops. 

Honestly, if he had taken off the coat he could have been at the pool. Personally I don't care, I work in IT in the silicon valley so I've seen...lets say far more casual. Anyway, on the Radiance, the dress code at least to me didn't seem like it was enforced.

Please bear in mind that this was 1 cruise, you may have a different experience. Also, I enjoyed my trip. The wait staff and the food was fantastic, I would recommend it to others. 

Edited by variable283
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HB.Blake said:

how strict are they on the Radiance 555 steak house for dress rules?  Will cargo shorts and flip flops with a t-shirt not be allowed?  Do they enforce these rules?

We've dined in the CCL steakhouse numerous times, and I don't ever recall seeing anyone dressed this way.  Not saying the code is enforced - just saying I've never witnessed this attire. Jeans and a golf shirt would be fine if you want to go more casual.  I'll end my comments re: dress codes at that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

We've dined in the CCL steakhouse numerous times, and I don't ever recall seeing anyone dressed this way.  Not saying the code is enforced - just saying I've never witnessed this attire. Jeans and a golf shirt would be fine if you want to go more casual.  I'll end my comments re: dress codes at that.

Correct, the first time I've seen that too. I only brought up my experience this time because it was asked. I witnessed the aforementioned attire 1 night on 1 sailing. That said I would encourage anyone to enjoy the steakhouse, maybe dress up a bit! 😀

• Like 2