HELP! I think I filled out my ArriveCAN wrong

cidymom

I'm leaving on my cruise on Saturday from Vancouver to Alaska return so I just completed my ArriveCAN.  When I printed my ArriveCAN E-Receipt, I noticed that it had the return date of the cruise not my embarkation date.  Did I fill out it out wrong?  When asked for embark date, I put down 2022 8 27 and then I think it asked for arrival into Canada so I put down the Vancouver cruise terminal and the return date 2022 9 03.  But the printed E-Receipt shows 2022 09 03 so does that mean they think I'm boarding on September 3 which is the date I return.  I'm really confused and worried they might not let me on now!!  Can someone explain what I did wrong and how to fix if it wrong.  Thank you in advance for any help.

OMG, I was so worried there.  Why would they ask for it to be completed at the start of the cruise then if it is for the return trip back to Canada.  That totally threw me off!  Thank you for the explanation. 

Not being privy to government decision making, it's all guesswork - but what makes sense to me is a twofold set of reasons:

First, cruises have always been treated differently than other travel by Canada during the pandemic (witness the 'no cruising at all' approach for anything but the tiniest of ships until this season).

Second, when else would there be a chance to sensibly verify that all pax are compliant except at embarkation? Reminding everyone they need to log on and do ArriveCAN within the 72 hour limit for flights, land crossings is not very practical compared to checking at embarkation, when every single pax is already having IDs, tickets etc. checked.

And if you think about it, this is exactly the same as what happens boarding a plane to Canada - they still check you have ArriveCAN rceipts before letting you on, it's just days rather than hours or even minutes before your expected arrival time because cruise travel is slow in comparison!

• Like 3

Although ArriveCan can be a nuisance to complete, the advantages at arrival back in Canada are considerable. Cruise lines are required to ensure that everyone boarding a round trip cruise has completed it properly. (As discussed in other posts, this is not required for a one-way cruise from Canada.)

We recently took an Alaska cruise to and from Vancouver. There was some confusion at embarkation because many passengers were confused as to the first Canadian port of call on the return so had not completed it properly. On our Cunard Queen Elizabeth cruise it was Victoria, with Vancouver being the disembarkation port the next day. So this had to be corrected on the pier before those passengers could board.

During the voyage the purser's staff collected customs declaration cards. When we arrived in Victoria the ship was cleared within minutes and passengers could go shore without any formality. The same applied on return to Vancouver. Passengers did not have to speak with any border officials because Cunard had checked all passports, ArriveCan and customs declaration forms and completed a manifest. Customs officers were available for anyone who had something to declare over the allowance, but it was an arrival without any fuss. It's a pity that arriving by air cannot be as civilised! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

Apparently some believe ArriveCAN infringes on constitutional rights, https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/group-files-constitutional-challenge-of-arrivecan-app-in-federal-court-1.6040629. One can only hope the justices don't injure themselves falling off the bench laughing.

I surprised that they haven't challenged the requirement to have a passport when travelling. Or a driver's license when driving. It appears that the Sovereign Citizens movement is creeping into Canada.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Apparently some believe ArriveCAN infringes on constitutional rights, https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/group-files-constitutional-challenge-of-arrivecan-app-in-federal-court-1.6040629. One can only hope the justices don't injure themselves falling off the bench laughing.

Unfortunately the Canadian Government continues to use the pandemic as an excuse for many things.

Call ArriveCAN what it is, a tool to track travelers both foreign and domestic as they enter the country.  The government wants this information for some reason but to continue to say it is to fight Covid is ridiculous.

I also don't believe ArriveCAN is some conspiracy either.  I have a smart phone and use social media, Apple and Microsoft know more about me than our governement ever will because I complete ArriveCAN when I travel.

• Like 1

Well, I guess a new lawsuit will keep that sector of the economy rolling.  And don’t get me started on the Sovereign Citizen movement.  I see and hear it every day here in the Metropolitan DC area.  

I agree with @truckswain in that it’s a tool.  I am not offended.  Then, again, I cannot fathom the mindset of the freedom and liberty crowd.  My husband tells me that’s a good thing.  😂

• Like 2