Snorkeling around the wreckage

Carriecruises

Last April in GC we chartered a dive/snorkel trip so everyone could be together. The divers really wanted to do a wreakage site so that was our main stop. As the dive master said "it's really not very fun for snorkelers." I wish we had known this before we chartered. Diving in a wreakage is fun but snorkeling above is rather boring. This is just our opinion but I think you might want to choose a snorkel site. We are going to GC in August and are arranging a different charter, one that both snorkelers and divers will enjoy. Being in the water is always fun, it was just disappointing for the snorkelers.

Carrie, Cole is right, if the wreck is too deep it's not much fun. But shallow wrecks are awesome, the best one for us so far was the Antilla II wreck in Aruba, a WWII tanker, covered in golden coral, tons of fish, it felt like being over the Titanic. Part of the deck was so shallow we could touch it with our flippers. It spoiled us for doing reefs anymore.

Two shallow wrecks in Cayman can be done for free on your own without a tour, the Cali near the terminal dock, and the Gamma about a mile north, at the Wharf restaurant, partly beached, with one side underwater for snorkeling, prop, engine parts etc still intact, lots of fish. We're doing that one in 2 weeks. There is info and photos of it on the Cayman Activity Guide forum under Snorkeling, a diver/snorkeler Paul has been there a few times.

-Bob

Carrie, Cole is right, if the wreck is too deep it's not much fun. But shallow wrecks are awesome, the best one for us so far was the Antilla II wreck in Aruba, a WWII tanker, covered in golden coral, tons of fish, it felt like being over the Titanic. Part of the deck was so shallow we could touch it with our flippers. It spoiled us for doing reefs anymore.

Two shallow wrecks in Cayman can be done for free on your own without a tour, the Cali near the terminal dock, and the Gamma about a mile north, at the Wharf restaurant, partly beached, with one side underwater for snorkeling, prop, engine parts etc still intact, lots of fish. We're doing that one in 2 weeks. There is info and photos of it on the Cayman Activity Guide forum under Snorkeling, a diver/snorkeler Paul has been there a few times.

-Bob

Bob, thank you for the information but I had a few questions. I found a few other snorkel spots like Eden Rock, Cheeseburger Reef and of course the shipwrecks. Are these free to just enter? We have our own snorkel gear. Is it safe to do on our own?

Thanks

Carrie

Bob, thank you for the information but I had a few questions. I found a few other snorkel spots like Eden Rock, Cheeseburger Reef and of course the shipwrecks. Are these free to just enter? We have our own snorkel gear. Is it safe to do on our own?

Thanks

Carrie

Like Drew says there's no charge to enter the sites. About safety, Eden Rock and the Cali wreck are approx a 100 yard swim from shore, so it's much easier if you have the inflatable snorkel vests, which can be rented for $5. It's more tiring if the sea is choppy too. And much more likely to spill yer beer :-) Are you good swimmers?

The Cali wreck itself is safe b/c it's down about 20 feet, and broken up. Here's a link to photos done by a pair of snorkelers, I traded some email with these 2 hotties and they said they enjoyed it:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2125298192&code=18123641&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

You have to be more careful around the Gamma wreck b/c parts of it are above water and the sea could push you into it if there's a current. Diver Paul said it's been mostly worn smooth, no real sharp parts, but not wise to go any closer than a few feet anyway, just close enough to get some great underwater shots. The prop is still intact and 4 of us were hoping to get some group shots with it. Hopefully it won't start turning :-) The Gamma is a mile left of the cruise terminal (left with the ocean to your back), at The Wharf restaurant.

The Cali wreck is a much shorter 5-7 minute walk to the left of the terminal (left with the ocean behind you) past the Seaman's Memorial, and Divers Down has a new dive shop there. They say their Cali entry spot is closest, 75 yards. The Cali can get crowded b/c the ships use it as one of their snorkel tours, it can be a sea of flippers.

Parts of the Antilla in Aruba were above water and we were told not to go near them, but of course some cowboys had to mess around there and got cut a bit, it was a bit wavy that day, but not too bad. Where parts of the deck were about 5 feet underwater it was fun to stand on the deck with our flippers. (I'm "King of the Wreck!")

We'll be doing the Gamma in a couple weeks and I'll post some news about it here.

-Bob

Thanks everyone for you input. I can't wait to go snorkeling. I actually went out and bought new snorkel gear but being from Oklahoma, I can't seem to find the vest that are inflatable. Any suggestions?

Dive shops usually sell them for $60-80, kind of expensive, but there are always some on eBay much cheaper. But why not rent them for $5 when yer on the island?

Maybe test your mask in a pool or hot tub to see if it leaks, sometimes they don't fit right, if so you could return it and get another. Better to find out now than when yer grappling with a shark :-) When do you go?

Grappling with a shark???? Holy crap!

We are setting sail on RCCL on 4/2/06. Been to GC another time but we just did the stingray. I wasn't too fond of GC but that was because I had too much rum the day before in Mo Bay. I have been doing a lot of reading on GC and now I know I shouldn't have taken my hangover out on it. I am really looking forward to it this time. The water looks beautiful and I think this is going to be my favorite port.

Snorkel vests seem to have gone up since I bought mine, but here is one for $32:

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/snorkelvest/SN-0231

At least a couple of places to rent at Eden Rock - Eden Rock Dive and Abanks. Diver's Down hours can vary, especially if you get there in the afternoon.

Assorted pics I posted here;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=275499

GREAT PICS! Thanks for sharing. So Eden Rock is free and easy to get to. Cali is also free, easy to get to, but is used by the ships as part of the reef & wreck excursion. Is Cali and Cheeseburger the same or near each other. What are the name of the wrecks? Thanks again for shairng. Sorry for the silly questions, but this is our first cruise and we have never been to GC.

GREAT PICS! Thanks for sharing. So Eden Rock is free and easy to get to. Cali is also free, easy to get to, but is used by the ships as part of the reef & wreck excursion. Is Cali and Cheeseburger the same or near each other. What are the name of the wrecks? Thanks again for shairng. Sorry for the silly questions, but this is our first cruise and we have never been to GC.

All free. Cali is one of the wrecks. I think the reef and wreck tours usually go to Cali and Cheeseburger reef. Cali is about 5 or so minute walk from the tender docks and about halfway to Burger King (and Cheeseburger Reef). Eden Rock is about a 5 minute walk from the tender docks in the opposite direction.

Gamma is the other wreck.

GTSnorkel_Map.jpg

With Bob Soto's Dive shop closed, I wasn't sure where to leave my stuff, and was running out of time so walked back to the Cali location to at least get some snorkeling in.

A decent guide to free snorkeling:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

Short answer is I don't know.

I spent enough time at the Cali to see pretty much all there is to see there, but didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked to at Eden Rock, so next time will head back to Eden Rock.

On the other hand, I think I might prefer to find somewhere around the Cali for lunch instead of around Eden Rock.

There will likely be more boat traffic around Cali and more shore snorkelers around Eden Rock. Eden Rock is a larger geographic area to snorkel and ranges from shallow to deep. Cali is further from downtown Georgetown and all the pedestrian cruisers.

Don't think I would head back to the ship for lunch. A lot of time could be wasted tendering back and forth, plus naps are too easy. Where are you planning on eating?

Zydecocruiser...We were thinking about having lunch at the Hardrock Cafe. We like to collect shot classes from cities, states, and Hardrock Cafe's that we visit. Do you recommend somewhere else? Thanks for sharing all the great information on snorkeling in GC. Still trying to decide between Cali and Eden Rock. Leaning more toward Cali because it's a wreck site.:)

In that case, if you have your own equipment, I would be tempted to have the stingray tour drop you off at the Cali location then Hard Rock for lunch and then Eden Rock. Eden Rock is only about a block from Hard Rock.

At either location but certainly at Cali, if you bring some fish food it will get the party started.

Can anyone give me any idea how much it costs to rent snorkel equipment, including the inflatable vest? I'm talking about the Eden Rock area. Also, do the rental places have a place to store your stuff, or what do you do with it? Thanks for the help!

Oops! I should have googled first (sorry). I found the website for Eden Rock Dive. Rental is $5 for mask & snorkel. $5 for fins. $12 for snorkel package. It doesn't say what is in a snorkel package ~ would that include mask, snorkel, fins AND vest? Also says locker rental is available, but couldn't find a price. Any idea? Thanks!

Archived