Piombino Italy

Hi! We just got back from cosmopolitan classics on discovery 2 which called in at Piombino.

We had a busy previous day (Naples) so we’re looking for a steady day at Piombino. (Done Pisa before and didn’t  fancy the 4 hour round trip to Sienna.) to be honest I wasn’t sure what to expect from this place but was pleasantly surprised.

There was a regular free shuttle bus provided, took about 15 mins to the town. Although not a big town there was enough to explore at a slow pace. There are some pretty narrow streets with restaurants and cafes, a pretty waterfront and some ancient buildings to look at if that’s your thing. The local town council have some tour guides stationed for the day who are more than happy to offer information about the the town and things to see. A very relaxed place with enough to fill a morning or afternoon but not much more. We found the bars and restaurants reasonably priced too.

The port itself is busy with ferry traffic to the nearby islands, we were the only cruise ship in and felt like there wouldn’t be space for another. One side of the port has a lovely view out to the open sea and the islands in the distance,  the other far side is very industrial with old factories / power station. Overall I wasn’t expecting much from this stop but we found it to be a nice quieter stop midway through our itinerary. 

Many thanks, just what we thought.  Been to Pisa and are quite happy to just meander if there's a nice water front and cafes. 

What did you think of Palermo? I'm guessing it's quite a busy port? We've been to Catania and really liked it so I guess it's similar.

How was the rest of the cruise? This is one of the cruises we're looking to book in October.

21 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

Many thanks, just what we thought.  Been to Pisa and are quite happy to just meander if there's a nice water front and cafes. 

What did you think of Palermo? I'm guessing it's quite a busy port? We've been to Catania and really liked it so I guess it's similar.

How was the rest of the cruise? This is one of the cruises we're looking to book in October.

It was our first visit to Sicily so can’t really compare it im afraid, but Palermo was busy and bustling as you say. Very easy to walk to all the main sites in the city within 30 mins walk. There was also a shuttle bus running around the city from the port but information wasn’t easy to find so we walked most of it. Really enjoyed our time here. Rest of the cruise was fab, Palamos another easy one to explore on foot with a much smaller port and villefranche is always a favourite of mine. Big choice of places to aim for at Naples…Overall there was so much you could do without excursions but plenty of options if you do want to go further afield ….I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

Thanks, very useful.  Done most of the city excursions and just want to wander around the ports taking in local sights and refreshments!

I know many people don't like Naples but we loved walking round the local areas and found a street that was closed off with tables outside full of locals,  had a delicious pizza and glass of wine for €6!!