Struggling with selecting Southern Caribbean excursions!

aururab

14 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Have you considered a cruise out of San Juan and flying in a day or two early?

The advantage of a San Juan cruise is that it's almost always a nice Southern Caribbean cruise as opposed to a Western or Eastern itinerary which can get monotonous. Also, most of the cruises out of there have only one or two SEA days max! Very port intensive if that interests you.

We've taken a couple cruises out of there and really enjoy them. Avoid cruises during school breaks and holidays however if you don't want to cruise with a bunch of kids.

Additionally, the cruises from San Jaun seem to be a little less expensive which helps offset the price of flying there. We usually do a B2B out of there to save on transportation costs.

Most of the time I do the 12 night cruise out of Baltimore.  I live 3 hours from the port there, so it is easier to get to.  With that cruise ya get 3 days down, 5 days in the islands and 3 days back.  That gives me time to leave the real world behind, 5 days of seeing and learning new things and places, and 3 days to get ready to go back to the real world.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aururab said:

SUN, FEB 19    San Juan, Puerto Rico        

MON, FEB 20    St. Thomas, USV

* private snorkel full day boat tour confirmed

TUE, FEB 21    St. Croix, USVI    

* snorkel Buck island half day
or
* Beach day on ??? not sure which beach! ha Maybe Cane Bay where some people can SCUBA from the beach

WED, FEB 22    Philipsburg, St. Maarten

* free day, window shop and beach 
* A few people might go on a one tank dive who are not interested in shopping! 🙂

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* Probably a land/sea combo tour... Still having a hard time on this one

FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* Still torn... The adults ALL want to go rum tasting, and the Boatyard looks amazing for the kids! 

SAT, FEB 25    St. Kitts, Kitts and Nevis    
* 4x4 - Maybe Gregg's tours
or

* Beach Day at ??? 

SUN, FEB 26    San Juan, Puerto Rico   

May I suggest that you all do Cruzan Rum Tour and beach day in St Croix?  At the end of the pier in St Croix you can walk down and book a tour to Cruzan Rum and they will bring you back to the pier and the beach is right there.  Doing that would leave so much more open to do in Barbados.  

If you can zip line in San Juan I would do it there because you have more time there to explore and such then you do on the other islands.

St Lucia I am telling you go with Cosol tours.  you will enjoy it.  Also one stop they do is at a banana plantain type place that has a road side stand with things you can buy.  You can buy a bottle that has everything except the sugar and white rum to make your spiced rum at home.  each bottle if i remember right you can use to make spiced rum 4 or 6 times.  Was a big hit as a souvenir for some friends.

• Like 1

IMHO, Barbados is the best beach spot.  We have been to all of the islands you list and we prefer the beaches at Barbados.  Perfect sand, crystal clear water.  The Boatyard is a good choice.  Kind of close to the pier.   You get a decent look at Bridgetown on the way there and back.  Harbor Lights is a couple of blocks south of them and is also a great spot.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, aururab said:

* private snorkel full day boat tour confirmed

* snorkel Buck island half day
or
* Beach day on ??? not sure which beach! ha Maybe Cane Bay where some people can SCUBA from the beach

* A few people might go on a one tank dive who are not interested in shopping! 🙂

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* Probably a land/sea combo tour... Still having a hard time on this one

FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* Still torn... The adults ALL want to go rum tasting, and the Boatyard looks amazing for the kids! 

* 4x4 - Maybe Gregg's tours
or

* Beach Day at ??? 

Love the Boatyard!!!!!!

On 8/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, Sea Dog said:

We did all three of those. Secret Sands is amazing. If doing it through Royal the host makes a incredible rum punch.

Carambola Beach Club is also very nice. Great bar make sure you get a "Dirty Monkey".

St. Lucia Catamaran cruise was very enjoyable.

Awesome sauce thanks my man

Hello, I love the Southern Caribbean route. We are doing our 2nd cruise out of San Juan next spring. The first thing I did was determine how many ships (and what size) will be in each port at the same time. That will affect some of my choices. For St. Maarten, that will be the busiest port so we opted for a rhino cruise (https://www.rhinotours.com). I figure we will be on the water and not crowded for most of our excursion.

If you dive, Coki beach on St. Thomas has a great shore dive. You very quickly drop to around 40 feet and we saw lots of great stuff (including a beautiful eel!) I’m not sure how it would be for snorkelers though. I have done that snorkel at the Buck Island National Park and it was great.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:43 PM, kimberlym322 said:

May I suggest that you all do Cruzan Rum Tour and beach day in St Croix?  At the end of the pier in St Croix you can walk down and book a tour to Cruzan Rum and they will bring you back to the pier and the beach is right there.  Doing that would leave so much more open to do in Barbados.  

If you can zip line in San Juan I would do it there because you have more time there to explore and such then you do on the other islands.

St Lucia I am telling you go with Cosol tours.  you will enjoy it.  Also one stop they do is at a banana plantain type place that has a road side stand with things you can buy.  You can buy a bottle that has everything except the sugar and white rum to make your spiced rum at home.  each bottle if i remember right you can use to make spiced rum 4 or 6 times.  Was a big hit as a souvenir for some friends.

You seriously solved all of my issues! 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:57 AM, radarcruiser said:

IMHO, Barbados is the best beach spot.  We have been to all of the islands you list and we prefer the beaches at Barbados.  Perfect sand, crystal clear water.  The Boatyard is a good choice.  Kind of close to the pier.   You get a decent look at Bridgetown on the way there and back.  Harbor Lights is a couple of blocks south of them and is also a great spot.

The blow up things in the water at the Boatyard is definitely what will be the hight for the kids! Thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, aururab said:

You seriously solved all of my issues! 🙂

LOL.  I am an over planner so I research while sitting at work doing nothing in the summer.  I always have a plan because of that and then 2 back up plans after that no matter where I go.  

I suggest taking the kids on the rum tour also....it will turn them off of rum for life.  😁  At the very least they will learn something new.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, aururab said:

For the most part everyone wants to stay together for excursions, but what I am struggling with the most is what days to not plan anything more specific than a beach day... Definitely in St Maarten and I can't decided where else! 🙂

And yes, the train is definitely a bad idea for this group 🙂

We have 2 full days in San Juan before the cruise departs (plus departure day) and then we are spending on night there before returning home (unless the airfare miraculously falls!) Our plan there is 

San Juan
- Thursday: Dinner at hotel 
- Friday: Explore Old San Juan
- Saturday: Maybe zip lines here so we can do other things on excursions 

- Sunday Cruise departs 

Return - Just relax at the hotel. We are staying at Fairmont El San Juan on both ends. 

If you have time in San Juan, try to do the forts. They are fabulous.

If anyone in your group has the National Parks Passport card, entrance fees are free.

Young kids might enjoy Pigeon Park. A woman sells corn (minor charge) and you can feed pigeons. Ok...they will land on your shoulders and head, but I thought that was part of the fun.

There's Umbrella Street, just down from the government building. Lots of shops & restaurants with stuff hanging overhead. It changes. It used to be umbrellas, but I have seen pics lately of kites or butterflies. I haven't been there but it's on my list for next March.

7 hours ago, kimberlym322 said:

LOL.  I am an over planner so I research while sitting at work doing nothing in the summer.  I always have a plan because of that and then 2 back up plans after that no matter where I go.  

I suggest taking the kids on the rum tour also....it will turn them off of rum for life.  😁  At the very least they will learn something new.

Looks like the rum tour in St. Croix isn't currently running ;( 

Oh well... Will just have to buy the rum! ha 

23 hours ago, HxFx said:

If you dive, Coki beach on St. Thomas has a great shore dive. You very quickly drop to around 40 feet and we saw lots of great stuff (including a beautiful eel!) I’m not sure how it would be for snorkelers though. I have done that snorkel at the Buck Island National Park and it was great.

Thanks! I am borderline obsessed with Buck Island, but not sure if it is worth giving up the time to see everything else on the island. There also seem to be to lots of great beaches where we could do a shore dive here as well, and those that want to stay above water would have a few more options (though, everyone in the group does enjoy snorkeling)!

23 hours ago, csnarpy said:

A day out on a catamaran is always my favorite day! 

That said, this is basically my dilemma... So much to worthwhile things to do on each of these islands... 

I need at least 2 days (preferably 3) without a major excursion expense where we are just going to a beach or wandering around town. 

* Barbados & St. Maarten were my two options for that... 

Alternatively, which island is best for a bit of shopping? 🙂 Nothing specific or high end in mind... 

Land based activities at least once
* Corosol in Saint Lucia 

* Maybe Gregg's tour in St. Kitts... 

Okay... I took the advice to look up what cruise ships are in port on the same days and wondering if that changes some of my plans!

That is a lot of cruise ships in St. Maarten that day! 

* Voyager of the Seas - Crown Bay Dock

* Enchanted Princess - West Indian Co. Dock 

* Voyager of the seas

Arvia 6.264 passengers

Norwegian Pearl - 2.873 passengers 

Celebrity Millennium - 2.590 passengers

Voyager Of The Seas - 3.938 passengers

MSC Seaside - 5.336 passengers

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* Voyager of the Seas

* Vision of the Seas

FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* Brittannia - 4,406 passenger

* Voyager of the Seas

* Voyager of the Seas

* Norwegian Epic - 5,074 passengers

• Like 1

It sounds like you have some very fun things in mind!  Too many good options is something of a nice problem to have.

Allow me to bring something up, though.  You mentioned that everyone pretty much wants to stay together for excursions.  If that really does work, then go forth and be merry.  However, one of the great advantages to cruising is that it is very easy for those travelling together to split up, do what they want to do, and then regroup. 

If you have folks who want to do different things, there's nothing at all wrong with different folks doing different things (including staying on board).  Obviously, you have to take the kids into consideration, but there are ways to work with that.

We did a very informative tour of St. Kitts with a private tour by Thenford Grey.  That was in Jan. of 2020.  

Check out his website to see if one of his many customizable tours would work for you.

We will definitely do this tour again on return trip to St. Kitts in 2023.

Jim

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thetwoofus1 said:

We did a very informative tour of St. Kitts with a private tour by Thenford Grey.  That was in Jan. of 2020.  

Check out his website to see if one of his many customizable tours would work for you.

We will definitely do this tour again on return trip to St. Kitts in 2023.

Jim

Would it be good for the young kids?

On 8/28/2022 at 1:29 AM, aururab said:

We are 6 adults, 4 kids between 6 and 10 sail on Feb 19 Voyager of the seas southern Caribbean cruise. 

There is so much to do on each island, and then fun to be had on the ship that we struggling to find a balance. Can some who has been on this route help me out?

* private snorkel full day? (Is there a better island for this?

* snorkel and SCUBA Buck island half day

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* zip lines
FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* no idea…. But would like to experience a bit of the island…
* no idea….

thanks so much!

We did snorkeling in St. Maarten.  The water is SO SALTY that you float with zero effort -- it's actually hard to dive down.  I think the boat we took out was the Lord Sheffield.  It was a great trip.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aururab said:

Alternatively, which island is best for a bit of shopping? 🙂 Nothing specific or high end in mind... 

Each island has a lot of shopping and each has something different to offer.  If Royal still does them on sea day(s) they have port talks that talk about shopping.  Something good to do is get the information for the free charm bracelet and charms from each port.  They are not high quality but it would be something nice for the kids to collect and remember the trip by.  There is also coupons they give out for free ear rings and such.  Again not high quality, but FREE is the first best 4 letter word there is.  All the ports will have Del Sol in it....want the men to behave themselves?...stop in and get what the one shopping lady on Royal calls "revenge in a bottle"  it is nail polish, it goes on clear and then when in the sun it turns cherry red...best part ya paint the nails while they are asleep and they wont know until they go outside.  🤣  I would also talk to the kids about something they would like to collect so that they can look for somethin to fit that collection on each island.  A good family souvenir is to collect Christmas tree ornaments.  

9 hours ago, aururab said:

Would it be good for the young kids?

Yes Thenford Grey Tours are good for all ages.  The first time I was on St. Kitts I did the Grand Tour of St. Kitts with them...great tour, however we felt rushed...where my mom and I would of liked more time at Romney Manor and the Caribelle Batik Shop others did not want to be there long and while my mom and I would have liked less time at Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park while others wanted to spend an hour or more there.  That is why the next year and each year after we paid the extra to do a privet tour with the company.  With the privet tour what I did was find the things on the island we wanted to do.  SO this is what one years privet tour looked like:

Meet driver at meeting spot, let the driver know at this point what all aboard time is and let them know be back 1-1 1/2 hours       before to shop on the pier.

Stop somewhere for a to go breakfast to eat on the drive

Romney Manor so that we could look around more at the gardens and buy some hand died fabric

A fabric store that locals would shop at (mom and I do crafts and we have found so good fabric on the island)

Lunch where you can get local food.  Had some great food doing this stop...if you do this and they stop along the road and the place looks like a shack don't think twice about it the food will be good.

A stop at a grocery store (my nephew is a cook so I take local spices to him from all the islands I go to)

A hour or so at the beach.

Any places I found in my research that I would like to go to

Back to the pier for some shopping

On the boat before all aboard time to make it up to watch to see if there is any pier runners. 🤪

• Like 1