MDR dining on Beyond, how does it work?

dleahy4444

Past Beyond cruisers: I’ll be on the Beyond in October and have a traditional set dining time: 8:30, (not Select dining). I know that the MDR has been divided into four separate restaurants each with their own theme: Normandy, Cypress, Tuscany and Cosmopolitan. Will we be arbitrarily assigned to one of these? If so, how easily can we arrange to go to the remaining restaurants on different dates?

Or, do we just show up at any of the 4 restaurants  on whatever day we choose, without prior arrangement, and we will be be seated as long as it is at our assigned time of 8:30?

My understanding of traditional dining is you will be assigned to one of the 4 dining rooms; there will be a card in your stateroom advising you which. Last year on Apex, which has the same MDR format, I understand it was quite easy to move around.  We had select, but talked with others on traditional.  That said, our cruise was sailing at 40% capacity.  I would imagine as ships move closer to capacity, it will take more coordination to move to different dining rooms.  My suggestion would be to speak to the Maitre d’ in your assigned dining room and ask if they can facilitate you dining in another dining room;  I would think with advance request this could be done.

just an FYI, it has been widely reported that you can order from the “exclusives “ section of one of the other dining rooms.

2 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

My understanding of traditional dining is you will be assigned to one of the 4 dining rooms; there will be a card in your stateroom advising you which. Last year on Apex, which has the same MDR format, I understand it was quite easy to move around.  We had select, but talked with others on traditional.  That said, our cruise was sailing at 40% capacity.  I would imagine as ships move closer to capacity, it will take more coordination to move to different dining rooms.  My suggestion would be to speak to the Maitre d’ in your assigned dining room and ask if they can facilitate you dining in another dining room;  I would think with advance request this could be done.

just an FYI, it has been widely reported that you can order from the “exclusives “ section of one of the other dining rooms.

Thank you for your response. I am going to do what you suggested.  

We had 6:30pm set dining on 2 Edge and one Apex. We were assigned one of the 4 MDRs and went there the first night. We then asked for each of the other 3 and dined at all. 

it really isn’t the MDR split into 4 areas. They are 4 separate dining experiences and differing design. enjoyed each. Each have the standard menu which changes each day and the set entrees that are carried every night plus a number of dishes connected to their themes. 

it makes dining a step above for us. Loved it. 

you can ask for the menu of one if the other venues if you want to stick with one MDR but I’d strongly suggest you go to each. 

den 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We had 6:30pm set dining on 2 Edge and one Apex. We were assigned one of the 4 MDRs and went there the first night. We then asked for each of the other 3 and dined at all. 

it really isn’t the MDR split into 4 areas. They are 4 separate dining experiences and differing design. enjoyed each. Each have the standard menu which changes each day and the set entrees that are carried every night plus a number of dishes connected to their themes. 

it makes dining a step above for us. Loved it. 

you can ask for the menu of one if the other venues if you want to stick with one MDR but I’d strongly suggest you go to each. 

den 

Thank you for your reply. That is what I plan to do. It’s a 12 day transatlantic so I’d like to experience all of them rather than the same room for that length of time 

Nice of the OP to come back and thank us for posting info.

Enjoy your cruise! We love TA’s. We are on the Edge in Oct out of Rome (Civitavecchia) to FLL and enjoying our Roll Call. Going to meet up with a lot of the others in various social events and so on. Good ports, but great At Sea time!

Den

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Nice of the OP to come back and thank us for posting info.

Enjoy your cruise! We love TA’s. We are on the Edge in Oct out of Rome (Civitavecchia) to FLL and enjoying our Roll Call. Going to meet up with a lot of the others in various social events and so on. Good ports, but great At Sea time!

Den

Thank you! I’m so excited about it. I’m really looking forward to the days at sea, doing nothing. I was on a Mediterranean cruise in April and it was great but exhausting since it was 5 ports in seven days! Enjoy the Edge!