Best port of call to dive - Mexico / Honduras

rotman253

That's a tough choice, as all three have great diving. 

If it were me, I would eliminate Roatan, as the diving there can be a bit of a hassle to get to.  If your cruise ship has a scuba excursion there, it will likely be through Anthony's Key Resort.  Over the years I've had mixed experiences with them.  Now when I dive in Roatan I usually go through Subway Scuba, and I liked them.  However, that was before COVID.  so I don't have a strong recommendation for Roatan.

Costa Maya (Mahahual) is one of my favorite places.  If you get hold of Catherine Giroux at Gypsea Divers, I promise you'll have a great day of diving.  When you disembark, you walk through the port facility,and out the gate, where there will be taxis.  It was $4.00 per person last time I was there.  Tell the taxi you want to go to either Gypsea Divers, or the Nacional Beach Club.. (http://gypseadivers.com)

For Cozumel the diving is certainly fantastic, and I can recommend one of the very best.  Sherief Sanad, at Humarine diving will make sure you have the best day there. (https://humarine.com/)

Harris

Denver, CO

20 hours ago, omeinv said:

That's a tough choice, as all three have great diving. 

If it were me, I would eliminate Roatan, as the diving there can be a bit of a hassle to get to.  If your cruise ship has a scuba excursion there, it will likely be through Anthony's Key Resort.  Over the years I've had mixed experiences with them.  Now when I dive in Roatan I usually go through Subway Scuba, and I liked them.  However, that was before COVID.  so I don't have a strong recommendation for Roatan.

Costa Maya (Mahahual) is one of my favorite places.  If you get hold of Catherine Giroux at Gypsea Divers, I promise you'll have a great day of diving.  When you disembark, you walk through the port facility,and out the gate, where there will be taxis.  It was $4.00 per person last time I was there.  Tell the taxi you want to go to either Gypsea Divers, or the Nacional Beach Club.. (http://gypseadivers.com)

For Cozumel the diving is certainly fantastic, and I can recommend one of the very best.  Sherief Sanad, at Humarine diving will make sure you have the best day there. (https://humarine.com/)

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks for the great info.
It looks like Cozumel is the place for me.
Question, since I will be there with wife and kids, is the diving club located on a nice and public beach?
Would they be able to enjoy their time at the beach while I take 1 dive?

1 hour ago, rotman253 said:

Question, since I will be there with wife and kids, is the diving club located on a nice and public beach?

@rotman253

Cozumel (Specially the town, San Miguel de Cozumel) is a pretty major tourist destination.  Your family will surely be able to find plenty to do there.  The various beach clubs, and nicer beaches are a bit south of town, but can be accessed easily by taxi, or through either cruise ship or private excursion. 

In Costa Maya, whether you dive or not, it's worth the cab ride into Mahahual, and the beach there is very nice. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Just back yesterday from our cruise, diving with Gypsea in Mahuahal, Dive Paradise in Cozumel and the RCL 1-tank dive at Perfect Day.

Harris, Catherine was an absolute *joy.* She sends her regards! I was fortunate to be the only diver that day, and GaLa was one of the best guides I've ever had. The reef was great, and we got to see a nice big stingray, along with all the usual Mexico life. 

Thanks for that recommendation. I will definitely be back there!

I would disagree about diving at Roatan.  We find it the easiest to arrange and the diving the easiest of the area.  The cruise ships used to have a contract with Anthony's Key Resort and they are fantastic.  Now I think you have to book independently but there are several companies that will pick you up at the port and return you afterwards.  

Cozumel has incredible diving but the dive boats all tend to go out at 7:30am-8:30am timeframe as all the great dive sites are on the southern range of the island so long boat travel time.  So from what we have found, you can't get to any of those better dive sites on a cruise unless you book 4-6 people privately to pay for the whole boat and have them wait for you.  Love the diving there but... it is more of a hassle.  The dive sites closer to the cruise ship ports are much shallower and can be good, just not epic.  

On 9/5/2022 at 12:42 PM, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Just back yesterday from our cruise, diving with Gypsea in Mahuahal, Dive Paradise in Cozumel and the RCL 1-tank dive at Perfect Day.

Harris, Catherine was an absolute *joy.* She sends her regards! I was fortunate to be the only diver that day, and GaLa was one of the best guides I've ever had. The reef was great, and we got to see a nice big stingray, along with all the usual Mexico life. 

Thanks for that recommendation. I will definitely be back there!

Catherine always makes it diving with friends, rather than just diving.  Gala is another gem.  It's been fun to follow her progress from new Divemaster Student, to the pro she now is. 

I'm glad you were able to become part of the Gypsea family!

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2022 at 2:59 PM, rotman253 said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 3:55 PM, rotman253 said:

Hello,
My cruise will port in :

1. Roatan, Honduras
  2.     Costa Maya, Mexico
  3. Cozumel, Mexico

I'm wondering which one of those are best to scuba dive. I can only choose one of them.
    Thanks

Sounds like you're taking a Royal cruise. Royal docks at the International Pier. Don't have any recs for CM but you might check out ScubaLifeCozumel as their morning boat is 9 AM. Cozumel Certified Diving - Scuba Life Cozumel | Cozumel Scuba Diving & Snorkeling and Roatan Divers in Roatan. They have transfers from the Pier that takes about 20 minutes and West Bay is just a few minutes away that your family can spend time on the beach while you dive. Roatan Divers | The best in boutique style scuba diving on Roatan And you should really consider doing a 2 tank dive as it's a lot of trouble for just one tank.

Edited by SellN4U