Using a EU Identity Card for Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity?

Fly and Sail

Does anyone know if it's possible to travel with a EU Identity Card on cruises that are solely visiting EU Ports, specifically the EDGE sailings ex Rome. It's a valid identity document in the EU and accepted for air travel, even for countries where EU citizens frequently travel such as Turkey and Egypt.

I'm looking through all the documents Celebrity sent us and they only mention passport (or passport card for eligible U.S. cruises and U.S. citizens who have them).

I need to apply for a visa and would prefer to send my passport off before my cruise so that it's ready when I'm back home. All website details only talk about passports and are very U.S. centric. The app check-in also doesn't mention the option to check in with an ID card.

We have recently completed a cruise a Mediterranean cruise on Silhouette.

We have always needed our passports. We have never had ID cards in UK.

Most ports we could use photo ID( driving licence) as well as our cruise card ( which had a photo on it) but in Civitavecchia, we had to have a passport in order to get back on the ship after a shore excursion. 
We were informed that it was a passport only port.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

We have recently completed a cruise a Mediterranean cruise on Silhouette.

We have always needed our passports. We have never had ID cards in UK.

Most ports we could use photo ID( driving licence) as well as our cruise card ( which had a photo on it) but in Civitavecchia, we had to have a passport in order to get back on the ship after a shore excursion. 
We were informed that it was a passport only port.

Yep some countries don't have an ID card (these are the ones that do) but I can't imagine it to be legal for a EU Port to declare itself "passport only" to EU citizens.

Edit: I finally decided to leave the main X website and ventured off to local European Celebrity pages where I found the answer in German:

Reisepass oder Personalausweis?
Bei Reisen ausserhalb Europas ist der rote EU-Reisepass bzw. der schweizer Reisepass Pflicht.
Bei Reisen, welche ausschliesslich EU-Häfen anlaufen, kann auch ein EU-Personalausweis mitgenommen werden.

Wir machen darauf aufmerksam, dass wir trotzdem bei der Empfehlung bleiben, stets mit Reisepass zu reisen. Der Grund dafür sind unvorhergesehene Zwischenstops in einem Nicht-EU-Land, medizinische Notfälle, Evakuierungen von Bord in ein Nicht-EU-Land etc. Ihr Pass sollte mindestens 6 Monate über das Reiseende hinaus gültig sein.

This confirms the EU Identity Card is valid and accepted for cruises that only travel from/to/via European (EU) ports but that Celebrity recommends to carry a passport when available.

Should have looked on the EU pages right away but strange that they make it so difficult to find the information, even the cruise documents don't include it.

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

but strange that they make it so difficult to find the information,

I find this is increasingly so with the shore side of Celebrity.

About 6 weeks before our cruise, we got daily emails encouraging us to submit our Vaccination status. I did this as soon as asked and they were validated after 2 weeks.

Yet I was still getting these email right up to boarding

.What I did not get was a link to a Muster video, as we had last year, informing us that it had to be watched.

We were later than our assigned time boarding the ship, as our pre arranged taxi was over 2 hours late picking us up.

We were sent straight to Muster and not allowed to go to our cabin to pick up our key, so I have no idea if there was the Safety video on our TV ( it wasn’t showing when we eventually got to the cabin).

At Muster, we were asked no questions, we were just ticked off.

I suggest that this was illegal.

Fortunately, we are frequent cruisers, so have been to Muster many times.

Other passengers have said, it’s on the App.

What about the elderly who don’t have Smart Phones?

12 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

About 6 weeks before our cruise, we got daily emails encouraging us to submit our Vaccination status. I did this as soon as asked and they were validated after 2 weeks.

Yet I was still getting these email right up to boarding

Ditto. To the point of annoyingly and eventually making you doubt if you missed a critical form or whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Ditto. To the point of annoyingly and eventually making you doubt if you missed a critical form or whatsoever.

What's even worse is that I still get these emails and there is no more way to even upload them. But I think the lack of Celebrity's IT sophistication is omnipresent.

7 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I need to apply for a visa and would prefer to send my passport off before my cruise so that it's ready when I'm back home

Can we assume then that "home" is inside the EU, and not in Tokyo as stated under your username? Because I don't know how you would get to and from Tokyo without a passport.