A suspicious e-mail

rkacruiser

An e-mail arrived in my inbox about Noon today asking me to participate in a survey requested by MSC concerning my opinions of MSC's specialty restaurants.  The sender's address was from costacrociere@lexisre....  Lexis Nexus is a legitimate research company and the message was signed Lexis Research and not Lexis Nexus.  If this is genuine, why would MSC have the company use the Italian name of Costa Cruises as the sender?  Since clicking on a link was needed to complete the survey, I am suspicious.  Did anyone else receive that e-mail?  Any opinions about the e-mail?  

37 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Yep. Got the same one. My guess is the research company failed to make a new email address for MSC.

Bret

Did you open the survey?  I am always wary of phishing.  12 years ago, I clicked on what appeared to be a genuine link only to discover hidden in the upper left hand corner of an expanded e-mail view, something written in Russian.  Wasn't a legitimate e-mail when I then called the company that supposedly sent it and was worried for weeks if any of my accounts were compromised.  Ended up closing one credit card and getting a new account issued because of it.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Did you open the survey?  I am always wary of phishing.  12 years ago, I clicked on what appeared to be a genuine link only to discover hidden in the upper left hand corner of an expanded e-mail view, something written in Russian.  Wasn't a legitimate e-mail when I then called the company that supposedly sent it and was worried for weeks if any of my accounts were compromised.  Ended up closing one credit card and getting a new account issued because of it.  

Best to delete I'd say if it concerns you to that extent!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hamrag said:

Best to delete I'd say if it concerns you to that extent!

I am going to do that.  Besides, I have no opinion of their specialty restaurants.  As a YC guest, I did not want to patronize them.  Looked at the Butcher's Cut menu available for Diamond level guests and decided I could dine better in the Meraviglia's YC Restaurant.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

I am going to do that.  Besides, I have no opinion of their specialty restaurants.  As a YC guest, I did not want to patronize them.  Looked at the Butcher's Cut menu available for Diamond level guests and decided I could dine better in the Meraviglia's YC Restaurant.  

My inbox this afternoon contained the same e-mail only, this time, with MSC in place of Costa in the address.  My guess is that I was not the only person who had concerns about this e-mail from Lexus Nexis.  Certainly sloppy on their part!