Private Tours off a Star Flyer Cruise

donaldsc

I realize that this question is probably unanswerable but I am looking for opinions as well as answers.  We are doing a B2B Greek Island cruise this fall off the Star Flyer.  I have been looking to book some private tours during the cruise.  I also have 2 days pre-cruise included with the cruise and 2 days post-cruise included w the cruise as part of the package so I am assuming that at least some of the people doing the same B2B as I am doing  will be staying in the same hotels as we are.  In addition we also have the full day in Athens between cruise #1 and cruise #2.

I have posted the fact that I have tours to share on this trip on CC.  To nobody's surprise I have not received any interested replies.  

I already have 1 tour on the 2nd cruise to Ephesus out of Kusadasi and a good post-cruise tour out of the hotel that Clipper has booked that are shareable although I will be happy do do these tours even if I can't get anyone to share with me.   

Now for my problem.  I am looking at doing a pricy full day private tour to Corinth and then onto the Nemea for wine tasting.  However if I could add 2 or 4 people to the group it would become a very affordable great sounding tour.  So my question is have any of you done a Clipper cruise where ad hoc tours have been put together on board or is my hope of doing this ridiculous.  Remember that the Corinth tour would be between the 2 cruises so I could pick up people doing the B2B and also people are already in Athens.  

So what do you all think.  Is my idea reasonable or ridiculous?

DON

Let's try a bit of math...

Maximum capacity is 166 guests, while usually (especially this year) mostly are 130 - 140 guests are on board. After about 15 cruises with Star Clippers, in my experience about 20 % are travelling in organised groups or with family members or friends. 110 guests are remaining.

Overall, about 30 % are native english speaking guests, interested on english narrated tours. Maybe a bit more on your cruise, and maybe some of other mother tongues could be interested. So, a maximum of 50 people are left.

Back-2-back-cruisers are not much (last cruise we had 2 on board, the only time we went B2B we were 3 in total). Then there are only 4 - 6 people left. That are 2 - 3 couples, and you are already one of them. And this is very optimistic counting. It is more likely that you will be the only native english speaking couple doing these two cruises B2B.

The stop in Athens inbetween is ideal for sightseeing in Athens to avoid an additional night at pre- or post-cruise-stays. I will bet none of all the B2B-cruisers is interested to spend this day out of Athens.

And guests who will board the ship at 4 p. m., if they are already in Athens and not flying in the same day, will surely not bring their luggage early in the morning to the port, just to leave Athens for that day. They rather want to have a relaxed breakfast at their hotel, strolling a bit around in Plaka or in the Acropolis area, having a light greek lunch, packing their suitcases and going to reach the boarding of the ship just in time. No chance to attract them. (By the way. We did so in June, and during our stroll through Plaka, we randomly met the only four B2B-cruisers from the cruise before and our cruise in a street café - we recognised them by their shirts and bags. Yes, the sloop shop has nice shirts... 😉 )

People whose cruise ends and leave the ship at that day are heading to the airport or to their booked hotel, at least to store their luggage there to have their hands free for sightseeing. (That may even be the reasons for you not to organise this specific excursion on the day of embarcation or debarcation.)

My bet: You will have a wonderful excursion on your own. Enjoy it. You are doing the same like most other guests: You will have a wonderful individual vacation with a great sailing adventure, together with some nice other people, who even look to realise their independent plans around the cruise.

We are back on star clipper this week, and I guess what I would say is it will be possible to do your private cruises, but the star clipper ones have been super. Of course I realise you might be looking for something different. For me I appreciate the convenience and peace of mind, no worries getting back to the ship. No hard selling at aunties gift shop and itinaries that move along at a good.pace. I think you have cruise director Peter on flyer and he gives superb port talks, lots of info and history. 

After the pandemic break it has been an absolute pleasure to return to the clipper and already looking to book again! 

9 hours ago, Diddn said:

Let's try a bit of math...

Maximum capacity is 166 guests, while usually (especially this year) mostly are 130 - 140 guests are on board. After about 15 cruises with Star Clippers, in my experience about 20 % are travelling in organised groups or with family members or friends. 110 guests are remaining.

Overall, about 30 % are native english speaking guests, interested on english narrated tours. Maybe a bit more on your cruise, and maybe some of other mother tongues could be interested. So, a maximum of 50 people are left.

Back-2-back-cruisers are not much (last cruise we had 2 on board, the only time we went B2B we were 3 in total). Then there are only 4 - 6 people left. That are 2 - 3 couples, and you are already one of them. And this is very optimistic counting. It is more likely that you will be the only native english speaking couple doing these two cruises B2B.

The stop in Athens inbetween is ideal for sightseeing in Athens to avoid an additional night at pre- or post-cruise-stays. I will bet none of all the B2B-cruisers is interested to spend this day out of Athens.

And guests who will board the ship at 4 p. m., if they are already in Athens and not flying in the same day, will surely not bring their luggage early in the morning to the port, just to leave Athens for that day. They rather want to have a relaxed breakfast at their hotel, strolling a bit around in Plaka or in the Acropolis area, having a light greek lunch, packing their suitcases and going to reach the boarding of the ship just in time. No chance to attract them. (By the way. We did so in June, and during our stroll through Plaka, we randomly met the only four B2B-cruisers from the cruise before and our cruise in a street café - we recognised them by their shirts and bags. Yes, the sloop shop has nice shirts... 😉 )

People whose cruise ends and leave the ship at that day are heading to the airport or to their booked hotel, at least to store their luggage there to have their hands free for sightseeing. (That may even be the reasons for you not to organise this specific excursion on the day of embarcation or debarcation.)

My bet: You will have a wonderful excursion on your own. Enjoy it. You are doing the same like most other guests: You will have a wonderful individual vacation with a great sailing adventure, together with some nice other people, who even look to realise their independent plans around the cruise.

Thanks for the detailed reply.  You are are telling me in detail what I guess I sort of figured out by myself.  I was just hoping that someone would tell me that I was wrong.  As you said - I guess that I have to figure out what the private tours are worth to me.

As an aside.  As these will be my 1st Clipper cruises, is there anything special beside the fact that I will have a wonderful time that I should know about the ships or cruises that might not be obvious.

DON

Make sure you have all your embarkation paperwork filled out and your COVID test sorted and to hand when you reach port to get on. Once that is cleared your passport is exchanged for your key and card and after that all is simple! Your luggage will be taken to your room for you so don't out your paperwork in there.