Baltic Cruise

NJGRANNY

I didn't phrase my question right. I meant when you are in a port, does NCL have shuttles which go into the town.

I know from reading the boards that other cruise lines do.

Unless things have changed in a few years, no. In a few of the ports like Helsinki and Stockholm there was local transportation available at the pier but nothing set up by NCL for free. They do, however, have shuttles you can pay for like to Tivoli Garden in Copenhagen. If you stop in Warnemunde, you're on your own especially if you want to go to Berlin. In Russia, you're on your own unless you book their excursion. So...no, you're on your own unless you book an NCL excursion.

On our Baltic cruise on the Jewel last summer we had booked shore excursions on most of the days, but I do know for certain that in Copenhagen there was a free shuttle to Tivoli Gardens, and in Helsinki the shuttle was $8 US return to the downtown area.

From The Freestyle Daily August 25, 2005

Oslo, Norway

"A limited number of taxis and buses are available on the poer. It will cost approx. NOK 35-50 to the city center by taxi"

From The Freestyle Daily August 28, 2005

St. Petersburg, Russia

"The city center is approximately 15 kilometres from the port.It is not recommended that passengers use the bus or tram system in Russia"

From the Freestyle Daily August 30, 2005

Tallinn, Estonia

"Shuttle service is USD$4 one way or USD$8 round trip. The shuttle will be going back and forth every 15-20 minutes from the pier to drop off/pick up point.":)

NJGRANNY

Of all the Baltic ports we visited my favourite was Copenhagen. It was unfortunate for us that we were only there for the day. I noticed on the intinerary for the Dream, you we be staying overnight in Copenhagen. Tivoli Gardens will be FABULOUS in the evening all lit up. We will definitely visit there again some day-have a few other places to visit first. Have fun.:) :)

I hope you do a big review when you return. I was wanting to do this one this year but already have an Alaskan cruise and a 18 day Germany land trip booked so I couldn't fit it in.

I wish I knew which ship they are going to use next year as I'm leaning towards doing the last Baltic cruise and the repositioning cruise. On the Dream this year, that would have put me back in Houston 29 days after getting on the ship.

We've done the Baltic twice, on the Norwegian Dream 5-99, and last year, August, on Oceania's Regatta.

Wonderful trip both times, with the Kiel Canal being a true highlight twice! Beautiful part of Germany.

Very port intensive cruise, perhaps not as relaxing as some, but again, a great trip.

We did the Baltic cruise on the Dream in 2002.

Tallinn - walked to city center

Helsinki - shuttle, but we had to dock somewhere different(I remember the captain being quite irritated about it). If we had docked where we were originally scheduled, we could've walked.

Oslo - walked to city-center

Stockholm - walked to city-center

St. Petersburg - ship excursions

Copenhagen - hop-on/hop-off bus from dock which was a great option. Approx. $15 US per adult and stopped and visited everywhere we wanted to go. Ticket was good for 24 hours.

We walked to most places and we're not particularly athletic and traveling with two children, then ages 8 and 4.

Enjoy your trip - ours was a near-perfect experience.

These info are very useful. I will be on the Dream for the May 11 Baltic Cruise. We are looking at the ship's shore excursions, but think that it is very expensive for tours that we can do "by ourselves"...

Have anybody done some of the NCL tours in St.Petersbourg?

We did two ship excursions in St. Petersburg- Hermitage one day and Peterhof the next. Both were great, although we ducked out of Peterhof at the beginning of the tour and spent the entire time enjoying the grounds/fountains. A market was set up in the parking lot at Peterhof and some vendors were in the square outside the Hermitage so we were able to shop a little.

We were on the Jewel this past summer. There were many excursions to chose from. This is what we did.

OLSO, NORWAY

Oslo Art and Culture

Visit to Vigeland Sculpture Park,Hadeland Glassworks Factory, Lunch and The Viking Ship Museum

HELSINKI, FINLAND

Took the shuttle to downtown. Maps were available at the pier. We walked to all the main attractions such as Church in the Rock, Market Square, Uspenski Cathedral

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

Day 1

Catherine's Palace, Lunch, The Hermitage

Day 2

Through the Eyes of the Russian People

Ride on the metro,Marketplace, and vodka tasting

TALLINN, ESTONIA

Historic Walking Tour

WARNEMUNDE,GERMANY

Bus to Rostock

Historic walking tour, Rostock University, St. Mary's Church, Tour Beer factory, beer tasting

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

Free shuttle to Tivoli Gardens

Walked 8 miles seeing main attractions. Had an excellent map.

Helsinki and Copenhagen were very easy to do on our own. I don't know what the options will be for the Dream, but if you have any questions about the particulars from 2005 ask away.

From Baltic Shore Excursions 2005

"Feel like a Russian yourself this afternoon and try to see St. Petersburg through the eyes of the inhabitants. While touring palatial St. Petersburg, one is dazzled by the beauty of its palaces, catherdrals and parks, but the city offers more than this. You will visit the metro's stunning stations intended by Stalin to be the palaces for the people. The best Soviet architects wereemployed to design St. Petersburg's metro stations. Thousands of tons od marble, granite and limestone wee used to face the walls, and sculptures, mosacics and chandeliers were commissioned from leading artists. The first line opened in 1955 is the most fascinating. You will be shown 2 stations of this line and take a short ride on the train. A peek at St. Petersburgmarkets and food stores provides an intriguing insight to local life. Many locals shop for food in the Kuznechny market which sells fruit, vegetables, fresh meat and fish, delicious homemade cottage cheese and wonderful natural honey. Sellers in the market come from all over the former Soviet Union and one can witness quite a variety of nationalities there and enjoy the friendly attitudes. One of the most reputable delicatessan stores in the city is called Elyseev's and it's the best place for locals to buy caviar and vodka. It is located in Nevsky Prospect in one of the most opulent modern buildings constructed at the turn of the 20th century. The store has been recently renovated as well as the area around it. One of the side streets has become an attractive walking area and at the end of it you can see one of the best apartment houses recently built in the city.The tour will terminate at The Restaurant, a trendy and stylish restaurant decorated in classical minimalist style. It specializes in Russian food and hospitality and is knownfor its home made vodkas. You will be treated to a variety of vodkas and the traditonal Russian condiments served to compliment this famous Russian drink. After the vodka sampling and relaxing in the restaurant you will be shown to your coach for the return transfer to your ship. Note: This tour is not recommended for persons with walking difficulties. There are long and steep escalators to reach metro stations."

A word of caution--DO NOT try to take any photos or video in the metro. There are guards everywhere waiting to confiscate your camera. (or try giving your camera to your child who will take a couple of pictures without the flash when nobody's looking). The escalators are VERY steep, but the experience is unforgetable.

Also buy the cranberry vodka. It comes in a souvenir bottle with beautiful etchings of St. Petersburg.

Archived