Transpacific Brisbane to Seattle April 13, 2023

Mamacat6

On 1/31/2023 at 8:22 PM, trans man said:

We're flying Delta out of Orlando to LAX and then connecting to Sydney, again on Delta.  Then from Sydney to Brisbane on Quantas.  A long slog but worth it.

We locked out.   Orlando to SFO.  2 hours layover then 13 hours to Brisbane.   Flights are both Delta. 

• Like 2

Hello to everyone going on this cruise! I am sorry for the last post that was put on here, I hit the wrong  button. I need the E mail that was sent back in the end of Nov. or the first part of Dec. stating that we need travel ins. to go on the cruise. Please if anyone has it please post it ! THANKS to all,  41 more days!

Plans are pretty well set for the trip, and things are mostly already paid for. I cancelled my budget hotel in Brisbane and booked an airbnb instead. Set up a cruise package on my phone through at&t that gives me unlimited calling and texting with a little bit of data at sea. Decided that it was time to replace my mask and snorkel, they are pretty beat up after 8 years of use, plus my eye prescription has changed. And I booked a ticket to see Hamilton at QPAC in Brisbane on Sunday. Should be fun! 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 5:18 AM, EngIceDave said:

Thought of some very important questions...

Is Australian Pepsi like American Pepsi?

Do they have Starry of Sierra Mist? Is it Australian or American? Can you tell or care?

What are Australian bagels like?

Does everyone talk funny?

If I find a kangaroo, can I keep it? Can I bring it on-board? Can I have a service kangaroo on-board?

Does the toilet really flush the other direction?

What exactly is "Australian food?"

Just now, kaykayozzie said:

Oh my goodness. I'm assuming you are joking; otherwise you have a culture shock ahead of you. We have millions of kangaroos but you can't keep one. You can pat it if you find one though. Unless you are out in open country you are unlikely to see one except in the zoo. Have fun trying. Kay

17 hours ago, zashi99 said:

Plans are pretty well set for the trip, and things are mostly already paid for. I cancelled my budget hotel in Brisbane and booked an airbnb instead. Set up a cruise package on my phone through at&t that gives me unlimited calling and texting with a little bit of data at sea. Decided that it was time to replace my mask and snorkel, they are pretty beat up after 8 years of use, plus my eye prescription has changed. And I booked a ticket to see Hamilton at QPAC in Brisbane on Sunday. Should be fun! 

I also cancelled my first hotel since i noticed the free hotel shuttle was in only one direction. Grabbed the hotel right at the airport. What are people using for transportation from the airport to the ship? 

37 minutes ago, mainecruisefan said:

I also cancelled my first hotel since i noticed the free hotel shuttle was in only one direction. Grabbed the hotel right at the airport. What are people using for transportation from the airport to the ship? 

Good question. I have had no luck figuring out how I’m getting from the car rental place at the airport to the ship. I figure I have 5 days in Brisbane; I should be able to find a way then. Let us know if you get any info. 

4 hours ago, zashi99 said:

Good question. I have had no luck figuring out how I’m getting from the car rental place at the airport to the ship. I figure I have 5 days in Brisbane; I should be able to find a way then. Let us know if you get any info. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5090

Looking at google maps it appears to be pretty close. I guess we will take an uber (I really don't like taxi drivers)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mainecruisefan said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5090

Looking at google maps it appears to be pretty close. I guess we will take an uber (I really don't like taxi drivers)

There is Uber in Australia

and here's the link to Uber in Brisbane - https://www.uber.com/global/en/cities/brisbane/

That's our plan. We'll just Uber to hotel and then port in the morning.

Now, if you see these people, run....they're terrible, terrible people 

BC1E30E6-7B36-4E8D-8991-8CCF1707B4AE_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b0ef3431bec36371f127dd5cf4d504f8.jpeg

(Wife and I in San Juan last month)

On 2/26/2023 at 5:18 AM, EngIceDave said:

Thought of some very important questions...

Is Australian Pepsi like American Pepsi?

Do they have Starry of Sierra Mist? Is it Australian or American? Can you tell or care?

What are Australian bagels like?

Does everyone talk funny?

If I find a kangaroo, can I keep it? Can I bring it on-board? Can I have a service kangaroo on-board?

Does the toilet really flush the other direction?

What exactly is "Australian food?"

I wouldn't be worrying about the roos, it's the deadly drop bears you need to watch out for!

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, EngIceDave said:

I realized today that the Australian Formula 1 Gran Prix will be in Melbourne that same weekend. Whole thing might be like a national holiday or something, even though it's in Melbourne. May make bars and pubs very busy

The Grand Prix runs from March 30th to April 2nd.  It's not a national holiday - but if you are anywhere near Albert Park lake, or are staying in the CBD you are right, there will be lots of people around.  It will be noisy too - when races are running the sound travels across the lake and the nearby bay, you will hear the noise from a fair distance away (think dozens of very loud angry mosquitoes).

Just now, EngIceDave said:

We can keep those?

If you survive the encounter, you can try but the folks at Quarantine might stop you....

• Haha 1

Alan and Roseann here. been booked for awhile but was unable to get on CC. We're here now. Hay Mare2657, I grew up in Tavares. Which town are you in? We did the crossing to Sydney last September for 23 days (this one from Brisban is shorter) ha-ha. Will be flying out of Tampa to SFO, then to Brisban, with a couple days before the cruise.  We got our insurance from Allianz through AAA. Are we going to do something about meeting once on board? Looking forward to meeting y'all. They always have lots of trivia and lecturers, and I hope they put together a guest choir this trip.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, Fredette said:

The Grand Prix runs from March 30th to April 2nd.  It's not a national holiday - but if you are anywhere near Albert Park lake, or are staying in the CBD you are right, there will be lots of people around.  It will be noisy too - when races are running the sound travels across the lake and the nearby bay, you will hear the noise from a fair distance away (think dozens of very loud angry mosquitoes).

If you survive the encounter, you can try but the folks at Quarantine might stop you....

Yes, they WILL stop you. No livestock allowed.  But you can take a stuffed plush one...

I checked the distance and it will take 10 minutes from airport to cruise terminal. It's all out of the city centre so should be quiet. I'm taking a taxi. My flight from Canberra arrives in Brisbane at 11am. Let's hope my luggage arrives with me. I think we should meet on the second afternoon. at 5pm.. But where on the ship?

Kay

On 3/2/2023 at 7:05 PM, EngIceDave said:

There is Uber in Australia

and here's the link to Uber in Brisbane - https://www.uber.com/global/en/cities/brisbane/

That's our plan. We'll just Uber to hotel and then port in the morning.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:47 PM, mainecruisefan said:

I figure we will also just Uber to our hotel and then Uber to the cruise ship. We cancelled our first hotel too. We were close to the airport, but decided to stay right downtown so we can get a little taste of Brisbane. 

Susie and Sean