Transpacific Brisbane to Seattle April 13, 2023

Mamacat6

13 minutes ago, Suz&Sean said:

We fly Hawaii to Brisbane on Jet and it is one 44 lb checked and one 22 lb carryon + purse total I think (roughly). That's going to be hard. We fly Southwest to Hawaii and it's two 50 lb. checked and 2 carryons of any weight. 

I agree that it is tough. I actually bought a new bag to check to meet the slightly smaller requirements. I also plan to wear multiple sets of clothes again to be sure i can meet the requirements. It is quite inconvenient.

3 hours ago, mainecruisefan said:

I agree that it is tough. I actually bought a new bag to check to meet the slightly smaller requirements. I also plan to wear multiple sets of clothes again to be sure i can meet the requirements. It is quite inconvenient.

Good thing is, it's mostly warm weather (lighter) clothes. 

Shorts, sandals, t-shirt, robe

image.thumb.png.86158ceffc8df2f835668bc105f65ed1.png

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:55 PM, poolmwv said:

Where do you live in Kansas City? My wife used to live there in the north land about 30 years ago. We lived in mid Missouri most of the time and recently moved to St. Louis about a year and a half ago.

We live in midtown just north of the Nelson Atkins. We've only been here about 10 years from Indiana but we love it . They have built a streetcar that runs from the River market to Union station and they are now expanding it down to past the plaza so we will be a couple of blocks from the streetcar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suz&Sean said:

We live in midtown just north of the Nelson Atkins. We've only been here about 10 years from Indiana but we love it . They have built a streetcar that runs from the River market to Union station and they are now expanding it down to past the plaza so we will be a couple of blocks from the streetcar.

Your Harrah's is terrible

The Ameristar is nice and huge

30 minutes ago, Suz&Sean said:

Haven't been to Ameristar. Going to have to check it out.

It's nice. Huge high ceiling, newer games, brighter.

Harrah's felt dark, games were old.

I know it has a Gordon Ramsey steak or something now.

23 hours ago, mainecruisefan said:

I can only speak about virgin australia in 2019. I was a delta diamond which gave me status on VAu at that time. They checked extra checked bags for free.

That said, they weighed my carry on which was over weight and over sized. I went into the bathroom and put on 3 sets of clothes. 

Now underweight and under max size, I was able to board the plane from SYD to Gold coast airport.

This time I will be more careful as i should have shoved stuff in my checked bags last time.

Travel light. I never have more than 13 kilos. I f I can't carry it, it doesn't come. It will be Autumn, the best time of the year. We have just had a heat wave. the sea is warm and lovely. We will be long gone before Australia cools off. Aussies don't dress up much. Take it easy. Kay

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kaykayozzie said:

Travel light. I never have more than 13 kilos. I f I can't carry it, it doesn't come. It will be Autumn, the best time of the year. We have just had a heat wave. the sea is warm and lovely. We will be long gone before Australia cools off. Aussies don't dress up much. Take it easy. Kay

Thank you and from my research, seems like the only cool/cold places will be onboard the ship.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 8:55 PM, ptcflyer said:

For those with US Frequent Flyer Points..... Here is my strategy to get from ATL to Brisbane.   Booked Southwest Airlines with points and companion pass.....    18,000 points for two of us to Hawaii.     And then I booked Jetstar for 2 tickets Plus Bags for about $1,000.      All in for 9000 Southwest points and $500 per person.    I decided to stay in HNL for an overnight to break up the trip.   Planning on spending a few days in 'Brisbane' before boarding.    Not happy about the "Covid" restrictions.   Still trying to figure out "insurance".  

That is exactly what we are doing (albeit from KC). Southwest to Hawaii, stay the night (we have a place we stay cheap and near the beach and Sean my DH gets to surf) then Jetstar to Brisbane and stay a couple of days before the cruise. I think your plans made me reevaluate our flights so I cancelled our Air Canada flights and rebooked like this. Saved us a good $800 or more and we get to overnight in Waikiki. We do have $2600 credit with air Canada now so we will have to figure out somewhere in Canada to go. Our paths may cross on the way there.

50 minutes ago, Suz&Sean said:

That is exactly what we are doing (albeit from KC). Southwest to Hawaii, stay the night (we have a place we stay cheap and near the beach and Sean my DH gets to surf) then Jetstar to Brisbane and stay a couple of days before the cruise. I think your plans made me reevaluate our flights so I cancelled our Air Canada flights and rebooked like this. Saved us a good $800 or more and we get to overnight in Waikiki. We do have $2600 credit with air Canada now so we will have to figure out somewhere in Canada to go. Our paths may cross on the way there.

Hi,

Seems like there will be a few of us scrambling to get on the 8.30am Jetstar flight!

(after having overnighted in HNL) I am by the airport to use the shuttle. 

Then on to either SYD or BNE. I chose SYD for the rest. I think the BNE onward flight has a 3hr layover? Plus haven't been to SYD. Look forward to meeting you.

(yes, I was surprised at the 44lbs, and less than average food choices! I guess at $300, you pay for "economy")

Jetstar seems like a Pacific version of EasyJet.  :(

Easyjet's business plan is to be wildly super strict on bag size and weight....that's how they get you. Another thing, don't be late, not one second. These super cheap overseas airlines' computer systems shut down the flight to the second of the end of check in time. No grace, no leeway. Have to rebook.

Not trying to panic anyone, but I had never heard of Jetstar so I went and looked at their reviews and polices and it reminded me of EasyJet. Be careful to not be late at all and not exceed any of the baggage stuff.

• Like 1

Well, we're two weeks out....we have a week in Perth prior to the cruise.

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous, and we have done a lot of travel, domestic and Europe.

But this is a long way away and gone for a long time. We've never done a trip this long, much less a 22 day cruise. 

5 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Well, we're two weeks out....we have a week in Perth prior to the cruise.

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous, and we have done a lot of travel, domestic and Europe.

But this is a long way away and gone for a long time. We've never done a trip this long, much less a 22 day cruise. 

Jetstar is the El Cheapo of Qantas. I missed a domestic flight with them by five minutes. No dice. Then  their flight next day was delayed and I missed my connection. Too bad so sad. I did a 3.5 month trip once. That was a challenge. This time I'm away 8 weeks. At least I only fly one way[home]Kay

7 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Jetstar seems like a Pacific version of EasyJet.  😞

Easyjet's business plan is to be wildly super strict on bag size and weight....that's how they get you. Another thing, don't be late, not one second. These super cheap overseas airlines' computer systems shut down the flight to the second of the end of check in time. No grace, no leeway. Have to rebook.

Not trying to panic anyone, but I had never heard of Jetstar so I went and looked at their reviews and polices and it reminded me of EasyJet. Be careful to not be late at all and not exceed any of the baggage stuff.

Jetstar are really strict on baggage and will weigh your carry on.  Never been weighed with Qantas or Virgin.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:47 PM, BlessedAgain said:

We have been in Hawaii since the middle of February.  We are flying to Sydney on 3/25 to take a cruise to New Zealand.  We return to Sydney on 4/7.  I've been trying to figure out how to spend the 6 days before the 2nd cruise.  Trying to figure out flights to Brisbane with all our luggage....yikes!   Are Australian airlines fussy about the weight of carryon luggage?  Are you allowed to have a roller board and a backpack as a personal item?   

Depends on the airline.  Jetstar will weigh your carry on - it has to be less than 7 kilos  which includes the small case in the overhead and any small bag that you put under the seat (handbag).  You are only allowed two items and if you have more one of them will need to be checked.  They will charge you approx $60 AUD to check your bag if you are overweight or have more than two items (even if they all are under 7 kilo combined).  Virgin and Qantas are much more flexible.  The check in system is automated and so is the bag drop for your checked luggage.  You cannot be late or the system will reject you.  Check with the airline that you book with how long you have before the flight to bag drop close.  They all differ and range from 1 hour to 1/2 before the flight.  

I must mention that on Jetstar you can purchase extra cabin allowance to 14 kilos but it must still be two items.

Edited by Janet&Carl
additional information added
  • Like 1

Hi ya'll!  I just booked this cruise about a week ago and I am so excited!  This will be my longest cruise to date.  I was disappointed that all the excursions in Tahiti were booked, other than watching the sunset which I can do from the boat, lol.  I was happy to get an exit row seat on my 14.5 flight into Auckland, considering all the good seats were gone.  Too bad on the weight restrictions because I do not check anything!  Figured, well they give you a robe so I'll use it and may not even bother tying it by day 8!  Just Kidding!!!  I did see someone post a question about getting an internet discount along with booking your excursions and yes it does work.  Just need to put in your discount code that appears when you click on internet plans and then add all of your excursions to your cart and check out.  I am so hoping the internet works well so that I can google meet my kiddos back at home.  24 more days!!!

On 12/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, bantry said:

Hi everyone.  I am booked on this cruise and going solo.  I will be flying into Sydney on April 3, spending a few days there, then flying to New Zealand for a week.  I plan on renting a car and driving from Auckland to Christchurch and seeing all the sites along the way.  This will be my first time in Australia and New Zealand, and I am very excited, though not looking forward to the long plane ride.

I just got back a few weeks ago from the Celebration transatlantic which was the longest cruise I had been on to date. Hoping I don't get sick of my own company 🙂

Hi, I am going solo as well!  This will be my first cruise going solo.  I got offered a great cruise deal that I could not pass up and no family or friends were able to take off with me.  Although, I did not get this deal until a week ago, lol.  I am hoping to meet new friends and not get sick of my own company as well!  

Hello.....How can you book something like this on such short notice?

LOL

Just FYI all, I plan to write a trip report on this cruise, I encourage all of you to join and participate with your thoughts and opinions.

The information on Luminosa is very limited, so this may help a few out in the future

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Hello.....How can you book something like this on such short notice?

LOL

Just FYI all, I plan to write a trip report on this cruise, I encourage all of you to join and participate with your thoughts and opinions.

The information on Luminosa is very limited, so this may help a few out in the future

The timing was just right for me to take off that amount of time and go for it.  I do have to thank my carnvial cruise planner in finding my flights and helping me get everything in order quickly.  My dad introduced me to cruising in 2016 and I loved it!  I was able to go on 4 cruises with him, the last one was with his ashes this past August to Bermuda.  I wasn't sure if I would want to cruise again until this offer came and I think it will be a form of therapy for me.  

Also, I have learned loads from this sweet couple, Rob & Ali, that have been on this ship several times since it's debut last fall that showcase several videos on youtube and on their website, robandali.net.  

On 12/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, bantry said:

Hi everyone.  I am booked on this cruise and going solo.  I will be flying into Sydney on April 3, spending a few days there, then flying to New Zealand for a week.  I plan on renting a car and driving from Auckland to Christchurch and seeing all the sites along the way.  This will be my first time in Australia and New Zealand, and I am very excited, though not looking forward to the long plane ride.

I just got back a few weeks ago from the Celebration transatlantic which was the longest cruise I had been on to date. Hoping I don't get sick of my own company 🙂

Hi, I am going solo as well!  This will be my first cruise going solo.  I got offered a great cruise deal that I could not pass up and no family or friends were able to take off with me.  Although, I did not get this deal until a week ago, lol.  I am hoping to meet new friends and not get sick of my own company as well!  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 12:14 AM, Suz&Sean said:

West Port area is a fun area. It’s exciting to hear that Kansas City is finding a way to connect these highlight areas of the city. Hopefully we will meet on board! We are pretty easy to find because my husband usually rides a little travelscoot.

15 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Jetstar are really strict on baggage and will weigh your carry on.  Never been weighed with Qantas or Virgin.

Will they weigh your jacket with stuff in the pockets?

On 2/20/2023 at 7:49 AM, Eliot Ness said:

I'm starting to get confused on what dates we're going to be at the ports.  Carnival shows us crossing the date line on Thursday April 20, then in Tahiti the next day on Friday April 21.  Isn't there a date change crossing the date line? 

Plugging in our cruise dates into Shore Excursions:

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/?source=Adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXTYYzpL39I3nDFTCeb-aXFyNUO1X37JcAIVBYUM63mpQ2olwrQ38roaAq8oEALw_wcB

They show us repeating April 20, which throws off scheduling private excursions.  They also have Noumea on the 15th instead of the 16th and Suva on the 17th instead of the 18th.  This really makes booking private excursions a hassle.  I've already booked Noumea and Suva with Viator, but now I'm concerned that I've booked the wrong dates.  Any ideas on this? 

I would either check with shore excursion Group or download Shipmate, which uses the shore excursion group to book excursions. Plugging in the dates on the shore excursion group website seems to produce inaccurate results. It calls it a 20 day cruise arriving May 3.  Shipmate calls it a 22 day cruise.

logically, we are sleeping through most of the time change. To give a brief example, we will be getting an extra hour of sleep and resetting back on the ship as opposed to “traveling to the future”.

(Making up dates and times)

Ships time vs “real time”

20th 8:00 pm vs 21st midnight in Brisbane 

in 4 hours we’ll call it the 20th again and keep sleeping away the difference. 

This is obviously a simplified explanation, but I know we are arriving in Seattle on the fourth so shore excursion group has something messed up.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ames77 said:

Hi ya'll!  I just booked this cruise about a week ago and I am so excited!  This will be my longest cruise to date.  I was disappointed that all the excursions in Tahiti were booked, other than watching the sunset which I can do from the boat, lol.  I was happy to get an exit row seat on my 14.5 flight into Auckland, considering all the good seats were gone.  Too bad on the weight restrictions because I do not check anything!  Figured, well they give you a robe so I'll use it and may not even bother tying it by day 8!  Just Kidding!!!  I did see someone post a question about getting an internet discount along with booking your excursions and yes it does work.  Just need to put in your discount code that appears when you click on internet plans and then add all of your excursions to your cart and check out.  I am so hoping the internet works well so that I can google meet my kiddos back at home.  24 more days!!!

Hi! This is our first çruise  pretty much anywhere in the Pacific. We've been to Hawaii a lot but that is it. Too bad we don't go closer to American Samoa, we have some family there. Our cat sitter said all she asks is that we get internet so we can keep in touch. We have no excursions set up. I am so confused with that. We need something non-strenous not too early in the morning and not too long. Just a drive around the islands, maybe a little beach time for my husband would be fine but I am a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have anything set up like that we could check out? I will be glad when we are on the ship!

• Like 1

Hello.....we (me) booked all of our excursions through Carnival EXCEPT our "Unique Tahiti Full Day Tour" through Unique Tahiti. Good reviews and you pay after the tour. I wanted to make sure we saw the entire island, including the big wave surf mecca Teahupoo...even if surf is off, be cool to have seen it. Have a relation.

BTW - Strongly recommend the app Tripit 

You take all your email reservations and simply forward them to your account and it automatically indexes it for you, online and on-phone, and shows you conflicts and even keeps Covid travel stuff up to date. I use the pro version, that's me. But it will help you keep track of all the reservations and more in one place.

Basically like this

image.thumb.png.b04ac1ca45b2d58b348be4a762d3a4ff.png

All your flights, hotel, restaurant....

Not an ad, have nothing to do with them, just a user and for this trip a lot of help