Transpacific Brisbane to Seattle April 13, 2023

Mamacat6

23 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Well, we're two weeks out....we have a week in Perth prior to the cruise.

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous, and we have done a lot of travel, domestic and Europe.

But this is a long way away and gone for a long time. We've never done a trip this long, much less a 22 day cruise. 

We are a bit nervous too. We've been on longish cruises, but the logistics of this one seems more confusing. And especially after the pandemic we haven't really even been leaving the house

• Like 1

Just now, Suz&Sean said:

We are a bit nervous too. We've been on longish cruises, but the logistics of this one seems more confusing. And especially after the pandemic we haven't really even been leaving the house

I have done more travel than my wife post-covid, but we have done two cruises since.

This just feels like going to the dark side of the moon or something. I think I am more nervous than she is, because she knows I plan it all to make is as comfy as possible for her and I. 

1 hour ago, poolmwv said:

West Port area is a fun area. It’s exciting to hear that Kansas City is finding a way to connect these highlight areas of the city. Hopefully we will meet on board! We are pretty easy to find because my husband usually rides a little travelscoot.

I saw in your picture that you have a ukulele. Are you bringing it? My husband is bringing his little travel guitar so maybe there's a Cruise critic sing-along due! He likes to have it to practice. It weighs 5 lbs which is a lot when trying to pare down for Jetstar. But just having it calms his nerves. I wonder if Jetstar would let him have it as carry on. It's not too big but I don't know what their size rules are for odd shaped things.

Just now, Suz&Sean said:

I saw in your picture that you have a ukulele. Are you bringing it? My husband is bringing his little travel guitar so maybe there's a Cruise critic sing-along due! He likes to have it to practice. It weighs 5 lbs which is a lot when trying to pare down for Jetstar. But just having it calms his nerves. I wonder if Jetstar would let him have it as carry on. It's not too big but I don't know what their size rules are for odd shaped things.

Typically airlines will allow instruments that will fit in the bin although it will count as a carry on. We kind of cheated by calling them personal items since we had a carry on. But yes, we are bringing our ukuleles. We are joining Bribie Jammin on Wednesday afternoon. That’s our great fun - joining local ukulele groups when we travel. 

Just now, Suz&Sean said:

Sean likes to surf but on the little 3 or 4 footers . This is terrifying!

I did for a bit, living in Cocoa Beach, you have to, but my love is motocross and there's always been a relation between them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Suz&Sean said:

Will they weigh your jacket with stuff in the pockets?

There are ways and means that they don't bother about.  

wear everything - stuff the pockets - weigh your bags then repack 😉

If there are two of you get the other to hold your gear go get weighed then swap 😉

• Thanks 1

Quite a few people have mentioned that they are travelling solo.  A travel mate is setting up a meet and greet for solo people to meet up and maybe find people to quiz with or have dinner with.  We did this last year on the Transatlantic from Seattle to Sydney.  We always managed a table for 8 - 10 at dinner.  It was really pleasant.  So if you want some people to chat with and care to join us we are getting together at the Red Frog Pub at 3 pm on Friday (first sea day).  See you there !

On 3/12/2023 at 8:05 AM, Dsaar50 said:

Hi Catherine,

I’m up for some cards! Happy to learn new ones too. Anyone up for cribbage or Euchre? 

Maybe those interested meet day 3 (Saturday)? Anytime but early or during bingo.

Duane 

Duane, I have only play Euchre online never with real card’s but interested in trying. Some suggestions a meet and greet for cards I believe I’ll check the date it’s on here somewhere 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, poolmwv said:

Where do you live in Kansas City? My wife used to live there in the north land about 30 years ago. We lived in mid Missouri most of the time and recently moved to St. Louis about a year and a half ago.

I live in Kansas City along time ago for about eight years back in the 70s through 1980 and then we moved to Arizona. I am a diehard Toussaint and Royals fan and I am so happy the Chiefs won the Super Bowl again this year and you’ll see me running around in my tea scare. I’m sure my name is Catherine  I love to play cards and, I look forward to meet you guys. I am a solo cruiser this cruise. You can catch me on messenger under Catherine Lee.

20 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

There are ways and means that they don't bother about.  

wear everything - stuff the pockets - weigh your bags then repack 😉

If there are two of you get the other to hold your gear go get weighed then swap 😉

I can honestly say I’ve never been weighed. I’ve had my bags weighed, but my body has never been weighed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruisin Cathy AZ said:

Duane, I have only play Euchre online never with real card’s but interested in trying. Some suggestions a meet and greet for cards I believe I’ll check the date it’s on here somewhere 

It's been awhile but we love Euchre. You can't be from Indiana if you don't play Euchre! Another fun card game we used to play is Hand and Foot. I don't remember the rules but it just takes regular cards and it is a lot of fun. Has anyone else played it?

5 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Quite a few people have mentioned that they are travelling solo.  A travel mate is setting up a meet and greet for solo people to meet up and maybe find people to quiz with or have dinner with.  We did this last year on the Transatlantic from Seattle to Sydney.  We always managed a table for 8 - 10 at dinner.  It was really pleasant.  So if you want some people to chat with and care to join us we are getting together at the Red Frog Pub at 3 pm on Friday (first sea day).  See you there !

Yay!  I will definitely be there!  I was hoping to find other's traveling alone to possibly join with for the dinners.  Looking forward to it!

There seem to be quite a few of us traveling solo, likely because it was totally affordable to go solo on this cruise. I’m looking forward to meeting y’all!  We are huge gamers - we play all kinds of board and card games. We host a monthly group in our home, usually play weekly with friends, and my husband and I play several times a week with each other. Normally when we cruise together, we bring an entire suitcase of games with us. Not doing that this time - though I may bring a couple of board games in my luggage, if there’s room. I play Spades, Cribbage and Euchre, and Mexican Train.  I’ve played Hand and Foot on the computer - I think it is a variation of Canasta. I would love to meet-up for games! We need to figure out how to be in easy contact with those interested in meeting up for various types of game play. I won’t have internet on the ship, but I will have unlimited texting on my phone, plus will sign up for chat on the Carnival Hub app, if we want to communicate that way. Lots of sea days = lots of potential play time.

Lynda from Foley

15 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Count me in. Kay

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 7:08 PM, EngIceDave said:

Well, we're two weeks out....we have a week in Perth prior to the cruise.

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous, and we have done a lot of travel, domestic and Europe.

But this is a long way away and gone for a long time. We've never done a trip this long, much less a 22 day cruise. 

Worry not.   I have been at sea for 180 days last year.   Viking World Cruise Plus a bunch of free Celebrity Cruises.   I always get high speed internet so I can work while sailing.    There are always plenty of activities... and it is shocking how smooth the sailing is 95% of the time.   They key is to be selective on the food.   Drinks lots of water.   Managing details at home can be challenging, and just plan that you are bound to forget something.    Internet with phone and ability to do bill pay fixes a lot of issues that might creep up.   It is helpful to have someone at home to triage incoming mail...to open and scan anything important you were not anticipating.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, baloothecat said:

Well technically it’s called an Electronic Travel Authority or ETA.

I just did my ETA. I had to download an app and it had to read my passport chip. It did cost $20AUD. Hardest part was getting the phone to actually read the chip. It is a good way to waste at least 15 minutes of time. Although the website said it could take 3 to 4 weeks to get a reply (heads up to procrastinators out there), I received my approval almost instantly upon payment.

• Like 1