Transpacific Brisbane to Seattle April 13, 2023

Mamacat6

1 hour ago, Suz&Sean said:

Budgies are parakeets for Americans. Are budgie smugglers very popular in Australia? My husband's dad in NZ wore them constantly.

They went totally out of fashion after our then Prime Minister Tony Abbott wore them. These days the blokes wear very well covering board shorts

37 minutes ago, kaykayozzie said:

They went totally out of fashion after our then Prime Minister Tony Abbott wore them. These days the blokes wear very well covering board shorts

Hi Kay,

Although you would remember (as an Antipodean) that they first appeared on (competitive) swimmers and lifeguards (as they did in the US) but lost favor in the US faster. 

Looking forward to meeting you as I am also a Southern Hemisphere colonist aka Commonwealther! 

3 hours ago, kaykayozzie said:

What is a wife beater? Yes thongs is our name for your flipflops. Your Speedos are called Budgie Smugglers here. Do you know our little Budgerigars [birds] Very popular cage birds, commonly known as budgies. Do you get the picture? the mind boggles. Kay

Wife beaters are white singlets. A stereotype is a man in an undershirt like that who drinks and beats his wife so they are called wife beaters.

3 hours ago, Suz&Sean said:

Wife beaters are white singlets. A stereotype is a man in an undershirt like that who drinks and beats his wife so they are called wife beaters.

They talk about British English, American English and Indian English but we don't get a mention. Thanks for that information. All Greek to me. Kay

5 hours ago, pipparh63 said:

Hi Kay,

Although you would remember (as an Antipodean) that they first appeared on (competitive) swimmers and lifeguards (as they did in the US) but lost favor in the US faster. 

Looking forward to meeting you as I am also a Southern Hemisphere colonist aka Commonwealther! 

So does CA stand for Canada or California?

On 3/24/2023 at 12:04 AM, Suz&Sean said:

I'm not allowed to post the link here but the name of the group is "OFFICIAL Carnival Luminosa Transpacific April 13. 2023" they have added several events and have a post listing what there is so far. First event:

Boarding Day Meet & Greet

Thursday, April 13, 2023

3:00 pm SHIP's TIME

Red Frog Rum Bar

Lido Deck 9

Before the Ship's Sail Away Party at 4:00 pm same deck

Let's Meet Fellow Group Cruisers! 

Wear Mardi Gras type beads any color, any style and get a raffle ticket to win a prize. 

You wear your beads and I'll bring name tags, raffle tickets, a prize, and a break the ice game, and pens. 

PLEASE BRING anything from your hometown for us to raffle off as prizes!! Shot glasses, chocolates, hats, t-shirts, anything with your state or country on it, etc.

EXTRA EVENT: Donate any amount at the Meet and Greet and we will donate it to St. Jude in the name of our Facebook Group at the ship's event "Dancing For St Jude".

All donations (cash only) will go into an envelope and the amounts will be written on the outside of the envelope. 

Join us when we make our group donation for Groove for St. Jude!!

Last year Halloween on Panorama, 196 of us wore beads throughout the cruise and our meet & greet party was a blast. We even raised $245 for St Jude! Let's beat that this cruise!

The coolest part was our Cruise Director called our donation out on the mic at the event and thanked the Facebook Group. It made it really special!

This is going to be really fun!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

I was trying to join this Facebook group for the past couple of weeks and my request had never been accepted 😏 I don’t think it’s fair! Not sure what admins of this group are thinking! However, I  was accepted to Australian Luminosa group and Australian people don’t discriminate. I’ve taken transpacific cruise last year on Splendor and had a blast. If any of the admins from this Facebook group  see this message, I hope you will reconsider and accept my request or reach out through this forum.

10 hours ago, kaykayozzie said:

They talk about British English, American English and Indian English but we don't get a mention. Thanks for that information. All Greek to me. Kay

California......ex-SAfrica

5 hours ago, hkalb said:

I was trying to join this Facebook group for the past couple of weeks and my request had never been accepted 😏 I don’t think it’s fair! Not sure what admins of this group are thinking! However, I  was accepted to Australian Luminosa group and Australian people don’t discriminate. I’ve taken transpacific cruise last year on Splendor and had a blast. If any of the admins from this Facebook group  see this message, I hope you will reconsider and accept my request or reach out through this forum.

I didn't join until a couple of months ago and go in right away. Maybe try deleting your request and then trying it again. Did you answer the questions that they have when you're trying to join? I don't know why they wouldn't let you in, but who knows the minds of admins.

15 hours ago, kaykayozzie said:

I think since there will probably (I'm guessing) be mostly Australians/NZers and Americans (US And Canada),  it will be funny seeing how much we don't understand each others slang 🙂 My husband is from New Zealand so he translates for me if needed. I am US.

1 minute ago, Suz&Sean said:

I think since there will probably (I'm guessing) be mostly Australians/NZers and Americans (US And Canada),  it will be funny seeing how much we don't understand each others slang 🙂 My husband is from New Zealand so he translates for me if needed. I am US.

more learning to be done. I love learning new things. Maybe that's why I travel. I had to translate for my husband; his Australian accent was so strong nobody could understand him. I also remember translating for some Chinese girls in France, and an English woman in Italy. Her efforts required her to yell louder if they didn't understand. Kay

46 minutes ago, kaykayozzie said:

more learning to be done. I love learning new things. Maybe that's why I travel. I had to translate for my husband; his Australian accent was so strong nobody could understand him. I also remember translating for some Chinese girls in France, and an English woman in Italy. Her efforts required her to yell louder if they didn't understand. Kay

I know, I love it too!

Hello fellow cruisers.

I know this is a long shot but I am looking for the person sailing in cabin 5326. My question being would you be willing to swap cabins so I can be next to my elderly mother.

My mum is 92, blind and nearly deaf. She is not so mobile these days and needs assistance. She is in cabin 5324 and I am in cabin 5328 - it would be so much easier to help her if we were next door to each other.

Let me know if this is you. Kind Regards Janet 
  • Like 1

Just checked in. Does anyone else notice that it has us getting to Seattle on May 5 instead of May 4. I double checked the itinerary on Carnival's own site and it says May 4. I just put the correct flight info for May 5 and will sort it out on board later if it is an issue. I really just plan to enjoy the cruise and the islands as we get there.... just a couple weeks before we cruise!

6 hours ago, mainecruisefan said:

Just checked in. Does anyone else notice that it has us getting to Seattle on May 5 instead of May 4. I double checked the itinerary on Carnival's own site and it says May 4. I just put the correct flight info for May 5 and will sort it out on board later if it is an issue. I really just plan to enjoy the cruise and the islands as we get there.... just a couple weeks before we cruise!

Yes was just checking in too and noticed that as well.  We have flights booked for May 4th and am expected back to work on the 5th.  I hope we can get some clarification on this in case we need to change flights etc.

I just spoke with someone at Carnival and they confirmed we will be in Seattle on May 4th at 0700. He couldn't give an explanation why that date isn't available to choose on the returning flights.  I guess I'll just put in the 5th as well.

8 hours ago, irie0518 said:

I just spoke with someone at Carnival and they confirmed we will be in Seattle on May 4th at 0700. He couldn't give an explanation why that date isn't available to choose on the returning flights.  I guess I'll just put in the 5th as well.

If this helps - I noticed that weeks ago when I was booking my return flight.

Who needs a return flight with the wrong date with change fees, etc

I had never seen this where dates didn't match ships' schedule.

Anyway, after a lot of calls, finally got an odd answer which I went with.

Carnival doesn't have provision for that day? Issue with flights or staff?
Then it put into question the shuttle buses which all have the 4th on website.

I booked for the 4th and for the shuttle - if all else fails, will get an Uber to airport.

I'd be careful with the 5th flights, unless you don't mind a night in Seattle!

On 3/27/2023 at 8:59 PM, EngIceDave said:

I booked through Unique Tahiti Tours

I've contacted Unique Tahiti, which seems to have some really nice tours, and have been very confused by the responses that I have gotten. I THINK that I'm going on the whole day tour, but I can't seem to get a good response as to where we are to meet up, and I still haven't gotten a confirmation email. One response said that the tour left from the Intercontinental at 8:30 am, (which I told them that I can't do), another response said that they would wait for me at the Intercontinental if I got a cab there, and the another response said that everyone on the whole day tour was from the ship and we would meet at the pier. I'm so confused. I'm giving them a couple of days to send me a confirmation, but I'm starting to wonder about this company. Do you have any idea where we are meeting?

On 3/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, Suz&Sean said:

I didn't join until a couple of months ago and go in right away. Maybe try deleting your request and then trying it again. Did you answer the questions that they have when you're trying to join? I don't know why they wouldn't let you in, but who knows the minds of admins.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, Suz&Sean said:

I submitted my request again today and was approved. Thank you for your helpful advice. My flight is on Monday, I am so excited 😆 

• Like 1