Travel from Genoa to Portofino

peppy3143

Hello. We have a group of eight that will be stopping in Genoa for one day.  We would like to go to Portofino in the morning and return to Genoa for the afternoon.  Can anyone recommend the best way for all of us to travel together for this excursion?  I have been unsuccessful in finding a tour company. Are there taxis at the port that would be able to accommodate all of us? Or can anyone suggest a tour guide who might be able to help?  Thanks in advance!

• 5 weeks later...

We hired a private guide and spent am in portofino and pm in genoa just a you suggested.    It was a great day.    Took train / ferry but with a local guide transport was easy.    Their website is gogenova.  

Edited by CCJack

My husband and I stayed at the Eight Hotel Portofino while traveling around Italy. Our travel agency offered several tours by local guides, thanks to which we explored the area and enjoyed the beauty of one of the most picturesque Mediterranean ports. In general, Italy is a great country for a family vacation. There are many beautiful places, delicious Italian cuisine, and friendly locals. I adore Italy and will take a course in one of the best Italian cooking schools, where I will get the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare dishes of my favorite cuisine. At https://www.avidtravelclub.com/travel/italian-cooking-school-experience-plus-rome/, I found detailed information about the upcoming courses.

Edited by AndreasRubio

• 3 months later...

I was looking at something similar and found on google maps that you can train from Genoa to Santa Margherita (which is close to Portifino) and then maybe just cab it to Portifino.

image.thumb.png.e13773b576fabf71f927b5f30f4eb059.png

• 2 weeks later...

You can take the train to Santa Margarita  as the previous person suggested.  Depending on time of year there is a ferry that goes to Portofino.  There is also a local bus that goes there.

don’t miss the steep walk up the hill to have the amazing view of the port from above.  Path is to the right. when you are facing the water.  There is a pay to visit old home up there that is totally worth it for the views alone!

You can also walk between SML and Portofino, but the ferry ride is both short and very scenic with wonderful views from the water of both SML and  Portofino, both arriving and departing and I highly recommend doing that.

Here is a recent thread you may find interesting to read:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2909465-portofino/#comment-64689598

Edited by edinburgher

You could very easily take the train from Genoa to Santa ML and the short ferry ride to Portofino, and return to Genoa the same way without needing a guide,  and it would be inexpenswive compared to the cost of a guide plus mini bus or two taxis for a group of 8.

You could also explore Genoa on your own in the afternoon (do a little online homework before leaving home) or hire a guide to give your group  a walking tour.