Excursions on P&O

allensmith81

Hi all,

im going to phone the accessibility desk on Monday but I just wondered if anyone has experience on accessible excursions on p&o?

Of the 6 places we stop they only have 1 accessible tour on the website and they want £130 per person!!!! it’s also not clear if the rest of our party can come with us or if we have to go alone.

I did also read somewhere else that we might get a list of accessible tours 4 weeks before we sail.. does anyone know if this is true?

we choose this cruise because as the newest ship in the p&o fleet it should have the best accessibility features (arvia) and the ports of call are all docked so no tenders.. my friend is wheelchair bound and not really able to get up and over stairs.

ports of call are:

la Corina

Palma de Mallorca

La spezia

Marseille

Barcelona 

cadiz

ive read the Europe guide but if anyone has any guidance for the post COVID world on accessibility tours for someone who is wheelchair bound.. ideally a little more reasonably priced than £130 pp lol

Is your friend using a push wheelchair, scooter, or power chair?  It’s going to make a difference to the people accompanying him/her. Mallorca is easy to get around in the town center, but you need a shuttle or other transport to get there.  Cadiz is compact and you dock right in town, just roll around.  Barcelona is HC friendly.  I haven’t been to the other ports.  EM

Barcelona is very, very accessible. I don’t recall if we ran into any significant obstacles anywhere we wanted to go, except one steep hill. The hop-on-hop offs have accessibility. 

Do plan ahead and get current ticketing information for the Familia. There is special pricing and easier access for individuals with disabilities to help mitigate the long lines.

Be aware of your surroundings in Marseilles. 

Happy travels!

Last year, when the excursions opened up for our upcoming Baltic cruise, we booked several accessible tours for St Petersburg, which of course no longer features on our cruise. Yes, they were more expensive than the regular tours but remember, the price (£130 in your case) is for the disabled or wheelchair using guest; the essential carer goes free.

We are travelling in a group of eight and there was one tour that we all wanted to do together. Only my wife and I though could go on the accessible mini bus. We were offered the option of them sourcing an accessible mini bus for the exclusive use of the eight of us, but the price was extortionate.

I agree with FOPman about Barcelona being accessible; you will have no problem with a wheelchair on the hop on hop off bus tour either.

Happy planning.😊

Cadiz’ hop on hop off is also accessible, but I can’t give accurate info on the stops.

The Picasso museum has a fair number of drawings, many of a sexual nature. It’s fully accessible. 

In Barcelona, the Sagrada Família will give you a good example of Gaudi’s architecture. You can’t take a wheelchair up the stairs, but you’ll have plenty to see at the main level. Park Guell is. interesting, but includes the hill I mentioned earlier. 

The only place out of those ports I don’t know very well is La Spezia. None of them need accessible excursions. They can all be done by HOHO, public transport, walking etc.

Look on WhatsinPort, local tourist board websites, Tripadvisor and Google.

I use a small mobility scooter and don’t book with them any more due to their rules on accepting them in non adapted cabins.