First time cruiser EVER!!! Mariner 3/26/06 any advise?

Hello all! I will be cruising for the first time ever on the Mariner and am hoping someone out there will give me some good advise. I am typically very anal when it comes to trips and have everything planned out in detal. I feel like this is the first time that I have no idea of what to expect! Anyone willing to give advise would be greatly appreciated! First trip with no children and going with a friend as get away! Thanks in advance for your help! -Hockeymom12

Seeing the above post about the pool drink, it reminded me of something that may be obvious BUT... I do know some first time cruisers that didn't know.. On the day of boarding, especially at sailaway, the fancy frozen drinks that the waiters are carrying aroud on their trays and offering aren't complimentary. Buy one anyway and as you hold it, use your other hand to wave Bon Voyage to anyone that you see as Mariner sails away from Port Canaveral.

Be sure to visit the observation deck/helipad at the front of the ship one day or evening while you are out at sea.

I am really looking forward to this trip and thank each of you for your advise and tips! Trust me I will be adding them to my spread sheets :) (yes, I know... scary but true!). Looking forward to meeting any of you at the Meet & Mingle party on the Mariner! Happy Sailing all! -Hockeymom12

Thank you so much for your reply to my post! I really enjoyed your photos and am now really really looking forward to joining the Mariner! I have booked the Catameran and snokel in Cozumel and String Ray & Snorkel in Grand Caymen! Any other tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks again -Hockeymom12

Tennesseecruisermom,

Thank you for your reply. I am a hockey mom and my son will not be joining me on this round. If we enjoy this trip... and I see enough to keep him occupied, I will be booking again with my son. Thanks for your response!

-Hockeymom12

I learned this piece of advice on my first cruise. Pack your bathing suit in your carry on bag that you will bring on board with you. Your luggage is taken away in port and loaded onto the ship for you. You may not see your luggage for an hour or two. One of the best parts of a cruise is sitting on deck with a cool drink and waving goodbye from the pool. Bringing your swimsuit with you in your bag makes sure you don't miss it :)

Sometimes you won't see your bags for longer than a couple hours! Took 5 hrs.on our last cruise! Wasn't sure they were even on the ship, since I didn't get them until well after we sailed. A little scary!

Don't try to "over-plan" your trip--it'll make you crazy if things don't go exactly how you thought they would. Cruises are subject to change (ports of call, the order of the ports, etc...) Try to relax and enjoy unstructured time, if you can!

Mariner is just beautiful.Was on it 1/22/06 and that was our 2nd rcl cruise and our 5th cruise in 6 years.

Enjoy yourselves. Don't feel you need to do everything, thus not enjoying anything. Major tip is pack your swim suit in carry on so you can head right to pool deck and enjoy as soon as you embark. Embark as early as you can--really makes it feel like a fuller day. We got there at 12 and the room steward let us put our carry ons in the cabin and change.

Enjoy the cafe on the promodade deck. The desserts every day change so enjoy. The cream puff pastry is to die for. I treated myself everyday to a 5:00 sample with coffee. (LAte seating of course).

As mentioned, the ice show is wonderful. Do take long pants on the trip so you can ice skate while at sea.

Enjoy the art work on each deck and walk through the cabin areas...lots of pretty things to see.

The algae wrap at the spa is really a wonderful thing...and really works...although a bit expensive on cruise. But if you are treating yourself..that is worth it.

Wear sunscreen --really strong sun.

Even though the solarium is adult only and very nice, I loved being in the center of the pool deck so I could listen to the steel drum music. Loved them!

Order as much of whatever you want. Try new things... the waiters do not care how much you order. I wanted more veggies and said that to them and they happily brought it. SO many appetizers and desserts to choose from...why pick one? GO for it and sample the new stuff that you will not have once you go home.

I work out each and every day while at home. I am slender and always lose about 5 pounds before we go on the cruise....so i feel no guilt eating and eating all the wonderful stuff that is there.

Enjoy the service in the dining rooms. It is first class.

If you are unhappy with table mates, go to maitre de first night and ask him to change your table. This is what makes a great cruise.

Pick late seating if you love the great outdoors. This way the day time is so full of things to do and you do not need to hurry in and shower and change.

Plenty of ice tea, lemonade and water instead of soda card...who needs that.

Enjoy the drink of the day without the glass they bring around. Order it without the plastic take home glass and save more money.( so you can have another drink...LOL)

Enjoy and relax...mariner is a great ship.

Things they don't tell you when you're a first-timer...

You will have a daily 'newspaper' delivered to your cabin every night- it's called the 'Cruise Compass' and it is where they list all the next day's activities. When I first cruised I wondered how everyone knew what was going on except me- duh- until I sat down and read one of those little gems.

Then the only problem I had was in trying to go to all the advertised events.......LOL

Buy a little 'sea safe'- you can get them from this site- it's a little plastic container that you keep your seapass/Visa card etc in when swimming.It hangs on a rope around your neck,you'll see lots of folks in the sea with them.

You are in for a wonderful time on the Mariner- the first time you see her you will know what I mean .When we pull up to the cruise terminal I am as high as a kite just looking at her!! WOW

Things not to miss- the Ice Show- it's hard to overstate how good it is.

Wander down the Promenade,shop and stop at one of the Pubs- the one with the guy (?Tony) playing guitar and sing-along..... fantastic entertainment.

Go to Johnny Rockets- they charge ?$3.95 each but it's great fun. 50's diner.

You can be as hectic or as relaxed as you want to be. There is NO end of things you can do. You won't have time or energy to do them all.

Sit in the Windjammer cafe and eat your breakfast every day- look out at the turquoise ocean going by- oh my,life on board is GOOD!

Under NO circumstances miss going to see the 'Quest' game. You can't ask ahead of time what it is,there are some surprise elements,but if you love fun be sure and watch (or play) the game. It is hilarious.

Oh I wish I was going. Report back to us after you get back. :)

I forgot one thing-on the first evening, dinner was 'casual dress' which I was surprised at- but my tablemates said RCCL had changed to that plan because with so many passengers to load on the Mariner they didn't all have their luggage by dinnertime. I didn't know that,so of course got all dressed up....:)

There is a very colorful and fanciful parade on your very first night. It begins after second dinner seating so that all can attend. You will not want to miss this. There is another parade near the end of the cruise, but the first is so cool, and you have the rest of your cruise yet.

Wow! You have chosen a fantastic "first" ship! My .02................Don't rush to buy "stuff" from the shops on the first day. They'll get cheaper during the week:) Take lots of pictures......enjoy the moment..... Make new friends......bring $1.00 bills (for tipping porters,etc)........pack a smile........be sure to stop and smell the sea air........HAVE A BLAST:D

Emdia43,

Wow! I can't wait to get on the ship! My friend and I are very excited and I have just about everything ready to go!!!! Again, the information you have provided is invaluable and I thank you for your insight. I will definately report back once I am back on dry land! Thanks again -hockeymom12

We just had our first ever cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. I too, am a wicked vacation "planner". My DH was very proud of how I was able to relax, and enjoy the moment. I admit to carrying around the Cruise Compass at all times, but I just read it out loud, and waited for someone in the family to perk up at the mention of one of the activities. We did over-book ourselves with shore excursions. We did so much on St. Thomas, that I was actually relieved when our tour on St. Maarten fizzled out. The tour guide was a no show, but we got our money back. We had a great time anyway, and were back to the ship in time for line-dancing!

The best advice I have, is get on board early. As newbies to the ship and to cruising, it gives you a chance to get your bearings without feeling overwhelmed.

We got there a little after noon. There was plenty of time to explore the layout of the ship, play a little mini-golf, ping-pong, sign up at the spa, whatever...

Well Mariner on the 19th will be our 2nd cruise but first on such an awesome ship. I can only imagine what my face will look like when I first see the promanade!!

I will let everyone know before we leave it will be your first and to be gentle ;)

Archived