How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

30 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Congrats!!!  I'm hoping to be able to give a Woot! Woot! if Princess smiles upon my bids for upcoming B2B October 21-28.  Enjoy the Vista Suite.  Where are you sailing???

Ours sets sail on October 15 so if they are going by sail date maybe we will hear something on our mini bid soon. We will see.

• Like 2

My friend received an email from Princess 5 days ago notifying her bid acceptance for the Reserved Collection Mini Suite (cruise will start in 3 weeks on Diamond Princess).    She was given cabin D404, very good mid-ship.  She called her CVP to ask him to mark the cabin as "No upgrade" because she really like the cabin location.  Her CVP told her it is already marked as No Upgrade, and he said, once bid accepted and cabin assigned, there will be no further changes.

She checked her booking daily.  Today, she noticed her cabin has been changed from D404 to D503. which is 11 cabins more toward aft of the ship and it is the last cabin of the M1 (Premium mini suite) before the category change to catg MB. regular mini suite.

She asked me if from now until her boarding, will the location of the cabin be changed again by Princess?  I told her most likely not, because her cabin is already the worst location of the M1 category.

So, it is not true that once assigned, Princess will no longer change your cabin.    

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

My friend received an email from Princess 5 days ago notifying her bid acceptance for the Reserved Collection Mini Suite (cruise will start in 3 weeks on Diamond Princess).    She was given cabin D404, very good mid-ship.  She called her CVP to ask him to mark the cabin as "No upgrade" because she really like the cabin location.  Her CVP told her it is already marked as No Upgrade, and he said, once bid accepted and cabin assigned, there will be no further changes.

She checked her booking daily.  Today, she noticed her cabin has been changed from D404 to D503. which is 11 cabins more toward aft of the ship and it is the last cabin of the M1 (Premium mini suite) before the category change to catg MB. regular mini suite.

She asked me if from now until her boarding, will the location of the cabin be changed again by Princess?  I told her most likely not, because her cabin is already the worst location of the M1 category.

So, it is not true that once assigned, Princess will no longer change your cabin.    

Thanks for sharing this.

I suppose technically your friend was downgraded to a worse location, not upgraded so the "No Upgrade" instruction was not violated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Thanks for sharing this.

I suppose technically your friend was downgraded to a worse location, not upgraded so the "No Upgrade" instruction was not violated.

This is very rare. Princess must have needed the cabin for some reason to move her again. 

57 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

This is very rare. Princess must have needed the cabin for some reason to move her again. 

I thought of that too.  I thought maybe her originally assigned cabin can accommodate 4 persons and they moved her to a cabin that can only accommodate 3 persons so they can sell that 4-person cabin.  So I checked the deck plan, and saw her original cabin can only accommodate3 persons, and her current cabin can only accommodate 4 persons.  

In her case, her cabin location can't get worst.  Now I am concern for my cabin.  My bid was accepted and I was assigned a mini-suite, catg MB,  in a good location on Dolphin deck.  I hope Princess will not change my cabin and give me a mini suite cabin on the Emerald deck in the aft, above Club Fusion.  

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I thought of that too.  I thought maybe her originally assigned cabin can accommodate 4 persons and they moved her to a cabin that can only accommodate 3 persons so they can sell that 4-person cabin.  So I checked the deck plan, and saw her original cabin can only accommodate3 persons, and her current cabin can only accommodate 4 persons.  

In her case, her cabin location can't get worst.  Now I am concern for my cabin.  My bid was accepted and I was assigned a mini-suite, catg MB,  in a good location on Dolphin deck.  I hope Princess will not change my cabin and give me a mini suite cabin on the Emerald deck in the aft, above Club Fusion.  

As I said, this is very rare. It might have been changed to keep families near each other or other reasons, there are many. I wouldn't worry about it. 

Last week I bid on an upgrade.  Today, I received an email titled "You have been approved and billed for your upgrade request_"

Excited, I clicked on it.  It was not from Princess and did not mention Princess.  It was from an address wilsonftannerds@gmail.com.  The content was rather generic, stilted English that makes it apparent that it is spam.

So the question is, I wonder whether the spam is related to my Princess request?  (Someone got wind I requested an upgrade).  Or whether it's just a random coincidence.

3 hours ago, deltahog said:

Last week I bid on an upgrade.  Today, I received an email titled "You have been approved and billed for your upgrade request_"

Excited, I clicked on it.  It was not from Princess and did not mention Princess.  It was from an address wilsonftannerds@gmail.com.  The content was rather generic, stilted English that makes it apparent that it is spam.

So the question is, I wonder whether the spam is related to my Princess request?  (Someone got wind I requested an upgrade).  Or whether it's just a random coincidence.

An office prank?

17 hours ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Was the reason that another bid -- perhaps a higher bid than the original - came in they got bumped to the different location?

1 hour ago, HiCCCs said:

Was the reason that another bid -- perhaps a higher bid than the original - came in they got bumped to the different location?

I kind of doubt it.   If that is true, then Princess will be constantly switching cabins that were already assigned for prior accepted bids as soon as a high bid comes in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I kind of doubt it.   If that is true, then Princess will be constantly switching cabins that were already assigned for prior accepted bids as soon as a high bid comes in. 

It does appear that the bidding system could be quite complicated in practice.  Could be that Princess had a higher bid which they also decided to accept and the computers or whatever does the bookings shuffled the individual with a lower bid to a peripheral cabin of the same class.

But in the end, the passenger got what they bid for and requested.

Enjoy!!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

In her case, her cabin location can't get worst.

Did you tell her this or did she know it's the worst location?

Edited by startedwithamouse

18 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Did you tell her this or did she know it's the worst location?

I just told her.  All Reserved Collection cabins on the Diamond Princess are in the middle section on the Dolphin deck.  So even she got the last cabin (aft) of catg. M1, it is still midship.  Her cabin is D503, right next to regular mini suite (catg MB), a lower price category than hers.    

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, deltahog said:

No an email unknown to the office.

75% chance pure coincidence, 25% chance some entity picked up on my Princess upgrade bid.

Anyone can set up a gmail address. As long as it’s not already in use. Give your coworker pranksters some credit.

22 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Anyone can set up a gmail address. As long as it’s not already in use. Give your coworker pranksters some credit.

What I'm saying is that they don't even know the email I use for private business.  MY email that received the spam, is known to -0- people in the office.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I just told her.  All Reserved Collection cabins on the Diamond Princess are in the middle section on the Dolphin deck.  So even she got the last cabin (aft) of catg. M1, it is still midship.  Her cabin is D503, right next to regular mini suite (catg MB), a lower price category than hers.    

She wouldn't have known then and been happy with her upgrade if you didn't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

She wouldn't have known then and been happy with her upgrade if you didn't. 

When she first got the upgrade 6 days ago, from the Princess email, she knew she was given cabin D404.  Princess didn't send her another email notifying her of the cabin change.  I noticed it yesterday when I checked her Princess account to make sure her stockholder OBC was credited.  This morning I told her about her cabin change.  She actually likes the new cabin location better, because now she is only 3 cabins away from our cabin.  😄

The reason for my original post was letting others know that even after you have been assigned a cabin from the bid acceptance, Princess can still change it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Placed my first ever bid yesterday afternoon and received the "We got your Princess Upgrade bid!" email as expected.

I now wish to increase my bid (since I made the minimum) and find the link in the email just displays a summary of my bid with a "Modify your offer" page title but no button or anything I can find to click on to make a change.

Same result if I go to the Princess website and enter my name and booking # in the Upgrade section (which is how I got the bid made initially).

Am I having a [Chrome] browser issue?  Does it take X hours after a bid is submitted for the "modify / cancel" function to become available?  The cruise is exactly 30 days away if that means anything.  Also, my booking was made in July through a TA who was asked to mark it "No Upgrade" since I have had problems in the past with Princess changing my cabin assignment without notice to one I did not care for.

It would be wishful thinking that the system is in the process of accepting my offer and my CC will be taking the hit any second now.

Any assistance in making a change to my bid would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LBCABob said:

Placed my first ever bid yesterday afternoon and received the "We got your Princess Upgrade bid!" email as expected.

I now wish to increase my bid (since I made the minimum) and find the link in the email just displays a summary of my bid with a "Modify your offer" page title but no button or anything I can find to click on to make a change.

Same result if I go to the Princess website and enter my name and booking # in the Upgrade section (which is how I got the bid made initially).

Am I having a [Chrome] browser issue?  Does it take X hours after a bid is submitted for the "modify / cancel" function to become available?  The cruise is exactly 30 days away if that means anything.  Also, my booking was made in July through a TA who was asked to mark it "No Upgrade" since I have had problems in the past with Princess changing my cabin assignment without notice to one I did not care for.

It would be wishful thinking that the system is in the process of accepting my offer and my CC will be taking the hit any second now.

Any assistance in making a change to my bid would be greatly appreciated!

The "modify your offer" line in your welcome email in blue is the link. click on that.

• Thanks 1