Starlight Starbright...

For all of you who have traveled on a cruise, question: at night can you see the stars? My DH love astronomy and living in a city, the stars are not so "clear". What has been your experiences with stargazing?

Dona :)

Here is a website to find out the moon phases for your cruise time--stars are even better when no moon-shine (NO, not that kind, a little Champagne works wonders!) is there to brighten the sky: http://Http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon

It looks as though the moon will be headed toward full around the 8th of October, so you may need to check further to find rise and set times at: http://aa.usno.navy.mil.data.docs

Of course, moonlight itself is a nice thing to have on a cruise. Hope this helps.

Do some searches on the threads... I can't remember where, but there was one person that said he got charts for the particular region he was cruising and possibly gave some websites he got them.

It might have been on the huge "So you're an expert.." tips thread

This might be a cool surprize gift to give DH once on the ship.

Do some searches on the threads... I can't remember where, but there was one person that said he got charts for the particular region he was cruising and possibly gave some websites he got them.

It might have been on the huge "So you're an expert.." tips thread

This might be a cool surprize gift to give DH once on the ship.

Perfect idea. I know DH is looking forward to seeing the stars. It's a shame that we can't take advantage of his telescope every night. We tend to go to the lake or the mountains to view.

Speaking of telescopes, does Rhapsody have an observation deck that we could get to and use our binoculars? I personally, am looking forward to some moonlit strolls on deck with my DH next to me...

...Speaking of telescopes, does Rhapsody have an observation deck that we could get to and use our binoculars? I personally, am looking forward to some moonlit strolls on deck with my DH next to me...

On the Rhapsody, it is deck 10 at the front of the ship. There are no lights this far forward due to the bridge officers wanting it dark to see ahead. It is a real experience to see the stars. I took a first time cruiser up there and led her up with her eyes closed. When she opened them and saw all the stars, I thought she was going to cry. Well, I my have been standing on her toes!:D

The Enchantment did have an automated star chart system that was originally installed when she was built. But I believe it was removed when she was stretched. Does anyone know if the star chart system is on any other ships?

Hypo

Thank you all for the suggestions and stories... I look forward to sharing with this board in a few months.

I'll never forget the time that we set up my DH's new telescope (a present for Christmas) and saw Saturn. It really makes one think about their place in the universe and to see different planets, nibulas, and see the Milky Way (which is oh so beautiful,it kind of looks like "dust"in the sky). I wish we could take his telescope.. LOL

Dona

Yes, done this many times. Go up to the top deck as forward as you can, there will be absolutely no lights all the way forward at night when the ship is at sea. The bridge has to keep those lights off so there is no glare. Look up, close your eyes for about a minute. Open your eyes and you will see everything. You don't need to close your eyes, they will adjust on their own, but it just speeds uip the precess a bit :p

I could be wrong but didn't the Grandeur have a star chart in the front of the ship on the observation deck?

Yes, but they are a few days off. One is for southern hemisphere, the other is for northern hemisphere. Both were almost a week off. I thought the deck lights on the observation platform were still very bright, you'll see the brighter constellations but that's about it. Try getting to the back by the rock wall, if you can get somewhere to stand in a shadow or shade your eyes you'll see more. Of course, the most awesome star gazing on a ship I had was crossing Lake Michigan on the car ferry in the middle of the night. Lake Michigan was like a sheet of glass, the ferry doesn't have lights on the bow and you couldn't tell where the stars ended and the water began. The water reflected the stars perfectly, I even saw a falling star. It was like sailing through space. You had to look close to the side of the ship before seeing stars distorted by the bow wave. Due to movement and vibration you can't use a telescope on a ship, good binoculars are your best bet.

Archived