Questions re transatlantic cruise from Rome to Tampa, including Covid testing

ItzRav

My wife and I will be embarking on our first ever trans-Atlantic cruise at the end of October (from Rome to Tampa), and we would welcome feedback from folks who have done this previously.  Feel free to comment on any or all of the items below:

• We are arriving one day early in Rome (at 8:00 am) and will be staying at the Hotel Cicerone.  Not sure when we will be able to actually check in to our hotel and plan to explore early check-in, but that may not be an option.  Are there any suggestions for “must see” attractions—possibly within walking distance? We are not particularly adventurous and don’t expect to have much energy after a trans-Atlantic flight, plus my wife has some mobility issues.  Unfortunately, Celebrity does not seem to offer any official excursions.

• Along this line, are there any nearby restaurants that folks recommend for dinner?  We assume the hotel food would not be the best.

• What kind of weather are we likely to encounter while at sea?  All of our previous cruises have been to the Caribbean, so we don’t know what to expect out on the Atlantic.  Would a light jacket with layers underneath do the trick?

• How rough are we likely to find the sea?  Generally things have been calm in the Caribbean, but we suspect that will not be the case crossing the Atlantic.

• At the moment, it does not appear that there are any Covid restrictions for entering Italy.  We are both vaccinated and boosted and understand Celebrity requires a negative Covid test two days (not three as for some other cruises currently) prior to boarding the ship. We are planning to take a proctored Covid test on Thursday morning, our flight is that afternoon around 5:30, and boarding will be Saturday afternoon, which is a pretty tight timeline.  Has anyone encountered issues with the testing procedures?

• Any general suggestions/warnings/recommendations from more experienced travelers would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your input!

We have sailed at that time of year and did not need any more than a light jacket if we wanted to spend time at night outdoors - more windy than cold.  For us the sail was very smooth and we wore clothes we would in spring/summer weather - shorts, capris, dresses.  As always consider if you are cool inside the ship, that may warrant longer sleeves for some people.

7 hours ago, ItzRav said:

My wife and I will be embarking on our first ever trans-Atlantic cruise at the end of October (from Rome to Tampa), and we would welcome feedback from folks who have done this previously.  Feel free to comment on any or all of the items below:

•  Are there any suggestions for “must see” attractions—possibly within walking distance? We are not particularly adventurous and don’t expect to have much energy after a trans-Atlantic flight, plus my wife has some mobility issues. 
  •  

I'm taking the liberty of offering only one suggestion. If this is your first trip to Rome and If possible, I very much recommned flying in two days early. It goes without saying you will be jetlagged and will need sometime resting which will definitely limit your time to see "the must sees'".

Edited by Loracpin2
Spelling

We are going on that TA.

We have sailed quite a few TA's. Love them!!

We have found the weather to be pleasant. Some days, shirt weather other days sweater and wind breaker. 

Since you will be tired, I suggest you just arrive at the hotel, rest if need be and then just walk down the local streets. Many restaurants and cafes, stop, look at menus and see if locals are eating there. trust me, you will enjoy EVERYTHING, the food and the ambiance and the experience.

In regards to your hotel, look online and contact them. ask if you can pre check the luggage (then you know for sure) Im sure it will be yes.

For the weather on the TA, it is usually pleasant. If you do walking outside, it can be super windy. I usually bring a hat and gloves but don’t often need them. But, I like to walk laps for an hour or two each day on the crossings and it can be super windy!  I don’t think it is noticeable if you aren’t on the track loop. 

see you on the ship! We are going to have fun!