Need advice regarding customer service issue....

sunandsea4me

We sailed on the Norwegian Majesty in Feb 2005, won a credit toward a future cruise and have had numerous problems getting our next cruise finalized. After speaking with countless agents and several supervisors, and waiting on a return call currently, we aren't sure what to do next. Any suggestions on some other department to speak with or how long I should wait before forwarding problem to Colin Veitch?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Norwegian Majesty - 2005

Carnival Inspiration - 2003

Norwegian Sun - 2002

Carnival Victory - 2001

Carnival Fantasy - 1996

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - 1995

The details are we are being told that we cannot apply our credit voucher because we needed to complete our cruise within the year date of the voucher even though the voucher clearly states we only have to apply the voucher within the year and we are being assessed a penalty for changing our reservation prior to our final payment date.

I have detailed the dates, times, agents I've spoken with, and the outcome of each conversation the whole way through this process.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

Well you can beg for an exception. Most if not all credits must be used in a year (applied = start cruise). Extending the terms of the credit is something none of the front line managers can do.

You don't have a customer service issue but an issue driven by time and changes on your part. NCL is applying the correct terms and conditions and it is having a negative impact on you.

That said it would make sense for an exception in order to keep a repeat customer. You might consider an email asking for an exception.

Loyal customer, misunderstood the terms, can you help, we want to cruise with NCL, thanks.

You could try Andy Stuart - VP marketing and ask who could you work with to resolve the situation. He owns the reservations department.

astuart@ncl.com

Good luck

I am surprised you are being charged a penalty, but as for the voucher and when it can be used it sounds like a mis communicataion to me. I have never seen one that states applied within one year: they always must be used within that year. I have to agree with Shoreguy, this isn't a problem with customer service but with your needing to make changes.

All you can do now is try to get someone to make an exception. This is not totally impossible by anymeans. Good luck,

NMNnita

Following a very serious problem with NCL, I have decided to walk away from them completely.

In December 2005 I booked a 20 night cruise/stay from Santiago to Philadelphia commencing on the 4th April 2007.

Two weeks ago I discovered from my roll call that the cruise had been cut short by 3 sea days and the destination port changed from Philadelphia to Miami due to a private charter for the 2007 cricket world cup.

I contacted my TA who in turn contacted NCL UK.

NCL UK said they had no idea what I was talking about, despite the fact that my booking had infact been changed on the system. They offered, verbally, £200 reduction in the cruise and $50 cabin credit.

I have since found out that not only have TA's not been told of the changes...worldwide...but the original cruise is still being sold on the ship.

I sent a scathing email to Colin Veitch two weeks ago when this saga was first discovered, to date no reply.

Today my TA rang me. NCL Miami has sent a set letter, not addressed to anyone in particular saying that the cruise has been cut short from 20 to 16 nights and the destination port has been changed. There has been a £200 reduction in cost and $50 cabin credit (max $100 per stateroom) will be awarded to those who sail. Cancellation will not result in loss of deposit.

I find this to be absolutely disgusting. I found this out two weeks ago and the cruise in its original form is being sold still. They had the nerve to send out a letter in a 'oh by the way' format saying the cruise has changed.

Bad business practice. I shall not sail with NCL at any time in the future as this is no way to treat customers. We did not come down in the last shower of rain.

I was the one who discovered the cruise had changed from a 3rd party. That should never have happened IMO.

The charter was booked/confirmed in January 2006, they still took bookings and deposits for the original itinerary after that point, knowing full well that the ship was not doing the advertised cruise and in the last couple of weeks...when I brought the change to their attention..the cruise vanished off the company website altogether...how strange:confused: :mad:

Their customer services are ridiculous and they have no idea what the left hand is doing from the right one.

Following a very serious problem with NCL, I have decided to walk away from them completely.

In December 2005 I booked a 20 night cruise/stay from Santiago to Philadelphia commencing on the 4th April 2007.

Two weeks ago I discovered from my roll call that the cruise had been cut short by 3 sea days and the destination port changed from Philadelphia to Miami due to a private charter for the 2007 cricket world cup.

NCL UK said they had no idea what I was talking about, despite the fact that my booking had infact been changed on the system. They offered, verbally, £200 reduction in the cruise and $50 cabin credit.

I have since found out that not only have TA's not been told of the changes...worldwide...but the original cruise is still being sold on the ship.

I sent a scathing email to Colin Veitch two weeks ago when this saga was first discovered, to date no reply.

Today my TA rang me. NCL Miami has sent a set letter, not addressed to anyone in particular saying that the cruise has been cut short from 20 to 16 nights and the destination port has been changed. There has been a £200 reduction in cost and $50 cabin credit (max $100 per stateroom) will be awarded to those who sail. Cancellation will not result in loss of deposit.

I find this to be absolutely disgusting. I found this out two weeks ago and the cruise in its original form is being sold still. They had the nerve to send out a letter in a 'oh by the way' format saying the cruise has changed.

Bad business practice. I shall not sail with NCL at any time in the future as this is no way to treat customers. We did not come down in the last shower of rain.

I was the one who discovered the cruise had changed from a 3rd party. That should never have happened IMO.

The charter was booked/confirmed in January 2006, they still took bookings and deposits for the original itinerary after that point, knowing full well that the ship was not doing the advertised cruise and in the last couple of weeks...when I brought the change to their attention..the cruise vanished off the company website altogether...how strange:confused: :mad:

Their customer services are ridiculous and they have no idea what the left hand is doing from the right one.

Well according to my company system it has been corrected and is listed as a 13 day cruise from So America to Miami leaving on the 8th of April. I understand your disappointment, you have every right to be upset, but we are talking about over a year away plus you have been offered a full refund or a discount on the cruise plus an on board credit. Learning it 3rd hand is not acceptable, but you now have the information direct from your TA with 13 months to make other plans if you choose. If you do not sail NCL again, that is your choice: I will tell you, this does not only happen on one cruise line; right or wrong, it happens more than we want to think about. NMnita

It isn't even April 2006 yet. I routinely get notices from my airline (I fly frequently) advising me Matter-of-factly about itinerary changes. They don't call, they just send an email stating the the flight time has changed.

It's unfortunate that you won't be cruising anymore, it's a wonderful form of vacation. Since any and all cruiselines maintain the option to change their itineraries without notice, I assume you'll be avoiding all of them.

Please note that airlines, trains, buses all reserve that same right, so I guess it's the highway...or no way...for you.

The fact that a 3rd party found out a month before your travel agent means absolutely nothing, considering the cruise isn't next month. That they advised TAs 13 months in advance of the change is commendable.

That they're offering shipboard credit of $100 / cabin is amazing. There's no cause for ANY compensation offer.

I wish you well in the UK, though if you're able to overcome your rigidity over schedule changes, perhaps you could explore the rest of the world. It's QUITE intriguing, and far more easy-going.

Excuse me but they did not tell anyone until I told NCL UK that I had found out it had changed.

NO-ONE at NCL UK knew about the charter until I told them after reading about it here.

NCL US took the charter booking, confirmed it, took deposits BUT DID NOT CHANGE the cruise itinerary until this weekend on the sales systems.

NCL US knew about the change in December 05, the failed to notify anyone until today...3 months after accepting my booking and they were still accepting bookings for the cruise on the ship last week using the longer itinerary.

That is what has annoyed me, they did not bother to have the courtesy to contact anyone til 3 months after the charter was paid for.

They did not give anyone information when asking about the changes either, they pretended they knew nothing about the charter.

I do not care if it is 1 month or 13 months away, it is common courtesy to inform TA's, guests etc at the time of the charter being confirmed, not let people know after the people find out by other means.

Excuse me but they did not tell anyone until I told NCL UK that I had found out it had changed.

NO-ONE at NCL UK knew about the charter until I told them after reading about it here.

NCL US took the charter booking, confirmed it, took deposits BUT DID NOT CHANGE the cruise itinerary until this weekend on the sales systems.

NCL US knew about the change in December 05, the failed to notify anyone until today...3 months after accepting my booking and they were still accepting bookings for the cruise on the ship last week using the longer itinerary.

That is what has annoyed me, they did not bother to have the courtesy to contact anyone til 3 months after the charter was paid for.

They did not give anyone information when asking about the changes either, they pretended they knew nothing about the charter.

I do not care if it is 1 month or 13 months away, it is common courtesy to inform TA's, guests etc at the time of the charter being confirmed, not let people know after the people find out by other means.

I am sorry I misunderstood your first posting: I didn't realize you called UK NCL and then they informed the TAs, but I still do beleive you are over reacting; you have cruised so much, you loved the Jewel and now, 13 months out with no financual loss you have decided not to ever cruise NCL again. This, of course is your decision. Whatever line you decide to cruise next chill out a little and don't let things get to you; this is what causes heart attacks as well as major problems at home. LOL Nita

I also think you're overreacting. It isn't NCL's fault that you decided to take a charter, and not a commercial flight.

NCL US changed the itinerary. In the time it takes to solidify the new itinerary, and to disseminate the information to internal reps, international offices, and TA's worldwide, you found out about it.

I am certain that NCL UK and your TA would have found out about this itinerary change even without your assistance.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure why you are so worked up. Either cancel the trip, or enjoy the shorter trip. End in Miami. Explore Florida, then take a short flight to Philadelphia, and resume your charter flight from there.

Enjoy your vacation. No sense in getting worked up about it.

OMG...

1. I was booked onto a 20 night cruise/stay. CONFIRMED IN WRITING.

2. Others on this board, from Finland and other countries booked on this same holiday in the last few weeks. CONFIRMED IN WRITING.

3. NCL took a charter for the same ship from a group of Australians that clashed dates with the cruise I and many others are booked on. Thus DOUBLE BOOKING THE SHIP.

4. I found out about the double booking from one of those Australians who are on the charter cruise that clashed with my dates.

5. I discovered this 2 weeks ago and rang NCL UK who had no idea about the clashing ship charter or the fact that the cruise they have been selling did not exist in the format they were selling it in, ie the longer duration ending in Philadelphia.

The ship now sails from Santiago to Miami, ship then goes on PRIVATE CHARTER with Australian sports promoters arounf the Carribbean for the cricket world cup 2007.

It is a 13 day private charter. Which means my cruise was cut short and any after that have been cancelled/rearranged.

NCL US booked the ship for the private charter but did not tell anyone, including their own cruise sales staff on the ship and the overseas offices.

SO....

NCL UK, Germany and others were until this weekend selling the original 20 night cruise/stay, NCL US were sending out confirmations that it was the 20 night cruise/stay...but it wasn't that holiday at all, it had been cut short....NCL US just forgot to tell anyone that little fact.

I alerted the UK office that there was a conflict of dates and destinations and they did not know about it and they had not been told of any changes made by NCL US.

The Private Charter of Norwegian Crown from Miami was confirmed in December 2005, the charter starts on April 21st 2007 for 13 nights.

I booked the original itinerary of 20 nights ending in Philadelphia on the 24th April 2007. This booking was confirmed in writing by NCL US in January 2006.

Now if you guys do not see the distinct problem in communication tween NCL HQ in Miami who booked both cruises knowing that both cruises were impossible, and the rest of the world then I give up.

I also checked several online agencies and up until Friday of last week, they all showed the original itinerary on the original dates and destination of Philadelphia. These agencies were on both sides of the Atlantic.

Its a cock-up in NCL HQ Miami to have two cruises booked/confirmed in writing when they conflict dates. Its double booking the ship in anyone's language.

Sunandsea4me: I agree with the above posters. Customer service wot be able to do anything for you. You need to go higher up.

Goldryder: Sounds like somebody dropped the ball at NCL. Definite miscommunication between NCL-UK & NCL-US but $&(# happens (on every cruiseline) People make mistakes. Luckily you are over a year out and not finding out when it's too late to make alternate plans.

Sorry you're so disappointed. I'm sure you were really looking forward to a 20 night cruise! Wow! Not sure I could do it but I'm willing to try LOL :D

~Connie

The Private Charter of Norwegian Crown from Miami was confirmed in December 2005, the charter starts on April 21st 2007 for 13 nights.

I booked the original itinerary of 20 nights ending in Philadelphia on the 24th April 2007. This booking was confirmed in writing by NCL US in January 2006.

I'm just curious as to who at NCL told you it was confirmed in December 2005? You said that when you contacted NCL they didn't know anything about it.

MAYBE...the Australians THOUGHT it was confirmed in December, but final contracts weren't signed until February.

There are many things which could be happening behind the scenes.

Sorry your cruise was adjusted - You have been around here enough to know that happens regularly. I for one think it is remarkable that the change was communicated over a year in advance. The fact you new sooner is a tribute to the power of CC.

I expect many other changes in itineraries currently published for 2007. Whole ships could go away. Two new ships coming online. All the Dawn itineraries were change for fall of this year effecting many passengers. Full ship charters are spelled out in you documentation as a reason for change.

The fact the contract was reported on the internet to be cut in December does not mean any of the reservation people new anything about it. With 16 months until the cruise they perhaps were not a quick as they should have been in deciding what changes to make to your cruise. Who knows they may have looked at a completely different one with changes in ports. Once the changes were complete they let the TAs know over a year in advance

Had this happened a few months in advance of you cruise I might better understand your reaction. Could it have been more timely, sure. Is it a customer service disaster - I just can't see it that way.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Sorry your holiday was disrupted - and people wonder why the cruiselines don't publish itineraries years in advance.

While Customer Service issues are aggravating, and, I felt the reception people on the Dawn this February were not aware of several policies, I would never "give up" and decide not to sail NCL. Too many other good things going for them, and I am very stubborn.

Hope you find a vacation that you can enjoy.

OMG...

1. I was booked onto a 20 night cruise/stay. CONFIRMED IN WRITING.

2. Others on this board, from Finland and other countries booked on this same holiday in the last few weeks. CONFIRMED IN WRITING.

3. NCL took a charter for the same ship from a group of Australians that clashed dates with the cruise I and many others are booked on. Thus DOUBLE BOOKING THE SHIP.

4. I found out about the double booking from one of those Australians who are on the charter cruise that clashed with my dates.

5. I discovered this 2 weeks ago and rang NCL UK who had no idea about the clashing ship charter or the fact that the cruise they have been selling did not exist in the format they were selling it in, ie the longer duration ending in Philadelphia.

The ship now sails from Santiago to Miami, ship then goes on PRIVATE CHARTER with Australian sports promoters arounf the Carribbean for the cricket world cup 2007.

It is a 13 day private charter. Which means my cruise was cut short and any after that have been cancelled/rearranged.

NCL US booked the ship for the private charter but did not tell anyone, including their own cruise sales staff on the ship and the overseas offices.

SO....

NCL UK, Germany and others were until this weekend selling the original 20 night cruise/stay, NCL US were sending out confirmations that it was the 20 night cruise/stay...but it wasn't that holiday at all, it had been cut short....NCL US just forgot to tell anyone that little fact.

I alerted the UK office that there was a conflict of dates and destinations and they did not know about it and they had not been told of any changes made by NCL US.

Now if you guys do not see the distinct problem in communication tween NCL HQ in Miami who booked both cruises knowing that both cruises were impossible, and the rest of the world then I give up.

I also checked several online agencies and up until Friday of last week, they all showed the original itinerary on the original dates and destination of Philadelphia. These agencies were on both sides of the Atlantic.

Its a cock-up in NCL HQ Miami to have two cruises booked/confirmed in writing when they conflict dates. Its double booking the ship in anyone's language.

I am sorry for what has happened, and I agree with your being upset -- I would have blown a gasket. NMNita's post was disturbing since she would know if this happens elsewhere, and apparently it does. I actually posted elsewhere today that this is the kind of thing that makes me think that the Congressman from out east who had the hearings on cruise lines needed to investigate business practices as well as safety issues.

This is a case of "bumping" for a buck, imo. The ship got a more lucrative deal, so they decided to "bump" the other booked passengers. In the long run, it's stupid, because they will drive folks away from their line, but then, a year out, maybe they didn't have many booked to drive away. (One of the absolutely awful things about business today is it's all about the quarter, not even the year) In any case, you could imagine the havoc if airlines could do this -- hey, buddy, this guy just offered me an extra 100 for your seat, so let the bidding begin, or find another plane! Business practices which are allowed in the cruise industry, aren't allowed, elsewhere.

I am working on a first ever family cruise for next March (8 or more couples,possible) -- after all my investigating and tutoring of first time family cruisers, I'd be real upset if something AVOIDABLE would happen with that cruise.

Finally, you have enough posts here to know if you EVER complain, justified, eggregious, or not, you are going to get flamed by someone who thinks that those whose anger moves the world forward should turn red and blow it out their ears, rather than open their mouth.

Finally, you have enough posts here to know if you EVER complain, justified, eggregious, or not, you are going to get flamed by someone who thinks that those whose anger moves the world forward should turn red and blow it out their ears, rather than open their mouth.

I don't see anybody flaming Goldryder. I think everybody understands the disappointment she feels that her itinerary was changed, and her being upset that the change wasn't properly communicated. BUT, a few of us (myself included) question whether her decision never to sail with NCL again is an overreaction, given the following facts: the sailing is over a year away; she is suffering no financial hardship as a result of the itinerary change; and she has expressed satisfaction with her past NCL cruises (in prior posts).

jaxon, this situation is nothing like the Dream problems. Like it or not and most of do not the almighty $$ does talk. That being said, I really don't think Goldryder has much to be so upset about. The disappointment factor is there, I wouldn't be very happy either, but there's stil time to change to another ship, another line or another type of vacation. As for investigating business practices I really don't think that will happen in the near future. This is why I am always reluctant to book clients too far in advance and why the published itineraries quite often do not come out til about a year ahead. I have clients right now that are ready to book next sping (late spring) or early summer for transatlantic or Europe. Very few itineraries are available. BTW this does not mean I don't feel for those who have these things happen, I just know it isn't going to change soon. NMnita

It is the principle.

NCL HQ Miami knew the at the ship would not be doing the original published and confirmed itinerary in December 2005, yet they chose to continue not only marketing the cruise in its original formatting but to sell it and confirm in writing each booking made and accepting deposits thereof.

As soon as that private charter had been confirmed and paid for, the cruise from Santiago should have been withdrawn and they should have communicated to all TA's, their ship staff and worldwide offices that the original published cruise had in fact been changed.

They did not do this until 3 months after the charter was confirmed and after several people, including groups, had booked the original itinerary...this is a very popular itinerary as it passes through the Panama Canal and over the Equator and visits places not on any other NCL ship itinerary. It sells out very quickly for this reason.

At the end of the day, it still makes no difference if the cruise is a few months out or a year out.

They should have notified everyone of the changes and withdrawn the cruise from sale the moment the charter was confirmed and not left it 3 months to do so...and after one person happened to notice the problem on a chat board.

The wording of the letter advising of the changes was not addressed to anyone, just a note stuffed into an envelope. That is not the way to do business. Simple as that. They have been in the cruise industry long enough not to make such blatant errors. There was not even an apology in the letter, nothing whatsoever.

All cruiselines change some sailings -- ports, duration, ship, even cancel whole thing. The itinerary change itself is no outrage, taking place so far away from the sailing date.

The issue was the lack of timely communication when the change occured. It's a significant gap between between when the itinerary change happened and when it was communicated, totally needless and dysfunctional too. The additional advanced notice would have been useful to customers, even if the sailing is so far away. Something is really broken and needs to be fixed there.

NCL HQ Miami knew the at the ship would not be doing the original published and confirmed itinerary in December 2005, yet they chose to continue not only marketing the cruise in its original formatting but to sell it and confirm in writing each booking made and accepting deposits thereof.
Not sure it's wise to get into this fray but I have a question of something you've said a few times. You got confirmation of your booking in January. You didn't book after the date the change was made right? So how do you know that more bookings were made off the original itinerary? Who do you know that actually booked the cruise during that time? Also, how was it marketed after the change date?

Archived